Bryce NP - altitude & health ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband & I have booked a week long trip - fly into Las Vegas, 2 nights at Zion, then to Bryce and back to Vegas. Just came across a caution for those traveling to Bryce with heart conditions (my husband, med controlled high blood pressure) and asthma (me, though rarely a problem) due to the altitude in Bryce. I plan to call & check with our doctor, but wondered if anyone has had any difficulty with hikes in Bryce. It would be OK if we couldn't do the most strenuous, but are there enough trails that maintain a fairly steady altitude and allow for good hiking away from crowds? We hiked the Grand Canyon several years ago; after staying 2 nights at Phantom Ranch I got altitude sickness hiking out, but still it was my favorite hiking trip ever. Thanks!
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 05:21 PM

I have a respiratory problem (from birth) which leaves me with somewhat reduced resp. capacity. I was surprised that I felt no altitude problems at Bryce (or Grand Canyon, although certainly did not hike to Phantom Ranch).

One can walk along rim of Bryce or take a relatively easy hike among the hoodoos. Although altitude is high, not a real hilly area, so that should make hikes easier. Nothin remotely like hiking out of GC - and your symptoms may have been exertion and dehydration related as much as altitude.

Certainly check with your MD as you said, but can't see why controlled BP should present any special problem.
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 07:20 PM
TAW

We had to leave Bryce b/c of the altitude. Were scheduled to stay 2 nts in the park. Woke up first night - could not breathe...left the next morning and we were ok once we got to a lower elevation. So it affects everyone differently. Definitely check w/doctor before going.
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 03:07 AM

Try to do the combination tour of the Queens garden trail and the Navajo trail.You'll have seen the best there is.paul
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 04:02 AM
Original Poster

Hmmm... I am encouraged that Gail was OK - think we'll go ahead. We can leave a day early if necessary. I'll be sure to check out the Queens garden & Navajo trails. Thanks!
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 04:49 AM

Give yourselves plenty of time so you don't have to rush. Drink plenty of water (always take a bottle each on any hikes) and try to get lots of rest at night. Also recommend saline nose spray since it is so dry out here in the SW. Main 'problem' for us 'mature' types is that everything seems to be uphill. Yes, I also have controlled BP and sinus problems but would not miss our summer hikes. Come out and enjoy!
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 12:46 PM

The Queen's Garden/Navajo loop is not a fairly steady altitude hike. You decend 580 feet and then have to hike back out. If you do go, start at Navajo and come back up on Queen's Garden. This is what the rangers recommended because the Navajo side is a steeper climb and Queen's Garden is more gradual.

http://www.nps.gov/brca/mod2miles.html#queenNavajo

Walking along the rim is really nice.

Utahtea
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. We're both experienced hikers, and if it weren't for my Grand Canyon experience I wouldn't have even thought twice. But we stayed at the bottom for two nights on that trip, so I had time to get un-acclimated. For sure, will bring lots of water, sunscreen and all that good stuff. Looking forward to the beautiful desert!
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 06:09 PM

If you hiked down to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and back up, then Navajo-Queen's garden trail will be a piece of cake! Have a good trip.

Utahtea