Search

Boston Wyndham

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boston Wyndham

I'm planning on spending a weekend in November in Boston with my husband and two sons (17 and 19). After checking trip advisor, and reading previous posts on Fodor's I'm completely confused as to whether or not to stay at the Wyndham. Has anyone been there recently? The reviews of the rooms range from dirty and dingy to clean and very large. Any other recommendations?
Old May 28th, 2006, 08:06 PM

I have no personal experience at the Wyndham, but I have heard the same you have, mixed reviews.
My husband and I spent Easter weekend in Boston with our two kids (24, 20) and we stayed at the Eliot Hotel on corner of Mass and Comm Ave -
and it was delightful - separate bedroom for the kids with plenty of room for them - and a living room connecting to our room plenty big for hanging out, relaxing, tv at night or a game, reading, etc and doors that shut to our room -
I would recommend looking into that hotel as an option- it's a great location.
Old May 29th, 2006, 03:09 AM

Also no personal experience - but if you reserve, make sure it is Wyndham Boston, not the one they refer to as Boston/Chelsea.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 12:33 PM

I live here, and have stayed there once. A few years ago, during a snowstorm, my husband's company put some employees up there to ensure they'd be at work the next day.

The room he was assigned to was clean, big and gorgeous. I loved it!

Just a question - why were you thinking of staying in the Financial District? Aside from Faneuil Hall / Quincy Market nearby, the area is very quiet on the weekends.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 12:56 PM

The Wyndham is a good hotel. I often refer people there because you can often get it at a lower price than other Boston hotels. I've seen some of the rooms there and they seemed very nice. It's in the Financial District and is a short walk to Faneuil Hall, the North End and several T stops.

If you decide not to go with the Wyndham there are many hotels in the Back Bay you could try. Westin Copley, Marriott Copley, Sheraton Back Bay, Hilton Back Bay or Hotel Commonwealth to name a few.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

Boston Gal:
I was given inaccurate information and ended up getting a room at the Wyndham through priceline for $125/night. I contacted priceline to see about a cancellation, and although they will not refund all my money, they will cancel the reservation for a $50 charge. I am considering doing that if I can find something more desirable (swimming pool, busy/fun area) as I am traveling with my two teen-age sons and husband.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 02:28 AM

If you can get a hotel room in Boston for $125/night--I'd take it and run. While the Wyndham is not in the middle of everything, Boston is so small and easily accessible by the T that you'll be fine. You'll be close to Fanueil Hall/Quincy Market, the North End (Italian section that's perfect for dining), the Aquarium, Filene's Basement. And there's so much to do in Boston that the lack of pool isn't going to be too bad.

I live just outside Boston and would happily stay at the Wyndham although I've never seen the rooms.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 05:39 AM

The Wyndham is also close to the boston harbor hotel and the waterfront. I wouldn't change the reservation either.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 07:18 AM

I just returned from Boston. We stayed at the Wyndham Boston and it was quite pleasant but a little confusing. Apparently Hilton has purchased the property and they are in the process of changing the signage, etc. My room was very expensive but had absolutely no view except of the building next door. They do not have a dedicated airport shuttle so by the time I arrived I was too exhausted to put up a fight about the room. With so much to do within such a small radius of the hotel I had no problem being in a "quieter" part of town. Within walking distance is Quincy Market which could keep me entertained for days, the waterfront with the aquarium, whale watching excursions and harbor tours on ginormous boats. I could go on and on but I won't.
As soon as they finish the remodel of Boston it should be much easier to navigate. One thing though, if you plan to rent a car it's a waste of money. Boston is a "walking" town. Tour buses have a "hop-on, hop-off" policy that is great for sight seeing.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 07:25 AM

Yes, you'll be fine at the Wyndham.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 08:03 AM

Even though I personally wouldn't choose to stay in the Financial District as a tourist, I say ditto to ccrosner:
If you can get a hotel room in Boston for $125/night--I'd take it and run. While the Wyndham is not in the middle of everything, Boston is so small and easily accessible by the T that you'll be fine.