Breckenridge, CO in July

Old Jul 4th, 2021, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Breckenridge, CO in July

Pulled together a last minute trip to Breckenridge at the end of July. We have lodging-yay! It was going to be a family trip but kids are working so it's just DH and I. We have a week--Monday-Friday. So far, I am looking at:
1. Kayaking on Lake Dillon out of the Frisco Bay Marina
2. Visit the Country Boy Mine
3. Leadville Day Trip: National Mining Hall of Fame, Healy House and Dexter Cabin (need to check if these are open in current conditions), maybe the train???
4. Vail Day Trip: Betty Ford Alpine Gardens and Colorado Ski/Board Hall of Fame

If we have 2 good days of hiking and a day of kayaking and then 2 days sight seeing that should do us. I will check All Trails for hikes. Trying to find moderate restaurants with a farm to table vibe. We are foodies but we need something more casual for evening dining when we have been out all day and are tired. Any ideas? Is there a good wine bar?

Anything else for sight seeing? We are driving from Salt Lake City where we live, so not really interested in driving tours We will do our sight seeing on foot. If there are mountain biking paths that are more like gravel roads, we would do that. But for going up into the mountains, we would rather hike.

Thanks for any recommendations!
Old Jul 5th, 2021, 07:44 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Not a foodie so can't help you with that, but for hiking I'll suggest two gulches: McCullough Gulch, south of Breck alongside Quandary Peak, one of Colorado's 14'ers; and Mayflower Gulch, on the other side of the Tenmile Range, a fabulous basin ringed by rugged 13'ers. You pass it on the way to Leadville, highly recommended.

Your other plans sound great, Country Boy, Leadville Mining Museum, Betty Ford Gardens, all good choices.
Old Jul 5th, 2021, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the hiking recess!!!!
Old Jul 6th, 2021, 03:44 AM

Frisco has some cute restaurants.

If anyone wants to try fly fishing it is really good along the Blue River and in back of the outlet shops (who would think of that!!) in Silverthorne. There are outfitters there too.
Old Jul 7th, 2021, 08:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
In Vail, I like Mountain Standard for lunch.
Old Jul 8th, 2021, 02:39 PM

I"m not a foodie but not sure how that relates to being casual, although the farm to table thing means foodie. Breckenridge is pretty casual no matter what restaurant you go to, by the way. The problem is I suspect some have closed so not sure what to recommend. I usually eat at Mexican holes in the wall there or pub type places. But I have eaten occasionally in higher end places, beware that Breck restaurants are very expensive for what you get, I think.

I've eaten here and liked it, they do local sourcing. It's not cheap.
Relish

I haven't eaten at these but think they are sort of the farm to table concept
https://aurumbreckenridge.com/menus/
https://www.blueriverbistro.com/

Hearthstone is supposed to be good, also, but I never got there. It's in a Victorian House, and they say they use local sources also
https://www.hearthstonebreck.com/

I don't know if that's your idea of moderate or not. I don't know any cheaper places that are farm to table, that's usually high end prices.
Old Jul 8th, 2021, 06:05 PM

In Leadville there is a great hiking/biking trail. 12 miles, paved, and only one hill. It is the Mineral Belt trail. It is exposed so take water and sun screen.
Old Jul 10th, 2021, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the food and hiking ideas!!
Old Jul 25th, 2021, 04:36 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Note that permits are now required to park at McCullough Gulch, one of the trailheads recommended above. There will also be a free shuttle from Breck according to the article.
https://www.outtherecolorado.com/new...705a66de8.html