Search

Branson MO area activities?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2005, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Branson MO area activities?

Hi,

I am looking for activities to do within a 2 hour radius of the Branson area. I am interested in some hiking, walking around, and scenic drives. Also, what lodging do people recommend? Any good B&B's? My stay will be 1-2 days. Thanks.

-EW
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 07:39 AM

Eureka Springs, AR is about an hour from Branson, and I think it's the B&B capital of the world. Hwy. 7 in Arkansas is very scenic. There are several lakes near Branson (it's called the Tri-Lakes area) - what time of year are you visiting? Dogwood Canyon just south of Branson is great for hiking. There are many Department of Conservation/Forest Service managed areas that are open to the public.

www.bransonmissouri.com

www.branson.com

www.eurekasprings.org

www.eurekasprings.com
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 07:45 AM
iceeu2

check out dogwoodcanyon.com.....beautiful

Old Apr 20th, 2005, 08:11 AM

Eureka Springs also has an old historic hotel - the Crescent- nice to stay at

Beaver Lake is a beautiful lake close to Branson - maybe rent a boat
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

I am planning on taking a vacation in May.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 09:44 AM

Several places already mentioned: Eureka Springs is a unique town a little south in Arkansas. Dogwood
Canyon is a nature preserve but entrance fee a bit overpriced. Further south is Mountain View which we like with the Ozark Folk Center.

And a word for Springfield where you will land if by air or pass by if by car. Bass Pro and adjacent Wonder of Wildlife Museum worth a stop.

Sorry, can't help on B&Bs since we commute, but Branson etc. surely does have lots of them.

BTW, why are you going to Branson? To see some shows? There are some interesting things there like the butterfly museum, and right now World Fest at nearby Silver Dollar City (which we hope to take in next week).

Ozarks Bill
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

I have read a couple of postings. Now I have decided to go to Eureka Springs instead of Branson.

Is there anyplace nearby if we want to do some hiking?

Does anyone have any B&B recommendations?
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 10:44 AM

I have stayed at Candlestick Cottage Inn and enjoyed it immensely. The hosts are very nice, and it is in a great location - off the main drag but easy walking distance to town. Breakfast was wonderful, and it was a pleasure to sit on the quiet balcony and watch the wildlife - deer, squirrels, rabbits, birds, etc.

Be sure to eat at Ermilio's - they are only open for dinner, and you need to be there early because it is small and very popular. Dinner at the Crescent is not spectacular, and it is really expensive, however, Doc Baker's Lounge on the top floor of the Crescent is a good place to go for drinks. They have a wonderful balcony that overlooks the town. DeVito's is ok, but not as good as Ermilio's imho. Mud Street Cafe is the best place for breakfast.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 12:41 PM

Hiking is available in nearby Buffalo River National Park. I'm sure you can find a website. We've hiked Lost Valley numerous times and recently Hawk's Bill Crag (Whittaker Point). I highly recommend both.

If you're interested in floating the Buffalo River, check out Buffalo Outdoor Center. They rent log cabins, set people up to float the river, and do horseback trail riding. They can also tell you more about hiking in the area.

OK, on to Eureka Springs. Definitely, eat at Ermilio's if you can. Also, for great burgers, fries, and drinks, head to Sparky's. We live about 45 minutes from ES. Sparky's is our favorite place to go with friends, have a drink, and relax. Personally, I'd stay away from Rogue's Manor (restaurant). We ate there recently and it seemed WAY over-priced for what we got.

However, if you're really want a "special" meal the place to eat is Grand Tavern. Wow, what an experience. It's expensive ($100 for two), but worth it. DH took me their for our anniversary last year.

B&B Recommendations? We stayed at Lookout Cottages, years ago, for a special treat. It was great, but that's been a long time ago. We stayed at Cliff Cottage Inn for last year's anniversary. It was AWESOME! We stayed in the Emily Dickinson suite. The gourmet breakfast is to die for! I highly recommend this place.

If you go to www.eurekasprings.com, you'll find all kinds of information. Check out the treehouse-type cabins.......DH and I want to stay in one of those next!

Have fun and just ask if you have any more questions.

Marla