Walking in Grand Canyon, Bryce & Zion NPs

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2004, 11:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're off this weekend to Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon, Bryce and Zion National Parks. We'd like to do a bit of walking, but nothing too strenuous, probably only a few walks of 2-3 hours rather than full day hikes.

If anyone has been walking in these areas, do we need proper hiking books or would trainers be OK? Hiking books take up a lot of space in a suitcase and are rather heavy!

Many thanks for your help.
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 12:09 AM

There are short and long hikes in Bryce. Any walking shoe would do for most of the paths. Grand Canyon is more up and down and I recall that climbing to the top of Zion was also more strenuous. But for two to three hour walks, any reasonable shoe will do.
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 03:06 AM

Trainers will be fine. If you go in the Zion Narrows remember to get water shoes. I only took my trainers and the only place I wished I had better ankle support/traction was walking to the the Upper Pool in Zion. We did the Navajo Trail in Bryce and portions of the Rim Trail in GC without any problems.
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 04:50 AM
emd

Everyone has their preference; mine is to wear real hiking boots whenever I hike, and I just wear them on the plane. I am going for first time in Oct. and for some of the steeper hikes (Angel's Landing at Zion, and just hiking out of Bryce, which is somewhat of a steep hike from the pictures I've seen) are ones for which I will want extra ankle support that my full boots give me. Others who have done this will chime in, but I have been told that getting out of Bryce Canyon is a bit steep, and I think you have to hike in and out to do any hikes there other than the rim walks, right?
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 06:10 PM

Depends on how much hiking you plan to do. I agree with emd - I prefer hiking boots. Better footing on the rocks, ankle support. Plus if the rock gets wet, sneakers suck. We'll be there on a week and a half! A 12 day trip! Can't wait.
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 11:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your advice. I think we'll try and pack the hiking boots but it depends on how much space we need for other things. If we only have trainers then we'll just have to pick a less strenuous route.

Looking forward to it so much now!
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 07:38 AM

If you're not going to do anything strenuous, then I wouldn't worry about the hiking boots.

I did the Navajo-Queen's Garden loop in Bryce and the Emeral Pools in Zion in my Reebok walking shoes.

Utahtea