Search

California car rental recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2015, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
California car rental recommendations

Hi all,
Am planning a 10-day roadtrip this September from San Francisco to LA. Can anyone recommend a good car rental company that won't charge insane drop off fees for returning the car to a different location? I just checked Hertz and got a quote for about $500 but it didn't mention anything about a drop off fee and I'm afraid that once we go to drop it off they'll add on some ridiculous charge.

If anyone has any experience with a one-way car rental in California please let me know!
Old Aug 15th, 2015, 08:19 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Any quote you're given that asks for pick-up and drop-off locations will include a charge, if there is one. If you suspect the first number you're given, continue to the end of the booking process to see the final quote. Book it, even, as all car rentals I've encountered offer cancellation at no charge. Then print and bring the reservation quote with you, or on your device, if you're still worried. I'd worry more about insurance coverage strong-arm tactics than an undisclosed drop-off charge.
Old Aug 15th, 2015, 08:48 AM

You should check up front about drop off. In my experience they usually don't charge for this between major cities in the same state. But always ask - and print out the details of the reservation you have made
Old Aug 15th, 2015, 08:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The final price (not including insurances and extra add-ons like GPS) must be quoted in total, so your Hertz quote already includes the drop fee.

Prices are generally lower if you are not a U.S. citizen, and insurance should already be included (check the rate quote carefully).

If you are in doubt, make your online reservation and then phone Hertz with your confirmation number to assure yourself that there is no additional drop fee.
Old Aug 15th, 2015, 10:56 AM

One more thing to check.

I did a search on Kayak and, like you, found Hertz to have by far the best prices for this one-way rental. HOWEVER, the low price applies only to cars rented off-site from SFO. Make certain about WHERE you will be picking up the car!

Of course, you might want to spend a few days in the Bay Area without a car, pick up your rental away from the airport (where you'll be anyway), and then drive down to L.A.
Old Aug 15th, 2015, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all! @PaulRabe, we do plan on spending a couple days in San Francisco before hitting the road, so we can definitely avoid picking up a car at the airport itself.

I also did a search on Alamo and it was $1,300...so that's why I'm generally wary as I can't understand why there'd be such a discrepancy between companies.

Anyways, I will certainly take everyone's advice here and call to confirm the final quote, read the fine print and print off the reservation in case there are any issues.
Old Aug 15th, 2015, 12:51 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Google "rental car coupons" for discounts. I've used this one quite successfully:

http://www.rentalcarmomma.com
Old Aug 16th, 2015, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip -- I'll check those out!