Search

Boston with car

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2004, 09:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boston with car

I was given tickets to a Celtics game in February. I live in Ct. so I will be driving to Boston and plan to stay overnight on Friday and maybe Saturday if my wallet allows it. My question is, since I have a car, which I realize is not a great thing in Boston, where should I stay?? I know that anywhere central has parking fees, which I don't mind as much as the thought of driving in Boston. I know that there are hotels outside town with parking..butI would like to be close to a T which adds to the confusion. I saw the Midtown Hotel that includes parking but has had some pretty shady reviews. Any ideas??
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 10:09 PM

We've stayed at the Midtown several times, though it's been a few years.

You might want to check out the reviews for the Midtown (which is more a motor inn than hotel) at tripadvisor.com - I would concur that due to popularity with tour groups, school field trips, and families, you can expect noise in the hallways at all times of the day or night, but also that the front desk is adept at handling same if you phone.

For only one night or the weekend, your best bet is probably Hotwire or Priceline. You can hardly go wrong with a 4*, or even a 3*, and the reduced rate will more than cover overnight parking expense, even taxi fares to Fleet Center.

During February, rates are at their lowest, except Valentine's Day weekend, so check individual chain hotel websites for specials.

You could also check rates at the Boston Common Garage (they have a website), though it can be a bit of a hike, or a subway stop or two, from many hotels.

Note that weekend rates at garages in the financial district are your best bet otherwise. You can always check into your hotel, drop off your bag, then head for Post Office Square, for example (where in winter it's often as low as $7/night), then walk, taxi, or take the "T", back to the hotel. In the financial district over the weekend, rates are much less for the entire weekend than one night in the hotel garage.

Note also that you can often park your car yourself (especially at the hotels in/around Copley Square) at the very same garage the hotel valet uses for considerably less. Just call and ask once you've finalized your hotel.

My recommendation would be to check the usual booking websites and hotel chains to get a feel for the rates for your dates. Then, check Hotwire (we always been thrilled with the Hotwire hotels). You could also visit biddingfortravel.com, then try Priceline. We've stayed at the Marriott Copley Place (which is fantastic) with Priceline many times for $80/night in the nicer weather.

And, rooms are a virtual steal at the "new" Hyatt Downtown (formerly Swissotel) where we've stayed many times - not since recent the changeover, but it's a very nice hotel, even though the location is just a bit awkward by comparison, but nothing objectionable.
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 03:44 AM

djk has give you excellent advice -- I would bid on Priceline for Back Bay or Downtown and use the savings to pay for parking, you'll spend less than the Midtown, for a nicer place.

Back Bay hotels will be accessible to the Boston Common parking garage, and Downtown is near the financial district, with cheap weekend parking. Also, Back Bay hotels will be handy to either the Orange Line or the Green Line of the T, and those lines go to the North Station stop, which serves the Fleet Center, where the Celtics play.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 10:53 AM

If you head just over the river into Cambridge, parking tends to be a lot more reasonable. Both the (new) Hotel Marlowe and the Sonesta are about a 10- or 15-minute walk from the Fleet Center, and both are decent places to stay. The Marriott in Kendall Square is a bit further, but it sits on top of a Red Line station.

You might also check the Holiday Inn on Beacon St in Brookline. It is on the Green Line (direct access to North Station/Fleet Center) and likely to be very decently-priced this time of year.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 12:44 PM

Sometimes the Hilton Back Bay has rates that include parking. And we got lucky that last time we stayed there because when I showed them my Hilton Honors card they gave us free parking. Hope it works next month too!
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 06:14 PM

Well, I just booked the Hyatt Downtown (formerly the Swissotel) via Priceline for $40/night via Priceline for Valentine's Day weekend (which we plan to celebrate along with closing on our house...). Yippee!
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Well, I guess that you have all given me something to think about! Thanks so much for your responses. I have never bid on anything at Priceline..I'll have to study that for a bit....
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 08:59 PM

Your best bet is to get a room at the new Residence Inn in Charlestown, it's just across the bridge from the Fleet Center. You can park there and just walk to the game.
Old Jan 17th, 2004, 05:30 AM

That walk might be pleasant in the summer, but torture in February, especially this year. Furthermore, for the cost of booking with Residence Inn, they can get a 4-star hotel in the Back Bay thru Priceline and hire a limo to take them to the Fleet Center!