BROADWAY SHOW RECOMMENDATIONS

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2004, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning a trip to New York next year - what Broadway shows would you recommend for this once-in-a-lifetime trip? Thank you for any info.
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 11:55 AM

Just saw Avenue Q and Hairspray. Both are Tony award winners and fun but very different. Depends on what you're looking for. I had already seen Lion King - the sets, costumes, and music are great in that production.
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 11:58 AM

For a classic show I would see Phantom of the Opera. For something more "rock" I would see Rent. Both are excellent. I recently saw Bombay Dreams and thought that was really good as well. It is a comedy about Bollywood, the Indian film industry.
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 12:01 PM

You really do need to tell us a bit more. You say it is a once in a lifetime trip, so obviously you've never seen a show on Broadway before, but what about elsewhere? Do you attend the theatre? Have you seen major touring shows or local productions? Are you going just to see you've been, or is there a specific reason you want to see a show? Do you like musicals or does your husband find them silly? Are you looking to see a famous star perform or are you looking for something culturally stimulating?
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

I have seen a few musical productions in Los Angeles and enjoyed them. My husband hasn't been to any shows, but would be open to most anything as long as it isn't too odd. We were thinking about the Lion King, but wanted any other suggestions.
Thank you.
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 12:15 PM

The Producers is great! It's very, very funny. It pretty much follows the movie (if you've ever seen it).There may be some little risque moments, but if that doesn't bother you or your husband, go for it and enjoy!
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 12:28 PM

I'm sure many people will disagree with me on this one but I found the Lion King to be too babyish for me. The music is great, costumes are great, but there will be a lot of little kids in the audience and the story is aimed at children.

I forgot to mention my other choice - Aida. Also Disney, but not childish at all. It is absolutely beautiful with music by Elton John and a tragic "Romeo and Juliet" love story.
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 12:32 PM

I know what you are saying hawaiimoon, but I loved The Lion King nonetheless, and when I saw it there were very few children in the audience.

If you think TLK might be your kind of show, it won't disappoint.
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 12:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I go to the theater often and LOVED the Lion King. The costumes were spectacular. I didn't find it "babyish" at all.
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 01:12 PM

Unfortunately, Aida will not be an option for the original poster as it is closing. I agree with the above suggestions of Phantom and Lion King for a broadway newbie, and would add my own personal favorite: Wicked (although I'm not sure that applies with the new cast members).
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 01:31 PM

We saw WICKED this summer and it is fantastic. Good music, great writing, a truly top notch experience. Though I haven't seen it, FROGS (with Nathan Lane)could also be the show your looking for.
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 02:55 PM

Don't forget to check out off-Broadway shows as well. Not sure if they have a long running gig but we caught the Blue Man Group - absolutely brilliant! Not your average show - way better and it was a great New York experience.
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 03:06 PM

Gosh, I wouldn't recommend Avenue Q or Rent for a one and only visit to NYC. I would think something more mainstream would be preferable. Phantom, of course, is a classic, Producers soon to be, and Hairspray is a fun, uplifting romp. Everyone seems to love Wicked, although I can't recommend from personal experience.
Hope you have a wonderful visit!
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 03:49 PM

Each Friday's WSJ has a quantitative review: mostly quite reasonable as it's based on actual go'ers vs critics.
M
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 03:57 PM

Some of the previous posters are correct in seeking more info from you about your tastes. Just look at all the recommendations so far. Well over half the shows currently on Broadway are mentioned!
Several of the current shows are likely to close. There are three definite closings already set for the next couple months--Aida, The Boy from Oz and The Frogs. And, there are likely to be more prior to your trip.
When in 2005 are you coming?
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

We will be coming to NYC in May, 2005. One of my concerns was that the Lion King was geared for children, but from the posts, perhaps nothing to be concerned about. What kind of a show is Wicked? Thanks.
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 06:59 AM

Here's yet another opinion -

IMO if you want a *TRUE* musical, do not see Lion King. While it is good *theatre* it is not a true musical. Great sets, staging etc. but it's a *scream - ical* and not a musical.

I too would suggest Phantom for a true, classical musical, or either RENT or Wicked if you want something more contemporary.

Old Aug 19th, 2004, 07:10 AM

Here is the summary from their website - I haven't seen it but have heard it is very good:

"Long before Dorothy dropped in, two other girls meet in the Land of Oz. One, born with emerald-green skin, is smart, fiery and misunderstood. The other is beautiful, ambitious and very popular. How these two unlikely friends end up as the Wicked Witch of the West and Glinda the Good Witch makes for the most spellbinding new musical in years.

WICKED, the untold story of the witches of Oz, features music and lyrics by Stephen Schwartz (Godspell, Pippin, Academy Award winner for Pocahontas and The Prince of Egypt) and book by Winnie Holzman ("My So Called Life," "Once And Again" and "thirtysomething"), and is based on the best-selling novel by Gregory Maguire. With musical staging by Tony Award winner Wayne Cilento (Aida, The Who's Tommy, How To Succeed...), WICKED is directed by 2003 and 2004 Tony Award winner Joe Mantello (Assassins, Take Me Out, Frankie & Johnny in the Clair de Lune)."

As for the Lion King, it is defintiely a question of taste. If you enjoyed the movie, you may not find it to be too young. It wasn't my favorite, but that's my own personal taste and obviously many others disagree with me as I mentioned they would.

If heavy, dramatic musicals are your taste, I would see:

- Phantom of the Opera

For a lighter, more humorous show I would see

- The Producers
- Hairspray
- Wicked

For something more edgy, rock and roll:

- Rent
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 07:48 AM

Charblack - don't necessarily base your decision on what's currently playing. The new season has not yet started - there are a number of new shows that will be coming in between Sept and next May. Go to some of the theatre websites such as Broadway.com or Playbill.com to see what's coming up.
Also, even if you decide you want tickets for one of the shows previously mentioned, they are not yet on sale for next May.
What shows did you enjoy in LA? That will give us a clue as to what kinds of things to recomend.
My 2 cents on LION KING - while it's a good show to take kids to, it's not a children's show per se. However, I would not consider it one of the better shows on B'way - enjoyable enough but very "Disney-fied."
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

I have seen the Producers and 42nd Street. I enjoy musicals, my husband hasn't been to any shows, but I am getting the feeling that the Lion King may not be the way to go since it will be his first and probably last Broadway show. Perhaps Phantom? Thanks everyone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -