Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

From Palo Alto - getting to downtown San Francisco and Ferry Bldg etc

Aug 17th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

I am staying in Palo Alto while my husband is on business and I want to spend a day or two enjoying downtown San Francisco. Is it better to drive my car and park somewhere in San Fran and hoof it from there or is there pubic transportation that is a better option?
Aug 17th, 2009, 12:43 PM

Depending on the time of day...rush hour traffic can be a pain and parking is pretty expensive. I've taken the Cal train and then muni around SF. It's pretty easy. Another option is to drive to the Millbrae station and take the Bart.
Aug 17th, 2009, 12:46 PM

If you do as lol2g suggested NikoliV you will want to take BART to the last SF BART station which is the Embarcadero Station if you first are going to visit the Ferry Bldg. If you want to do shopping you would want to get off at the Powell St. BART station which is at Powell and Market. Have fun!
Aug 17th, 2009, 12:54 PM

Take Caltrain to... I forgot which station has a BART connection, switch to BART to Embarcadero - it's across from Ferry building. For Downtown SF you can also get off at Montgomery or Powell - or get off at one station, get on at another going back.

I think, but double-check, you get a Caltrain ticket separate from BART, they no longer issue discounts for switching from one mode of transportation to another.

Also there is a ferry to Sausalito, a beautiful village, check the schedule on "Golden Gate transit" - some ferries go to/from Ferry building pier, some from pier 41 maybe?
Aug 17th, 2009, 01:31 PM

>>Take Caltrain to... I forgot which station has a BART connection<<

Millbrae - but it's perhaps best just to drive to Millbrea if you have a car.

I would take Caltrain all the way to 4th St station (final stop), then walk along the beautiful Embarcadero to the Ferry Bldg.

Stu Dudley