New York to Boston and back!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We would like to visit Boston for the day while we are in New York. We have a free day. Is this possible? Meaning, is there a commuter train or or express bus? If so, inexpensive? Thanks for the help!
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 04:50 PM

The Greyhound bus (Greyhound.com)is about $65 and takes only slightly longer than the train (Amtrak). There are 'express' buses from Chinatown NYC to Boston that are very cheap but my friends that have taken them have vowed to never do so again because of safety - speeding and overcrowding. You would need to check the train schedule (Amtrak.com) - looks like you can do the round trip by train for under $130 depending on what times you pick to travel.
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 04:52 PM

Don't think this is worthwhile. No matter how you go (fly, train, bus or car) it takes 4 hours each way. Even the Acela train (which isn't cheap) is only a little faster - and frequently late anyway.

If cost is an issue the cheapest thing is the Chinatown bus - but to me too much of a risk (have been cited for equipement and driver issues). But, depending on how many of you there are renting a car may be cheapest.

Unless there are 1 or 2 specific things that you MUST see I don't think all the travel time is worth it. (Don;t get me wrong - I love Boston - used to have family there and have visited frequently - but never for less than 2 nights - except on business.)
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 04:52 PM

In addition to Amtrak and Greyhound you can also try the Limoliner but either way, it's about a 3.5-4 hr trip each way. Not worth a day trip in my opinion.
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! I thought that would be the case.