Breakfast - San Francisco - Union Square

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2003, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any recommendations? Not really interested in buffets/full size breakfast. More like bagel, muffins, croissants, coffee/juice. Something like a coffee house atmosphere to sit down, read the paper, over plan the day over coffee & bagel.
Old May 17th, 2003, 09:17 AM

Hi Budman, you could check out the cafe at Villa Florence(Kuleto's) on Powell just below Geary. They have pastries and coffee(espresso machine etc). There is also Sear's Fine Foods which is on Powell (I think between Post & Sutter). While not a coffee bar, it is a local breakfast hangout(home of the silver dollar pancakes). How are the Italy plans going? If you need any suggestions(we were in Tuscany last October) let me know.
Old May 17th, 2003, 10:16 AM
SAB

You could also try the Cafe de la Presse at Grant and Bush, which opens at 7am. Lovely French style cafe,
Old May 17th, 2003, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

PamSF & SAB - Thanks for the recommendations.

Pam, I'm collecting a lot of great data, ideas, & websites from this board -- I think I've got information overload. Unfortunately, it's probably going to slip a year, but I would be interested in some of your "wine" events and itinerary in Tuscany.

Looking forward to SF next week. I appreciate all the great info you gave me on Healdsburg & the Pinot Noirs.
Old May 17th, 2003, 11:30 AM
Kal

B'man, I believe the Grand Cafe at the Monaco has an area just outside the formal dining area you may be looking for?

Ditto the small bar inside the
St Francis may offer the same.
Also Max's is up the street.

How's 'bout a short walk down to NoBeach for one of the sidewalk cafes?

Viva Pinots.
Kal
Old May 17th, 2003, 01:19 PM

Budman, I forgot about Cafe de ka Presse. While not right on Union Square you can easily walk to it from the square and I think it might be more in keeping with what you asked for. BTW..regarding the Tuscany trip: I think it is easy to become overwhelmed in planning such an important trip. IMO Bob the Navigator seems to know a great deal about the area .I'd follow his recommendations with confidence. I'll be happy to give you some of my pointers(really personal favs) when you're ready. Enjoy SF and Healdsburg. If you haven't already, check out the wine-os post on "other topics forum".
Old May 19th, 2003, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

PamSF - Went to Westfield for the first time Sat evening to have dinner with some friends - Chez Catherine. Excellent restaurant, and a wonderful little town.

I did check out wino's -- I've got a short list of 6 places for wine tasting/lunch. If I get to 4, I will be a happy man.
Old May 22nd, 2003, 11:40 AM

Budman,
There's a tiny place on O'Farrell between Stockton and Grant, hasn't been open too long, which makes fresh crepes with various fillings. I don't know how early they are open, since I have so far just stopped in for a mid-afternoon snack. Just a few chairs inside and some little tables outside. The coffee is strong, the crepes very authentic, and the very nice mademoiselle always greets me in French. It gets my vote.
Old May 22nd, 2003, 11:58 AM

There's a Cafe Espresso on the corner at the Sir Francis Drake. As I recollect, it meets your desires well..