Search

Kolob Canyon worth a detour?

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2006, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kolob Canyon worth a detour?

Hi all,

We'll be in Springdale for three days this coming July during a tour of the western USA. I read some variable opinions on planning a visit to Kolob Canyon. Is it worth the "detour" from Springdale for a half-day or whole day visit? Should I concentrate on Zion Canyon for the two days reserved for Zion Park? (we plan one day for Bryce). Thanks for any opinions.

Hypolite
Old May 19th, 2006, 01:40 PM
emd

My hiking friend and I enjoyed Kolob much more than the regular section of Zion. We were there at end of Cotober and Zion was very crowded; we could barely hike the Emerald Pools trail as there were so many people in front of us an dbehind us. But Kolob was wonderful, with few people (we say only 4 other people on the Taylor Creek hike, which was the hiking highlight of the trip, esp. the surprise ending, which requires a panaoramic camera to capture). It was stunning. And you can drive through it. The overlooks were amazing, much more wide open in space than Zion proper.
Old May 19th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Hi emd,

Thanks for the opinion. I suspect Kolob will be part of the trip if we can swing it.

Hypolite
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 08:53 PM

We have visited and explored Zion many times - we truly love it. There are many different trails to explore in the main canyon, so you might want to spend your two days there. Kolob is wonderful, too. I agree the Taylor Creek trail is terrific as is the scenic overlook at the end of the road. Kolob and Zion are 2 very different experiences, Kolob being more remote with few visitors and much more rustic. Some of Zion's trails are partially paved and can be like freeways, depending on the time of day. If you hike early or in the evening, there will be fewer people, it will be cooler, and the colors more intense. The trail to Observation Point is always remarkable; the Narrows provide an exotic adventure.
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 05:49 AM

We left Zion & went to Kolob on our way to Bryce. We even had some time to stop at Cedar Breaks.