Search

California sun??

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 11:21 AM
Jamie

California sun??

Hi, I am planning a trip round California at the end of September/ beginning of October. I am travelling to Yosemite, Death Valley and up the coast from LA to San Francisco. What will the temperature like at this time of year? Can I expect much sun?

Jamie

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 11:25 AM
katie

should be plenty of sunshine

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 11:52 AM
LADude

We're having a big heat wave this week. Record breaking temps all over the Southland. It was unseasonable cool 2 weeks ago, now unseasonable hot this week. So no one can predict what you should expect by the end of the month.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 12:07 PM
xxx

topping for Jamie

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 12:13 PM
KT

Temperatures here in the San Francisco area vary widely at this time of year depending upon whether or not the fog is in, not to mention exactly which microclimate you're in. This weekend was sunny and HOT in the East Bay (in the 90's), last night the fog rolled in and this morning I had to wear a light jacket.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 12:14 PM
Brad

Jamie, I can at least speak for So Cal, perhaps someone else with authority for the North. Sun won't be a problem, as rain would be very rare that time of year. However, Sept/Oct is kind of a transition period for CA weather, and the temperatures can be unpredictable and extreme in inland California. You might have days that top out at 55-65F, or you might have days that top out at 90-95F. Chances are it will be right in the middle, with plenty of sun. Either way, the evenings will be cool, probably down to 55-65F at coastal So Cal, and 45-55F inland and in Death Valley. This is California's "dress in layers" time of year. Happy travels!

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 12:49 PM
Native

Jamie,

Have you ever been to California before? People who have never been here have this idea of palm trees, beaches and endless sunshine. It is not that way at all.

The real California has very smoggy cities, traffic congestion that will make you want to scream and a "very" diverse culture.

From your itinerary, Yosemite is very scenic and very crowded. Death Valley is ....Death Valley. For some it's an attraction. LA is a very large sprawling area that is very, very smoggy and difficult to drive around unless you understand the freeway system. Then, it is usually more like a parking lot than a freeway.

That time of year in San Francisco could be very nice. Usually September, October and even November are pretty nice in the Bay Area.

The best part of your trip will probably be the drive from LA to SF. Search Fodors for tons and tons of information of things to do, places to see and stay.
You might find it interesting on your drive from LA to SF and watch the trees and the landscape get greener the further North you go.

Native

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 01:49 PM
Carolyn

I have been to many of your stops, so here goes:
1) Yosemite is beautiful (we get there at least once or twice a year - we live only about 3 hrs away) Definate plan on wearing layers, it will warm up some in the afternoon and get down right cool to cold in PM.

2) Death Valley is a place that either you love or hate (I love it - the raw beauty of the land is great, if you love the So. West you will love Death Valley.) You will still have some warm to hot days in the actual valley (we normally go end of October to mid November - then the weather is more like Yosemite) but the nites will get cool, definately need the sweater.

3) LA to San Francisco is a great trip in it self. There are many towns to stop & spend your time at. The weather is more varied there - so plan on everything from cold to blistering hot (this changes all the time - even through out the day!)

Overall I would plan on wearing layers & taking shorts and long pants. Have a great time!!!

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 05:31 PM
utahtea

Hi Jamie,

Carolyn did a great job with her post!

My only suggestion would be to do Yosemite first and Death Valley last if possible. This way you are more likely to have warmer weather in Yosemite and not to hot of weather in Death Valley.

Utahtea

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 07:22 PM
Bob

Jamie,

Most of California will be sunny. San Francisco on the other hand will most likely be cold (60's for the high) and foggy most of the day. The sun maky peake out for a fews hours during the day. if you blink you will miss it.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 09:39 AM
J Correa

Actually, September and October are generally very sunny months in SF and along the rest of the coast with little or no fog with temperatures in the high 70s, even low 80s.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 08:39 AM
xxx

Napa is downright HOT in Sept and Oct.