Cabins in Yellowstone

Jan 14th, 2005, 08:31 PM
Original Poster

Cabins in Yellowstone

Heard many different (contradictory) things about the various cabins in the park, but you rarely know which category of cabin the poster is referring to. I'm wondering if anyone can speak to the differences in the cabin categories. I'm planning to stay in Canyon and maybe Old Faithful as well. Other than the pricetag, what are the important differences between pioneer ($62), frontier ($86) and western ($125) cabins?
Jan 15th, 2005, 12:23 AM

can't the park tell you? we stayed at a cabin MANY years ago, and it was RUSTIC, just for sleeping, really, but we had no desire to spend anymore. i assume it was the lowest level.
certainly not a place to dine in, etc.

but it was a last minute cancellation that we were able to grab on our way through. we did enjoy it anyway, and would stay there again .
Jan 15th, 2005, 08:17 AM

The difference between the cabins are size and usually amenities (private vs shared baths is one of them). Whenever we've stayed in the National Parks, we ALWAYS spring for the western cabins.

If you can, find the book "Complete Guide to the National Park Lodges" by David & Kay Scott. This book explains EVERY lodging choice within all the National Parks. We've used it for every stay we've done inside the parks.
Jan 15th, 2005, 08:56 AM

I have stayed in Yellowstone several times, but I don't really have an answer to your question.

Here is a web page that will give some information that may be of some assistance.

http://www.travelyellowstone.com/dyn...m?articleid=24

This next page has a more compact listing with prices for each location in the park.

http://www.travelyellowstone.com/pag...ging_rates.htm

The level of accommodation seems to vary with the location.

Of the various cabin types, the Western Cabins are obviously the most expensive and the nicest. But even they vary in price and quality.

The Frontier Cabins also vary. the ones at Lake Yellowstone are the best in that category, but they are also the most expensive.

Whether or not the Pioneer Cabins are acceptable to you is a big question mark. It is a matter of personal taste.

The Buget Cabins at Mammoth and the Roughrider Cabins and Economy Cabins depend on your mood and willingness to put up with it.

I personally have slept in tents and used backwoods facilities that had no running water, so I can tolerate a wide range of accommodations.

But take a look at the descriptions and make your own judgments.

I will say this: even the Western Cabins do not compete with a good motel room in West Yellowstone. The Frontier Cabins are down the scale a bit.
The Budget cabins have solid walls and a roof that does not leak. Beyond that, I had rather be in a tent with my own foam pad and sleeping bag. My tent doesn't leak either, and my foam pad is quite comfortable!
Jan 15th, 2005, 09:44 AM

Let me add a few more comments.
The Frontier Cabins at the Lake are $104, which puts them at the top of the range for that category of cabin.

Two summers ago we parked in the Old Faithful cabin area and walked through the budget cabin area. We looked inside of a couple of them that were being cleaned. I thought that type of cabin was not something I would want.
They don't have a bath or shower even close by.

Even the Frontier cabins at that location struck me as little better than a slum.

The Snow Lodge Cabins, which are in the same general area, are classed as Western Cabins. They were little nicer than the Old Faithful Lodge cabins, but they sit on a bed of black scree in a most unappealing setting. We stayed in that type of cabin for 4 nights. It was acceptable. The bed was comfortable and we had some space for 2 people.

As I recall, our room was in a pod of 4 with a tiny bathroom.

Some of the Western Cabins at Canyon are at least in the trees. They are fine, as those kinds of cabins go.

The Economy Cabins at Canyon at least have a bathroom with a shower.

The Roughrider Cabins at at Roosevelt are just that, Rough. At least you get two Presto logs for the stove!

We stayed there once years ago and it was so bad it was funny. The bed felt like it had been folded and faulted during a period of mountain building.
The fuel for the stove ran out rather quickly and we were cold.

The next morning some guy went for a bucket of water and bumped into a half grown bear. He ran and so did the bear, which touched off a comedy when the bear went into the bath house. Poor bear. All he was doing was nosing in a garbage bag when all hell broke loose.
Jan 15th, 2005, 02:50 PM

During the summer of 04 we visited with friends in their Old Faithful cabin and it looked like it had been completely redone, inside and out. I don't know what level it was but it had two beds and a bathroom. It was small but you won't be there much. It was not at all rustic.
Jan 16th, 2005, 05:30 AM

we stayed at the Old Faithful LODGE cabins in 2002. THey came either with or without a bathroom. We had one of each. IF you get the ones w/o bath, there is an ok community toilet facililty close by adn showers are available in the lodge. THe beds were fine and the price was right.

The location is terrific - near the geyser but just far enough away to be away from the crowd. I went to Old Failthful one morning and there were perhaps only 5 other people there - quite a contrast to later in the day.

I reswerved the cabins about this time of year and got the last two cabins for the dates we wanted.

Make up your mind quickly and reserve the cabins ASAP
Jan 16th, 2005, 10:10 AM

I suggest you call the reservatons number rather booking on the web. The people who answer the phones usually know the current availability, which may or may not show up on the website. I have in the past found them all to be very helpful. They want you to find the room that suits your budget and trip plans.

The telephone booking agents also know the cabins and the differences among them from being given a tour of the facilities as part of their orientation.

I would not linger over the decision.
Old Faithful Inn is opening late this year and closing early because of rennovations. That places a little more demand on other facilities in the park, which fill up rather quickly anyhow.
Anything is better than nothing at all!

One friend of mine likes the Roughrider Cabins or the Economy cabins because of the price. He takes his own foam pad for the beds and he puts a supply of firelogs in his van! He also brings his own lamp which he plugs in! In a word, he is READY.

Search this Thread