Great Big Flea Market

Jul 6th, 1997, 06:20 PM
Lynn

Great Big Flea Market

Does anyone know anything about a huge flea market in Indiana or Illinois? I think the name of the town starts with "Ship", but I am not certain. How far is it from Detroit or Port Huron? What kind/quality of merchandise? Is it worth a long drive to get there?

Jun 15th, 2002, 01:40 AM
kim

You must be thinking of the Shipshewana Flea Market & Auction in Indiana. It's a long drive but it's very nice.

Jun 23rd, 2002, 04:39 PM
mary

The Shipshewana Flea Market carries a lot of t-shirts and tube socks and other junky items. It is about 3-4 hours from Detroit or Port Huron. If you are really into flea markets come on down but don't expect any top quality merchandise or antiques.

Jun 23rd, 2002, 04:46 PM
Laurie

I used to go with my parents to Shipshewana when I was younger but haven't been there in many years. I remember that is it very big and there was a wide variety of merchandise. Lots of junk but also a lot of new merchandise not just T-shirts and tube socks. The flea market used to only be open on Tuesdays and Wednesdays which is important to know if you head over there.

Jun 23rd, 2002, 05:59 PM
kris

Most everything at the flea market is new-lots of Avon, beanie babies, spices, crafts, bakeware. The flea market is only Tues and Wed except for holiday weekends and the auction which is mostly older stuff is only on Wed. A good website is www.shipshewana.com.

The surrounding area has a couple of good Amish family style restaurants-Essenhaus in Middlebury and Amish Acres in Nappannee. Also lots of antique stores, places to buy wood furniture and crafts.

Jun 23rd, 2002, 07:03 PM
Tom

I wonder if Lynn is still reading this 5 years later............?