Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Taking a theater kid to New York - any suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2009, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. We are taking our 18-year old son to NYC for the first time. He is a theater kid (mostly musical theater) and plans to go to school for theater in the fall. Obviously we are planning to see some shows and spend time in the theater district just wandering around. I know about Broadway in Bryant Park on Thursdays. We will be there the last weekend in July, so unfortunately it looks like we will miss Shakespeare in the Park. Any other suggestions or ideas that might be fun for someone very interested/active in theater? Also, any suggestions for post-theater entertainment - comedy clubs, music that would be fun and appropriate for an 18-year old? Any other suggestions or ideas for New York with a teenager would also be appreciated. Thanks!
PS. Any feedback on In the Heights? His favorite musicals are The Last 5 Years, Rent and Ragtime.
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 06:27 AM

In the Heights is fun, as is Hair, and both would appeal to him if he's into musicals like Rent. But I'd recommend something more traditional as well, either West Side Story or South Pacific. And perhaps a play, depending on your tastes. See what discounts are available at either Playbill.com or Broadwaybox.com, and base at least a couple of your choices on that. But buy tickets now. Even in the summer, weekend shows sell out regularly, and the best seats will be long gone.

He might like Don't Tell Mama, a piano bar on west 46th that gets a heavy Broadway crowd. I think he can get in if he doesn't drink, but do check.

Check Time Out New York for events that might be going on during your visit. You can pick up a copy when you arrive.
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 07:09 AM

The After Party at the West Bank Cafe on Friday nights is fun. Some of the casts from Broadway shows come after curtain and sing, perform, etc. It would be totally age appropriate, and can go pretty late (til 1 or 2.)

I love In the Heights, and totally agree with Doug about Hair. They are both superb. I also think that Next to Normal would be good -- it has a rock score (like Rent) and the cast is incredible. It is pretty dark and the subject matter is intense and a bit unconventional for Broadway, but it's my favorite new show of the season.

Enjoy your trip!!
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 08:46 AM

"In the Heights" might be his favorite musical based on his previous likes, but it definitely worth seeing since it's young and incorporates newer music (hip hop, salsa and rap) into the Broadway genre. It was written by Lin-Manuel Miranda (who up until recently was also the star-I don't know if it suffers any)while he was in college at Wesleyan. http://www.thirteen.org/nyvoices/features/heights.html

It's regularly available on discount on broadwaybox.com within a few months of your visit.

I think you should let your son have a look at what's playing both on and off B'way and pick 1 or 2 other things. Every show has it's own website where you can listen to some music and watch clips. Playbill.com is one place with good links to the shows. Fuezerbruta off Broadway is very unusual and popular with young audiences.

Take him to some of the piano bars where the audience can get up and perform. Brandy's and the Duplex are 2 popular ones. He can bring music (or at least know what keys he sings in) and perform if he wants.

He might enjoy a backstage tour. The one at Lincoln Center might be interesting for him. http://www.lincolncenter.org/asc_loa...nfo_indivtours
There's also a tour of the Gershwin theater where Wicked is playing called "Behind the Emerald Curtain."
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 09:08 AM

I meant to write In the Heights might NOT be his favorite...
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 01:17 PM

www.high5tix.org

Sign up for their emails. They sell discount tickets to teens. There is so much going on in NY that you'll learn from their website and emails.
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 01:59 PM

'Next to Normal' is very good, but quite harsh. I would choose 'West Side Story' and/or 'South Pacific' followed by 'In the Heights.' I think he might also enjoy 'Avenue Q' which is quite clever and mature despite the puppets.
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all the replies!! I gave him a link to look at what is playing and his first choices are Jersey Boys, Hair, Next to Normal and the Lion King, so I think we are set with shows. The post-theater entertainment ideas were really helpful. Thanks! Has anyone experienced the Behind the Emerald Curtain Tour? He's seen Wicked. It seems like some of the behind-the-scenes info could be interesting for him. Thanks again for all your help!
wanderfar
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 06:25 AM

Seems to me I just heard much of the original "In the Hgts" cast is now in WSS. If your son has followed theater news, he will know the woman who plays Nellie in SP was the young woman in "Light in the Piazza". She is FABULOUS imho.

My 16 yo nephew is a "theater kid". He went to NYC last year with his folks and saw 5 shows in a week's time. He was in heaven!
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 06:32 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I've done the Behind the Emerald Curtain tour. I'm a huge Wicked fan! I really enjoyed the tour. The tour group is split into two smaller groups and alternate wtih the two leaders (part of the original production). You will see the costumes, hairpieces, masks, etc. up close (yes, close enough to touch) and hear some very interesting details about the production. You will sit in the theatre and hear about the staging and see a fascinating fast action video showing the set up of the set as the tour travels from city to city. (Two big caravans alternate with the largest parts of the set and the detail trucks carry the final pieces from city to city with overnight setup). Then, the two groups combine for a Q&A session in the theatre. I very much enjoyed it and think he will too.

If he's a Wicked fan, I'd vote for seeing it again.

If he plans to see In the Heights, have him look for the documentary with the backstory of the production first. Also very interesting. I'd chose from In the Heights and Billy Elliott.
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 03:18 PM

I'd just go to TKTS and have him pick from what is available. At age 18, there are hardly any good musicals that he would not like given his interest in the theater. He probably knows what he wants to see already. I find that there is always a huge selection at TKTS, so, unless there is a sold out must see show, you always find something that is satisfactory.
Old Jun 19th, 2009, 08:22 AM

FYI, Jersey Boys and Lion King are 2 shows that rarely if every get discounted and they're hard tickets to get. If you're serious about those, buy them if you can asap.
Old Jun 19th, 2009, 08:58 AM

I would really recommend getting discounted tickets from Broadwaybox.com rather than winging it with TKTS.
Old Jun 19th, 2009, 09:19 AM

Definitely get tickets ahead of time, right now, if you can, for Jersey Boys and Lion King.

Check for discounts on Playbill, Theatermania, Broadwaybox, etc., for Next to Normal and Hair.

On a short visit, you do NOT want to take your chances at the TKTS booth, or spend a lot of time in line, especially in the summer weather.
Old Jun 19th, 2009, 10:59 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I agree with the posters above. With limited time in the city, standing in line at the TKTS booth is time in NYC that I can't do something else. My exception - when I really don't care what I see - is to go mid-afternoon when the lines are shorter but tickets are still available.

I've also gotten GREAT seats on the day of show by walking up to the theatre's box office. Those aren't discounted tix, but great seats.

If there's something he really wants to see, buy tix asap.
Old Jun 19th, 2009, 05:40 PM

Also visit the Theater Exhibit at the Museum of the City of New York while you are here and The Library of the Performing Arts at Lincoln Center.
Old Jun 19th, 2009, 06:35 PM

The problem with getting tickets ahead of time is that it regiments your trip. If you do not mind being locked into a schedule, getting tickets over the web is a great option.

Remember that TKTS will take charge cards now.
Old Jun 19th, 2009, 08:15 PM

Billy Elliott!
Old Jun 19th, 2009, 08:46 PM

I have no idea if your son would be into this as he is older then my dd was when we went to NYC last fall (she was 11 at the time) She LOVED waiting by the stage door and having the cast sign her playbill and taking pictures with the cast. The Hairspray cast was amazing and we have some excellent photos. I honestly think it was one of her favorite parts of the entire trip.