Branson? The Ozarks?

Old Jun 16th, 2006, 04:32 AM
Original Poster

Branson? The Ozarks?

My husband, 26 year old daughter and I are taking a road trip from Chicago toward Branson, MO. I personally am not a big country music fan, but my husband has spoken curiously of Branson for several years. During my daughter's hotel search, the Ozarks came up and we are trying to determine if the Ozarks are near Branson. On a map the Ozarks appear to cover a large geography; are there any Ozarks near Branson that would be worth the trip? Where should we stay (not fishing people) in either/or Branson or the Ozarks? What's there to do in Branson or the Ozarks? (relaxing is fine with me)

Old Jun 16th, 2006, 05:31 AM
cd

Branson is very busy with lots of traffic. With that said, I would still stay on the main drag (cannot remember the name of the hotel where we stayed) but only for a couple nights and then take off for Lake of the Ozarks maybe renting a houseboat for a few days. You can check it out at: http://www.lake-ozarks.com/lo/
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 06:39 AM

Branson and the Lake of the Ozarks are two unique areas. Both offer much to do. Both have traffic snarls (or at least that was the case the last time I was there)

I really like the Lake of the Ozarks, having stayed at a number of places right along route 54 in Osage Beach. There are some really wonderful restaurants in the area. There is also a nice shopping outlet mall.

Old Jun 16th, 2006, 08:27 AM

The Ozarks do cover a large area- and Branson is in one part of them.
There is a lot of beautiful country around Branson and you dont have to be stuck the whole time in the traffic.
Beaver Lake is close by and one of the most beautiful lakes I have ever been to- and not as busy as Lake of the Ozarks. There is also Table Rock Lake.
You should also check out Eureka Springs- another busy tourist town but fun.

Old Jun 16th, 2006, 08:46 PM

Valentinee, it sounds like you are taking this trip because you are curious about the Branson area, is that right? The Ozarks are considered to cover part of OK, KS, MO, AR, and IL. ozarkvacation.com attempts to cover the whole area. I have used branson.com, it has a lot of info and links in one place. Branson and the Lake of the Ozarks are both pretty developed. Anywhere south of the MO River you can start to get a feel for the Ozarks with the hilly countryside, which some call the foothills of the Ozarks.

I tend to think of the Ozarks as not only the smallish "mountains" but also the streams. If that interests you, you would need to get outside of either Branson or the Lake of the Ozarks, as in both areas the streams have been dammed up to form lakes.

If you wanted to travel to the eastern side of MO, the area around Eminence is pretty. There are a number of large springs that are beautiful and interesting to visit; some info at www.nps.gov/ozar/springs.html, and www.nps.gov/ozar has info about the whole scenic rivers area.

I know there are similar areas in AR, which would probably be closer to Branson, but i'm not too familiar with that area.
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 10:03 AM

I grew up near this area and went back for a visit. We rented a condo on Lake of The Ozarks and had a great time. We just sat and watched the boats and swam. It is a very pretty area. We cooked at the condo mostly but did eat at the Blue Heron and it was wonderful.
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 10:49 AM

We just returned from the Branson area. We never went into Branson because that is not our type of thing, but spent several days next to Table Rock Lake. It was a great vacation. We swam, did some boating, canoeing, a little bit of fishing and a lot of relaxing. We went down to Eureka
Springs, AR for lunch one day which was a fun sidetrip. We stayed at the
Big Cedar Lodge. I'm guessing that it would be about a 30 minute drive into Branson.

Luvs2pak when were you at the Blue Heron? I haven't been there in about 15 years. I thought about making a detour on this trip, but I wasn't sure if it was worth it. Sounds like a made a mistake.
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 11:14 AM
Kal

I loved Big Cedar Lodge.

Had one of the "cabins". Bigger than my house and a much better view.
I coud have sat out on the porch for the whole time I was there. I'm sure my Boss would have prefered it, too!

Pretty good restaurant, bar, pool tennis, walking paths and the people were so nice.
Looked like a decent golf course too.
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 11:24 AM

wtm003- It has been maybe 6 years since being at the Blue Heron but I get reports that's it's still going strong!I had the batter fried Lobster tail. I know that sounds odd but I was the envy of the table when it came. As I recall it was what the waiter advised us but I was the only one to get it . Yummmm but not cheap. Back then even I think it was about 35 bucks. Your trip sounds wonderful. I love both Eurecka Springs and Big Cedar lodge. Did you by any chance see the shoe tree outside of Eureka Springs?
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 01:59 PM

Kal, I agree I could have sat on my porch the whole time, too. What a view! I don't know what it is about that place but it is incredibly relaxing.

Luvs2pak, I also had the batter fried lobster tail. Yummy! Did they serve it on a bed of shoestring potatoes? I missed the shoe tree. What is it?
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 02:20 PM

I can't remember what came with it but I do remember how good it was.
The show tree was in Beaver, Arkansas it was there forever people would throw pairs of shoes up in the branches, there must be tousands. Look it up on the web I'm sure something will be on it. It was really funny.
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 04:42 PM

I googled for the shoe tree and it looks like the original blew down during a bad storm in 2000, but a new shoe tree has sprouted. We didn't go through Beaver, so that is why I missed the new one. Thanks for the info.
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 05:27 PM

I'm glad you knew it was the "shoe" tree and not the "show" tree with thousands not tousands of shoes. ha ha I don't know what's wrong with my fingers. Oh well I'm glad they started a new one ,it was really fun!