Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Please help with daily details for Utah Park trip next month!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2014, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for everyone’s help so far. Please help me dial in details on best hikes, eats, etc. We are 2 late 40’s adults, decent shape, love outdoors, hike quite a bit in Oregon but not used to the heat. We will be in Utah Mid Sept. What are key essentials to wear!? I need a hat I guess.
Day 1 Drive Baker City to SLC area
Day 2 SLC to Bryce. One Overnight Lodge in the park.
Arr Bryce-Hike that afternoon/evening, maybe just do the drive and overlooks, then along the rim.
Day 3. Hike. Early (Sunrise) Bryce-Queens Garden, Navajo Trail
Lunch
Drive to Zion, 3 nights at Desert Pearl. Explore Springdale in evening, maybe a sunset hike?
Day 4-5. Hike Zion, still reading up on best hikes. Emerald Pools. Narrows (how far out do we go if we can’t do the full thing? Is it worth renting equip and getting wet, etc). Maybe head up to Scouts Lookout but not willing to go all the way to Angels landing!
Day 6. Up and out on Hwy 12, Slow, easy, explore (Escalante? Goblin Valley for sure) . Maybe late day Hike in Capital Reef. Overnight at RedSands Motel in Torrey.
Day 7. Early hike in Cap. Reef? Then drive to Moab. 2 nights.
Day 8. 10am Fiery Furnace. Lighter hikes in afternoon?
Day 9. Hike Delicate Arch, others.
Day 10, start drive back to SLC/Oregon.

So Excited!! Thanks again!
Old Aug 13th, 2014, 12:21 PM

I'd suggest starting in Zion. Otherwise you'll be backtracking past Bryce to go up Hwy 12. Just head down I-15 to Zion from SLC.
Old Aug 13th, 2014, 01:01 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
> maybe a sunset hike?
Consider a stroll along the Pa'rus Trail. It's close to Springadale, easy to get, paved, and the sunset lighting and views can be dramatic.

>Is it worth renting equip and getting wet
I went about 3 miles up to the Orderville Canyon junction without renting equipment, but I'd say yes, rent the equipment and go for it. A truly spectacular place.

Another great Zion hike, less crowded but great scenery is the Taylor Creek trail in the Kolub Canyons section. Take it out to Double Arch Alcove.

The ghost town of Grafton (Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid was filmed there) is also worth a visit.
Old Aug 13th, 2014, 01:33 PM
J62

Overall sounds like a pretty good plan

Comments on Zion, 3 nights at Desert Pearl sounds great

You can explore Springdale in evening, and even take a shuttle ride part way up the canyon to familiarize yourself. The Pa'rus trail is nice & easy, or you could simply go to Zion Lodge, walk across the bridge, and just enjoy a short stroll there.

Day 4-5. Hike Zion, still reading up on best hikes.

Emerald Pools - really just a short hike.

Narrows - even if you just go 1/2 mi or so beyond the end of the paved riverside walk trail you will be away from any crowds, and around a few bends in the slot canyon. In Sept the only gear you'd need to rent would be a wooden hiking pole, and perhaps the water hiking shoes. You'd be ok in a good pair of sneakers or running shoes that you don't mind getting wet too. Much of the hike will be along the dry river bed, and the in-water parts will be around knee depth average, with a few deeper spots to wade across (or float in the water and play).

Maybe head up to Scouts Lookout but not willing to go all the way to Angels landing!

Since AL is one of the iconic hikes in all of the USA I definitely recommend you hike to Scout's lookout, then go the 100yrds further using assist chains. You'll be directly facing Angel's Landing, and get a beautiful view of the valley. You don't need to go all the way to AL - you will be rewarded regardless.
Old Aug 13th, 2014, 02:25 PM

I would plan Bryce so that you get up very early and get to Bryce Point for a spectacular sunrise.

Then either go for a nap, have some breakfast or both and then do Navajo Loop / Queens Garden hike.

My first time to Bryce / Zion I did Bryce first as well. However, I was then going to Sedona. I would take peterboy's suggestion and go to Zion first and then Bryce instead of doubling back. Of course, if you have lodging reservations and it's an issue then leave it alone and do the extra driving.

I agree with you about Scouts' Lookout. If you have the slightest hesitation then don't do it.
Old Aug 13th, 2014, 05:33 PM
cd

Agree that you need to start with Zion and then Bryce and then hwy 12 to Capitol Reef so you are not backtracking.
Old Aug 13th, 2014, 10:04 PM
Original Poster

Unfortunately the backtracking is to stay overnight in Bryce. All nights at the lodge as well as Rubys and others nearby were booked all week so oddly, we could only get Sat. night at Bryce. Desert Pearl also had odd dates (and this was booking about 4 mos ago) so it is what it is at this point for those 2, could possibly change others.
Old Aug 14th, 2014, 04:26 AM

eroz, lodging really does open up as you get closer to the date of travel, so keep calling for cancellations on the dates you really want then cancel your res.

