Search

Boston to Syracuse

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30th, 2004, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boston to Syracuse

Hello all, I need suggestions to transportation between Boston and Syracuse,NY in late January and early February. I checked Amtrak; it takes some 8-10 hours, with stop at nyc or Albany. I thought of renting a car, but (being a southerner) really will feel too nervous on unfamiliar road with probably a foot of snow that time of year.
Any help will be much appreciated.
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 10:12 AM

Well, there are several non-stop flights each day - mini-airlines associated with Delta or United - and I'm sure small planes. Or, you could probably get a bus - but it too would require connections - and I'm not sure it would be any faster than the train.

A car would undoubtedy be next fastest behind flying.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 06:59 AM

Driving would probably be the easiest. Both the MassPike and the NYS Thruway are kept well clear of snow and well salted, and those are the only highways you'll be using between the two cities.

At www.greyhound.com, the bus schedules (they include other buslines too) show most trips as around 7 hours, most with no transfers.

While long, the train ride is leisurely and especially beautiful between Pittsfield and Albany as it winds thru forests and along streams and lakes. And you can walk around & enjoy the snack car. Fares can be very inexpensive in the winter.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 09:08 AM

My experience - being a truck driver for 2.5 years and having lived in New England for another 3 - is that in a true heavy snowstorm, the NY Thurway authorities do a much better job than the Masspike counterpart. If you really worry about driving conditions, just take the bus.

[Here's what I witnessed personally: not soon after a snowstorm, temperature probably in the high 20's. Going East towards Boston. On the NYThruway, both lanes are well-salted, and the pavement is just wet. Cars were going at speed limit or above - i.e. ~65mph. Once we hit the stateline, the left lane was totally snow-covered, and the right lane a mixture of slush and snow. Immediately I saw several cars in the ditches, 1/4 mile after getting into MA.]

I really can't think of any time when the NYThurway wasn't well plowed and salted. Can't say the same about the Masspike.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips. I think we may take the train and plan an extra day so that our schedule won't be as tight.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 07:16 PM

nancy, you will love the train and believe me, you don't want to drive through that (esp. by yourself). Especially if you're a southerner. There's nothing like Amtrak in the NE, so unlike it is in the South . It's really so effortless and pretty on the trains what with all that snow. That time of year be prepared though if the pipes freeze and the train is cold, that's actually happened to me once. Wear plenty of clothes. Great idea to take the train!