Boston to New York City best way?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2015, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After spending time in New England with a car, we will drop the car off in Boston when we arrive. Spend 3 or 4 days in Boston and then go on to NYC our final destination (we will be spending time in NYC then) before we fly home.

What is the best way for us to get to NYC. Fly, train or bus?
We will have suitcases as it will be the end of a 6 week trip.
Old Jan 7th, 2015, 11:54 AM

I would not fly. It's usually more expensive, and you will pay for each suitcase.

I prefer the train for comfort, but it's much more expensive than the bus. Tickets are much much cheaper if booked in advance, but advance-purchase tickets have limitations and may not be fully refundable any longer. So you have to decide.

The best buses that travel between Boston and NYC have free Wi-Fi (which seems to be hit or miss) but can be delayed by traffic, but they are cheap. But to get the cheapest fares ($6) you have to book 2 or 3 months in advance. I think that's about as far in advance as you can book. In Boston, some of the cheap buses leave from stations rather than streetside.

If you want a nice middle ground, look at Limo Liner. It's a luxury bus service from Boston to NYC and it costs about $89, so much more than the bus and not quite double the cheapest advance-purchase train fare. It's very comfortable and you can bring 2 checked bags.

Whatever you do? Regardless of the length of your trip, limit yourself to one suitcase that's no more than 24 inches (and I would always have it be smaller). With a small carry-on, that can get me through a week or a month.
Old Jan 7th, 2015, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

The Limo Liner does look like a good option. Thank you for the recommendation.
We would be departing Boston on either a saturday or sunday.

Can you take suitcases on the train?
We do try and limit our suitcases and will have one each and a carry bag. My husband has a CPAP machine as well.
Old Jan 7th, 2015, 01:07 PM

Last year we discovered Amtrak and were pleased taking a train from Boston to Baltimore. That would be through Grand Central in NYC. No problem with space for luggage and plenty of space for walking around and price OK. We'll do it again I know.
Old Jan 7th, 2015, 02:04 PM

Amtrak doesn't go "through" Grand Central. It is a terminal; end of line. Additional, Amtrak goes to Penn Station.
Old Jan 7th, 2015, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

I must admit the train does sound more pleasant then the bus driving through traffic.

I wasn't sure with the luggage part as I read somewhere someone stating that you had to put your luggage on the train the night before.

I will look up the Amtrak information. I guess it doesn't really matter which train station it arrives at in NYC does it? Maybe then a taxi to our accommodation.
Old Jan 7th, 2015, 02:30 PM

Can you take suitcases on the train?

Yes, of course you can take a suitcase on the train. Most cars have a designated baggage area for suitcases that don't fit on the overhead racks. You can also check luggage and no you don't need to have it on the train the night before. Here's the baggage policy:

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...=1241305472094

Some of the northeast regional trains only take about 20-30 minutes longer than the Acela and at a significant savings.
Old Jan 7th, 2015, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the link.
Old Jan 7th, 2015, 04:08 PM

We do Amtrak - regular, not Acela - since it really isn;t any faster. If you buy train tickets in advance the price is much lower. Train is also much more comfortable than bus and you can take suitcases on board - but will have to drag them up and down escalators yourself. NYC Has red caps that will haul them for a nice tip. I have not seen the same in Boston.

Train is also reliable in terms of time (within 15 minutes or so). Train is delayed or stopped only by blizzards or similar which can bring trees down across the tracks and this will be announced on media.

Bus can be much cheaper but you are stuck in a seat - and they are subject to delay due to bad weather, accident and/or road construction, depending on when you travel.
Old Jan 7th, 2015, 04:16 PM
cw

I'm seeing advance prices for the Northeast Regional (Amtrak) to NYC on Oct. 18 at $104 for two adults. Pay no attention to the "no checked baggage" phrase. That means that you have to carry on your suitcases. You will be able to bring them. There is room in the cars. But because it's the regatta, there will probably be more people taking the train, so when you know your plans, book your tickets--whether train or bus.
Old Jan 8th, 2015, 02:26 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all.
The train sounds a much better option

Yes I had seen the "no checked baggage" and thought we could not take suitcases.
$104 per couple sounds like a good price.
Old Jan 8th, 2015, 03:54 AM

Trains from Boston all go into - and through it further south - Penn Station.

I believe there are some that go through Grand Central - but not from Boston

"No checked baggage" means there is no baggage car to put luggage into - this is true for almost all Amtrak. It means you take the luggage on the train with you. Small pieces go in overhead bins and large ones at the end of the car. If you have large bags be sure to get there early and be the first on the train so you can get space in that area..
Old Jan 8th, 2015, 05:00 AM

For best Amtrak ticket prices, you can sometimes find a cheaper ticket very early or very late in the day. Also look at discounts (seniors, AAA) and watch for special seasonal and advanced purchase discounts. For Boston to New York, it has been typical for tickets to be at a 20% discount if purchased more than two weeks in advance.

Amtrak has not served Grand Central Terminal in many years. All Amtrak trains arrive and depart NYC at Penn Station.
Old Jan 8th, 2015, 05:49 AM

There are no trains that go through GCT. All trains [not subways] end their routes at GCT and then reverse their routes. They are all commuter trains, no long distance trains.

"After the New York Central and Pennsylvania Railroads merged in 1968, the remaining long-distance routes gradually migrated from Grand Central to Penn Station."

from - http://www.gcthistory.com/#intro
Old Jan 8th, 2015, 05:58 AM

I take both the amtrak and the limoliner on occasion. While the train is certainly more comfortable than most busses, it is not really more comfy than the limoliner. Limoliner seats have power outlets, they give you a snack and drinks (included in the price) and they have movies running.

now its not as cheap as regional amtrak, and it is more vulnerable to traffic. One other plus, in some cases, is that it leaves from the Backbay hilton, and arrives at the NY Hilton on 55th and 7th (I think I have htat right...might be off by a block or two). So depending on where you are staying, it might save you a cab and some luggage schlepping. (One reason I take it is it makes a stop in the Boston suburbs very close to my house, so I save on parking and drive time at both ends).

Anyways, amtrak is great and may be better for your purposes. Just wanted to give you a little more info on the limoliner in case it works better for you.
Old Jan 8th, 2015, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your very informative information.

So much wealth of information first hand, which really helps us to understand the best way to travel to NYC.
And its very good to get first hand experience on both the bus and the train.