Reload this Page >

Buying strawberries :)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 11:21 AM
Amy

Hi all~ Looking for a place to buy fresh strawberries for my stay in S.F. Staying on Powell St. and looking to see if there are corner/street markets where I could get these. Also, looking (in same area) for a place to get a 12 pk of Diet Coke. Don't want to pay and arm & a leg for these @ my hotel. Thanks for help/suggestions!

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 11:24 AM
xxx

I would be there is a grocery store/market somewhere near your hotel. After all, the locals must buy groceries also.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 02:48 PM
Give

C'mon, Amy, SF is hardly a vast wasteland. I really don't think you have to worry about and plan ahead for this. When you get there, let me assure you, you'll find a place that sells them. But, heavens, what if you have to buy 2 6-packs instead of 1 12-pack? Will that ruin your trip?

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 06:16 PM
Melissa

I don't know about strawberries per se, but the farmer's market at the Embarcadero is a great place for local produce.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 10:47 PM
Kay

The Farmers Market is at the east end of Market at the Ferry building not sure if it is Sat. or Sun.
The only supermarket type I can think of is at Fishermans Wharf --don't know street ---one block over from Cost Plus store & Barnes & Noble.
Otherwise most of the "markets" in downtown area (Powell St,) are small, Mom and Pop type--would have coke, bread, milk canned goods , newspapers, film etc.
Good luck...

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 10:24 AM
x

Diet Cokes really won't be a problem to find in one of the most popular cities of America.

Fresh strawberries might be more of a challenge since you're really past season for this fruit. The farmer's market would be your best bet.

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 02:41 PM
CAgal

x, it's still strawberry season here SF! The late season berries are smaller but still delicious. I'm buying them at our local produce market in the South Bay for $1.69/pint and making strawberry pie to take to a friend's house for dinner tomorrow night.

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 04:26 PM
x

If you're so concerned, why not just stock up at home and bring a supply of stuff with you?

I'm sure the airport security will get a chuckle . . .

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 02:28 PM
suzanne

I was just at Pier 39/Fisherman's Wharf a few days ago and there's a little fruit market among all the tourist shops. They were selling great-looking monster-sized strawberries here. They were also selling chocolate for dipping! (mmm...). I didn't check the prices, though. It appears they are down there every day.