COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Cite Restaurant reviews?

Old Jun 1st, 2006, 09:04 PM
Original Poster

Cite Restaurant reviews?

My husband and i are thinking of making a rez at Cite Restaurant for their "wine" dinner($65, three course meal, bottomless glass deal). Sounds like a great deal....but is the food and service adn atmosphere also great?
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 11:07 PM

I enjoyed my Cite wine dinner experience last year.

I was with a group of friends from NYC who had picked Cite for our get together. Several of them eat there fairly regularly.

The food, atmosphere and service were all very good and tha value is excellent particularly by NYC standards.

The only thing that I found a bit lacking was the dessert selections. I am a SERIOUS chocolate person and although they did offer some sort of chocolate cake IIRC, there was nothing for a serious chocoholic.

That notwithstanding, I would not hesitate to dine there again and definitely can recommend the wine dinner based on my personal experience and the recommendations of my NYC friends.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 03:13 AM

We too enjoyed our wine dinner at Cite; my only caution is that it is A LOT OF FOOD AND WINE.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 05:32 AM

We got there once a year with a group (about 8 of us) and always enjoy it. The waiters are very friendly and accommodating, the food is very good, and the wine never stops (I have to turn my glass upside down so they don't keep refilling it!).

I think the portions may have become a tad smaller over the years but it's still more than enough to eat.

You can view the menu and read comments on menupages.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 06:04 AM

I've done the wine dinner many times with friends, and I will say that it typically ends up being more than $65 and closer to $100. The food is okay, and the atmosphere is fine. They really do give you a ton of wine. We went with a group of 10 for a friends bachelorette, and at one point we counted 40 glasses of wine on the table.
Because it always ends up being more expensive than planned, and the food isn't that great, I would go somewhere else. If you want to have a ton of wine with your dinner, you might enjoy Landmarc where they don't mark wines above retail and they serve half-bottles.

Just my two cents!
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 07:48 AM

The wine dinner is now $69, so with tax and tip it runs about $90.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 07:56 AM

I think the wine dinner at Cite is quite good and a great event for a group. The food is good, the atmosphere is nice and the waiters don't treat you like you're ordering the cheapest thing on the menu (since everyone there is getting the same deal). The thing I like about it is that you can order from the entire menu. It isn't like many of these prix fixe deals where you only get a choice of the grilled chicken breast or a meatless pasta, etc.

Enjoy! (but plan to make alternate arrangements to get home)
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 08:00 AM

It's a drunkfest, that's for sure. If I recall correctly, the food & service were fine, average, acceptable.

If you're looking for a party, or a cheap drunk, it's ideal.

If you're looking for a glass or two of good wine with excellent cuisine, it's not.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 08:08 AM

Agree with Gekko. I still think if you are planning to to spend close to $200 on dinner, you could go to a much better restaurant and still manage to get pretty drunk!