Bryce and Zion hikes and photography

Mar 18th, 2017, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Bryce and Zion hikes and photography

I am a hiker (although I do not enjoy narrow trails with steep drop-offs) and an amateur photographer. I am making my first trip to Bryce and Zion on April 4, 2017. I will be spending two nights in each location. That being said, any recommendations for hikes and photo ops? Oh, I'm also interested in any recommendations for good restaurants. Thanks.
Mar 19th, 2017, 02:10 AM
J62

Bryce has limitless photo opps at the various rim overlook points or down among the hoodos. None of the trails at Bryce have narrow trails or steep drop offs. Best light is early morning. As for food, the best restaurant in the park is @ Bryce Lodge.

Zion.
- Easy hike with great views is Canyon overlook.

- Moderate hike with a lot of elevation, but nothing scary. Scout's Lookout (on the way to Angels' Landing)

- Moderate & Flat - Iconic Zion hike is The Narrows. Doubtful you will be able to hike up-river that early in the season due to high/cold water, but it'w worth looking into. If the water is cold but the level is low enough to permit access (the gear outfitters in town will be able to tell you), you can rent a dry suit. Be sure to have your camera in a waterproof dry bag.

- Strenuous hikes with very steep drop offs and narrow trail - Observation Point, and Angels Landing.
Mar 19th, 2017, 02:46 AM

The dining in the national parks varies widely but is not great, especially in Zion. Just outside of the park on Route 12, Bryce Canyon Pines Restaurant serves some excellent homestyle comfort food. It's not fancy but it is good - have had breakfast, lunch and dinner there - all good. Great homemade pies too.
In Zion, the dining in the park is not good but plenty of places to eat in Springdale - Whiptail Grill, Bit and Spur, Oscar's, Café Soleil has great sandwiches and coffee.
All hiking in Bryce is excellent - you must go down into the canyon among the hoodoos. Zion - Canyon Overlook is fun, short and excellent views, talk to the rangers at the Visitors center for more options.
Mar 20th, 2017, 01:43 PM

Rather than us shopping for your ideal trail, suggest buying this excellent book These are primarily family hikes with flawless directions

Hiking (family): " Wow Utah Canyon Country "" –Very well illustrated. About 440 pages.

Vaga
Mar 20th, 2017, 01:47 PM
J62

How much does that book cost RV?...
Mar 20th, 2017, 04:48 PM

Hello bailey. Just a note - we visited those parks you mention almost a month later than you are planning to do, and there was snow in Bryce. Not a lot, but definitely some, so be prepared as you are going much earlier than we did.
Mar 20th, 2017, 06:53 PM

Both are great places and hikes (Bryce main hike and narrows in Zion) were kind of okay to manage. We were not athletic but we managed both without much problems. Even if you don't want you will get great picture in those places

If interested, you can check our trip photos and info in the links below.
http://www.lifeasweexplore.com/home/...onal-park-utah
http://www.lifeasweexplore.com/home/...onal-park-utah
Mar 22nd, 2017, 08:37 PM

Wow book
Go to Amazon.com
Search for: books
Type in: Wow Utah Canyon Country

Average price for print is $22 + shipping
Kindle is $16 - Download a free APP to read Kindle books on computers or smart phones.

That is the price of one evenings dinner and a far better value

Vaga
Mar 23rd, 2017, 04:12 AM

Do be prepared for snow on the trails in Bryce. There has always been snow there in late April when we've gone and this has been a good year for snow. The roads were fine though. Look into getting some of the grippers for ice/snow if you want to hike down into the canyon. There are plenty of photo ops from the park road pull offs though, so I would go there even if I couldn't hike.
Mar 25th, 2017, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

J62. Thanks for the advice. Looks like I will try hiking to the bottom of Bryce and also hiking Scout's Landing at Zion. I plan on checking out Narrows and see how far I can get before the water becomes an obstacle.
Mar 25th, 2017, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

sharondi. Thanks for the restaurant tips. I'll be taking your list with me.
Mar 25th, 2017, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

emalloy. We had quite a bit of snow this year in SW CO as well but the last few weeks we've had a heat wave and there is no snow on the ground here at 7500' elevation. Hoping since Bryce gets about the same weather that snow won't be a problem but you never know. thanks for the heads up.

Search this Thread