Broadway Play Opinions

Search

Broadway Play Opinions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2004, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broadway Play Opinions

We will be in NYC middle of April. We would like to see a broadway production on one of our evenings there. This is the first time for us in New York. There are so many to choose from and we are having a hard time deciding which one to see. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 02:24 PM

We have seen several and still loved 42nd Street for a real old fashioned musical --- Lion King was wonderful -- Producers very funny -- Hairspray - funny - It really depends on what you're looking for....
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 02:26 PM

Hi, yes it can get overwhelming! Are all of you adults or are there children who will be attending the show? Do you like musicals? Do you enjoy dramas? Comedy? Let us know a little about you and you will get many suggestions.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 03:20 PM

When people say "play" I generally take it to mean a non-musical. Is that right? Or are you looking for a musical, rather than a play? If it is a play you're looking for are you looking for something classical, something dramatic, or a comedy?
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 03:37 PM

42nd Street has stood the test of time. It has lots of dancing and singing and is very upbeat.

Throughly Modern Millie is delightful. Simple plot, but the lead actress is really great.

On a more serious note - Phantom of the Opera. It is a classic story, phenomenal singing but sad.

Enjoy New York!
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

I should have been more specific. We are traveling without our children. We do love musicals, but an upbeat play with some comedy would also interest us. Once we choose which one we would like to see, would it best to purchase tickets in advance or is it easy to get tickets once we are there?
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 06:22 PM

Playbill.com gives a little summary of each show. You can also check reviews on NYtimes.com. If you'll be here during Easter break, some of the more popular shows could be a tough ticket. I just saw Twentieth Century (comedy) with Alec Baldwin and Anne Heche. It's was well done and very funny. For musicals, I don't think any thing is as upbeat as Hairspray. Fiddler on the Roof did get some varying reviews, but overall it's a good production and you can't beat the music.

I would purchase tickets in advance if it's the holiday week.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 06:25 PM

Just saw Wonderful Town and it was great. Also, AVenue Q is supposed to be hysterically funny. Enjoy