CA-46--How's the driving?

Aug 17th, 2009, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

CA-46--How's the driving?

Later this month we're planning to drive from Los Angeles to San Francisco, staying two nights in Cambria and one in Pacific Grove.

For our full day in Cambria, I was thinking of heading toward Paso Robles on CA 46, stopping at a few wineries on the way. Maybe a few tastings and a picnic will be all we do; and we may not even get to Paso Robles.

Could you give me an idea of what we'll encounter on CA 46? Any construction? Heavy traffic likely on a Tuesday in August? Is it a two lane road? Twists and turns? Steep drop-offs? (Am I going to wish I'd never left Cambria?)

Thanks for what I hope will be reassuring responses!
Aug 17th, 2009, 09:39 AM

Don't worry. You will be fine on 46. It is 2 lane, but not scary.

Have fun and don't drink & drive.
Aug 17th, 2009, 10:04 AM

You can get up-to-date info on road conditions here.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi
Aug 17th, 2009, 10:20 AM

It's a 2-lane road, but wide shoulders, easy drive, many wineries to pick from. If you want a little more scenic sidetrip, take the turn to York Mountain Winery, just take the York Mountain Road, either from the west or east ends. This is not nearly as good a road as 46, but it isn't hazardous or anything like that.
Aug 17th, 2009, 11:59 AM

Have you ever done a CA 46 on google maps? You can actually put your little man right on Highway 46 at any point and see the road for yourself. So much fun - well I'll admit I'm easily amused. Here's what I did:

Clicked on Google, clicked on maps, entered CA 46 in the search line, selected the 1st display "CA-46. CA" On the zoom bar I clicked the 3rd slash from the + end. Then I took the little man with my cursor and placed him on the road. Then I made him walk along the road for awhile. Now we're both tired.
Aug 17th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Oh-h-h, suzie, I haven't been to any wineries yet and I'm having trouble keeping my man on the road!

What a cool feature! I never knew about that! I've been using mapquest and never knew what I was missing. So much fun!

Thanks, all, for your advice.

dbdurand, on the site you gave, I see there is a phone number for highway conditions; I'll add it to my cell phone for this trip.

Michelle_Y and boom_boom, I appreciate your comments. I'll not worry about the road conditions and concentrate instead on winery selection and, yes, scenic sidetrips.

Any winery suggestions? I already have a short list. Comments on Denner, Adelaida Cellars, Rotta, Caparone, Hunt Cellars, anyone?