One piece of clothing I have found great for hiking out west is a long sleeve light colored cotton shirt eith a tank or teee under it.. It is great as an added sunscreen or bug barrier, takes up little room and can be tied around your waist if you want bare arms.
Old Aug 14th, 2014, 04:29 AM

I was just going to post similar to emalloy's but he beat me.

people book lodging a year in advance and then many trips don't take place as planned.

Call, call, call now that we're closer.
Old Aug 14th, 2014, 08:52 AM

Yes...call, call, call. Cancellations are penalty-free so they happen with great frequency but never show up on the website.

The closer to your time of travel, the better the chance of snagging a cancellation.

It can be a nail biter but we have never failed to get a room by calling and calling and calling. The squeaky wheel you know....
Old Aug 14th, 2014, 09:09 AM

The advice above is for NP lodging, not Ruby's or the Desert Pearl and other private lodging.
Old Aug 15th, 2014, 06:44 PM

If you have it in you at all finish Angels Landing and go ALL THE WAY!!. Its great.
Old Aug 15th, 2014, 08:48 PM

We did Zion, Bryce, Cap Reef and north rim of the Gran Canyon last year. We also drove Route 12 which was scenic and fun. As someone else mentioned you should perhaps re-think the order of parks. Also Moab may be a bit of a haul or at least take a look at driving times and distances to consider time on the ground versus behind the wheel.

We really enjoyed the north rim and hiked two miles down into the Grand Canyon. It may not fit in your trip and/or consider that the north and south rims are very different.

There is a great steakhouse in the town right outside Zion we really enjoyed. There is also a good roadside burger place nearby Cap Reef that was good, especially after some hiking. Sorry I do not have the names handy.

Anyway, it is a very scenic place with lots of great hiking. In addition to a hat you will want a camera,sun screen, and lots of water. I am not sure about temperatures at that time of year or where in Oregon you are from, but I think it is better to bring more water than less....
Old Aug 20th, 2014, 05:40 PM

Your plan looks great! Not a big deal going to Bryce first. You'll get to drive in and then out the spectacular east entrance to Zion - what a treat! We'll be out there in Sept too - hope you report back to us about your trip when you return!
Old Aug 21st, 2014, 01:31 PM

Our favorite hike during a April 2011 Zion trip(although admittedly the river was too high for the Narrows) was an out-and-back along the West Rim Trail. It goes up past Scouts Lookout (avoiding Angels Landing unless you want to detour). We hiked about 6 1/2 miles and then turned around. Unfortunately, we missed the best view along the hike because the mud got way too deep, but we only missed it by about another half mile. Still, it was a lovely hike and blissfully not crowded.

I agree that taking a long sleeve shirt is a good idea, but I never hike--at least for any distance--in cotton. Wool or some other wicking material, I find, is better. For hikes with a lot of elevation change--as in Zion--we almost always carry a hat and gloves if there's even a remote chance of chilly temps. Not sure what temps are like it elevation in mid-September though. In mid-April, we needed them.
Old Aug 26th, 2014, 08:53 PM

We will also be there in mid-September. We just snagged Bryce Lodge tonight for the 15th so keep checking the internet (I don't know if calling reservations gets you better options).

Researching restaurants in Springdale I came across MeMe's which opened in 2012 and across the street is a coffee shop with good reviews. Not sure if MeMes is open for dinner.

Last year I went as far as Scout's Landing and could not bring myself to go up to the chains. I like the Canyon Overlook Trail on the way out the east entrance. I love Emerald Pools late in the day. In fact I like Zion much better just before the shuttles stop running. It can be zoo-like mid day.

The Navajo-Queens Garden loop will give you a good taste and is deservedly popular. Bryce is high elevation and will be chilly when the sun starts to go down. In fact it could drop below freezing so be prepared for that. I was there in April and I was cooooolllld when I reached my car, even with a windbreaker and hat.

In Capitol Reef you can hike to Hickman Bridge (I assume you can still go under the bridge). I also liked Grand Wash.

There are some pretty good restaurants in Torrey at various price points. Even though Capitol Reef Cafe is halfway down the list, steak was pretty good if chewy and they have a decent salad, the 10-veg thing. Not fine dining and a bit funky inside but when I saw the crowd at Rim Rock with virtually no one with food on the table I decided I didn't need that after a long drive.