Montreal to Maine through Vermont or New Hampshire

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be taking a driving trip in mid-September and our first stop will be Montreal. From there, we planned on driving straight over to Bar Harbor, ME. Being that it is a very long drive, we have decided to spend a night in northern Vermont or New Hampshire to break it up. We are not looking to do much for that short visit, but are hoping to find someplace romantic/quaint/"quintessential New England" about mid-way between Montreal and Bar Harbor. Can anyone provide some suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 04:53 PM

How about Bethel, Maine? That would be about half way. Looking at that site they are having the Fall Harvest Festival and Chowda cookof on Saturday, Sept 19th.

http://www.bethelmaine.com/
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 07:49 PM

The most direct route between Montreal and Bar Harbor does not go through Vermont or New Hampshire. How far out of your way are you willing to go?
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 03:06 AM

djbooks correctly writes: "The most direct route between Montreal and Bar Harbor does not go through Vermont or New Hampshire."

But Google Maps shows that the route via I-91 and US 2 is within a few minutes of the same driving time as the most direct route, does pass through Bethel, and gives great views of the northern part of the Presidential range of the White Mountains.

Which you take depends on what your interests are.
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your thoughts! We don't mind going a little bit out of our way and dipping down into VT/NH. We saw some information online about St. Johnsbury and East Burke, VT. Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions on those locations? Thanks again!
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 12:16 PM
LJ

I would actually prefer St. Johnsbury to Bethel. Bethel out of ski-season is not nearly as attractive. St. Johnsbury has a much prettier setting, is much more lively and has many lovely old buildings. Goodgling reveals lots of interesting places to stay.
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 12:22 PM
LJ

In St. Johnsbury, try the Rabbit Hill Inn. I have never stayed there personally, but every time we go through town (twice a year for 26 years now), I tell my husband I'd like to! We have eaten at a cute little diner called Antony's which has great food. And make a plan to stop at the Maple Syrup museum on the outskirts of town to pick up well-priced sweets.
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 01:05 PM

If you drive on Rte 2 in VT from Montpelier to St. Johnsbury you might even see some decent foliage by late September. It is a pretty drive.