breakfast in Oahu

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 03:45 AM
sue

breakfast in Oahu

We are having one day in Honolulu. We want a beachside breakfast (not a buffet). Any suggestions for a nice place with good atmosphere. WE are staying at the Wakiki Parc Hotel. Thanks

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 04:26 AM
Sarah

Depends on how much ou want to spend. I love the Royal Hawaiian. You are right on the beach and it's a huge spread at $25 a pop. Sheraton Moana it is just a nice reason to visit that hotel. Halekulani has the biggest reputation with residents I met on the island. I think that is about $35-$40. Want to go cheap and still have the view, Shore bird breakfast buffet $10.

I have only eaten at the Shore bird and the Royal Hawaiian. Of the two and certainly for one day I would splurge on the Royal Hawaiian. It's just so darn pink!

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 04:33 AM
Sarah

Should tell you that the Sheraton Moana is the oldest hotel in Waikiki. You eat breakfast on a huge veranda with an old banyan tree taking up the center space of ground below the deck. You are the closest to the water here so there is not beach directly in front of view but plenty of water. I absolutely love this hotel. After you are finished you might want to rock on the porch facing the street.

Again one night something about that pink palace (Royal Hawaiian) and on the beach drawls me closer. Which ever one you select be sure to walk down and visit the other hotel before you leave. You get a very strong image of Waikiki golden days in both these hotels.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 05:24 AM
sue

Thanks for the nice info..I would like to try these hotels but I am trying to avoid a breakfast buffet as that is what i will be having for the next two weeks. I just want a casual breakfast with some Wakiki ambiance.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 06:43 AM
Sarah

Sue you can order an entrees at these places and they are in very scenic settings.

If you want cheap casual there is a Denny's if you can believe with a million dollar view off Kalakaua avenue just past the statue of Duke. It is open/airy no windows and is in a spot where the water is crystal clear blue. I would still go to the Royal Hawaiian or the Sheraton Moana for atmosphere. I don't think you will find great breakfast options in Waikiki.

No atmosphere great breakfast eggs and things opposite end of Waikiki. Thing is there is always a line. I have had to return omlettes twice here because they were undercooked much to the unhappiness of waitress. But I have been many other times and had great meals here. And I think the constant line out the door speaks to the restaurants success.

Sheraton Waikiki also serves an entree breakfast for 10-15$ and you can look out on the water through glass windows.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 06:55 AM
David

What do you mean by Waikiki ambience? What Sarah is telling you with those two older hotels is probably the only Waikiki ambience you want. Otherwise I think most people would describe Waikiki ambience as an ABC convenience store or a nic nac shop. When Sarah talks about “The Golden Years” I think she is referring to the cruise ship celeb days of Waikiki. When the island looked more like a neighbor island and was less built up. This period is reflected in The Sheraton Moana and Royal Hawaiian. The Halikulani also works to capture this charm but the structure is younger. For my money I would also choose between the Moana and the Royal Hawaiian.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 06:57 AM
xxx

both hotels serve options outside of the buffet.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 08:17 AM
patg

Try the outdoor restaurant (Hau Tree?) at the New Otani Hotel.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 09:56 AM
Patty

I love the veranda of the Moana for atmosphere. I'm pretty sure they have a la carte options for breakfast. I've heard breakfast at the Halekulani is a nice experience but haven't tried it before. The Hau Tree is another great spot for breakfast. It is at the other end of Waikiki (toward Diamond Head) though - don't know if you wanted to drive. This side is very quiet/relaxed, not as touristy.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 03:32 PM
Postal

If anyone in your party is retired military or a Government employee, the best breakfast on the beach is at Koko's at the Hale Koa Hotel. Balcony over the beach, trees, water, great prices and food!

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 05:55 PM
surferjoe

Head right across the street to Orchids at the Halekulani. Great view of Waikiki and Diamond Head. The other suggestions of Moana and Hau tree are good also.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 07:08 PM
kath

Avoid the Shorebird , it's one of the worst buffets I've been to!

Agree that the Moana is lovely! Ditto the Royal Hawaiian. Very pink, LOL.

You may also consider Dukes at the Outrigger Reef, but that may buffet only.

I do love the Hau Tree Lanai at the New Otani at breakfast.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 08:16 PM
Burta

I love breakfast at the Hau Tree Lanai at the Kaimana Beach Hotel. It's a smallish restaurant (part open air) in a smallish hotel at the far end of Waikiki beach, away from other hotels and near a large park. The restaurant is right on th ocean and prices are reasonable.

Aloha!

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 09:29 AM
sue

I would recommend the Banyan Veranda at Sheraton Moana Surfrider also. We didn't stay at the hotel but we had breakfast there one day, and dinner there another night. Be sure to make reservations so that you have a nice seat, especially of the sunset views. Very romantic and amazing!