Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Planning way ahead here.... questions about Boston and New York City

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 12:31 PM
Sandi

Just got my baseball schedule for 2003 and find that my team is playing at Fenway and Yankee Stadium consecutively in early June next year I want to go! I could drive but that would be really long (from St. Louis), although, not out of the question. Should I think about flying into Boston for a few days, see a couple games, then take Amtrak to NYC for a few days and then back to Boston for flight home? Would it be better to fly into Boston and out of NYC? Isn't this generally more expensive than a RT ticket out of a single city?

Suggestions on inexpensive/safe ($100 range)places to stay convenient to both ballparks and public transportation?

My main concern is figuring out best way to travel to and from and in between. Thanks for any suggestions. I understand the train ride between Boston and NYC is scenic... that would be a plus.

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 12:48 PM
J Correa

My husband and I are considering a similar trip in the spring. We are thinking of flying into NYC or NJ, visiting there for a couple days and taking Amtrak up to Boston, staying there a few days and flying home. I've been looking at airline prices and RT tickets are cheaper than open jaw tickets, but from what I have seen, the price difference isn't enough to offset the cost of train fare back to NY - or in your case, Boston.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 11:40 AM
Sandi

J,

I pinpointed some dates and got a sample airfare today.... to fly St. Louis to Boston and New York to St. Louis would be less than $250. Add about another $200 for a flight Boston to New York. Amtrak seems to be the best way to go for that leg of the trip.

Thanks for your reply!

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 11:46 AM
Jen

Amtrak is definitely better than flying for NYC-Boston. If you consider the time, hassle and expense of ground transport between the airport and the center city, plus showing up hours early at the airport, checking and retrieving luggage, yuck flying is just not feasible.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 12:29 PM
J Correa

Sandi - I'm sorry, I miss read your post the 1st time. I thought you were asking about flying into Boston, taking Amtrak to NYC, and either flying home from NYC or taking Amtrak back to Boston and flying home from there.

For getting between NYC and Boston, Amrtak is definitely cheaper than flying and as Jen pointed out, a lot less hassle.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 12:46 PM
kayd

Sandi, an "open jaw" ticket (St.L-BOS then NYC-St.L) is not necessarily more expensive than a round trip ticket. Explore the options from internet travel vendors, selecting "multi-city itinerary" instead of round trip.
That would be the least hassle, with the BOS-NYC leg on Amtrak.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 01:47 PM
Kay

When much closer to your trip, you may want to consider using Priceline for your hotels. People get some really good rates in those cities on the weekends. But you have to be comfortable with not knowing the exact hotel and nonrefundable prepaid reservation. Check out the successes posted on biddingfortravel.com next spring.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 03:21 AM
gail

Last year the Red Sox sold out almost all tickets to Yankees games thru season ticket holders or packages (we bought a 4 Sunday games package to see Yankees and Arizona and they packaged Baltimore and Tampa in the lot since no one would buy these otherwise). So before you book anything nonrefundable, you may have to wait until late winter when tickets go on sale to make sure you can get tickets to the Boston part of your trip.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 04:59 AM
monique

Definitely fly from St Louis; having a car in either city would just be a hassle, plus the time it would take you to drive.

I would suggest doing Boston first; it's smaller and safer feeling, and NYC first might make Boston seem boring. Plus you don't want to have to hang around Logan Airport (Boston); it stinks!! So much construction and confusion. You can get directly to the city by a quick shuttle bus and then the "T" (subway). Can't advise on places to stay; I live near Boston.

I am planning on a trip to NYC myself, and I've read that there is actually a bus from Boston. It's only about $40 each way (I can find out for sure) and 4.5 hours, but about $75 for round trip. In the past I have driven to a NY suburb in Connecticut and take the commuter rail in; this is a good option if you decide to drive. You could take your car into Boston, but it's expensive to park (like $30 for a work day), or you could park at a subway parking lot for cheaper (about $2.50 a day, but sometimes can't leave your car over night).

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 10:33 AM
Sandi

Thanks, everyone, for your thoughtful replies.

J,

I don't think you misunderstood me, unless I am misunderstanding you now. I believe the best way to do this is to fly from St. Louis to Boston, stay two nights, then Amtrak (or bus) to NYC, spend three nights, then fly home to St. Louis from NYC.

Kay,
I used Priceline one time for a hotel in St. Louis recently (I actually live two hours from St. Louis, but decided this would be a safe way to try Priceline because I was comfortable in searching out different areas). It worked out well. I'm a little weary of trying it for someplace I'm not so familiar with. But the Embassy Suites sounds like a winner for NYC (I stayed at one in Chicago this year and it was great.)

Gail,
I realize Red Sox tickets are a hot item. The games I'm looking at are mid-week vs. St. Louis so I think I will have a good shot at getting tix for those. I plan to buy them the first day of sale, whatever that is. I will find out.

Monique,
I am fairly familiar with Boston, visited there about seven years ago and had a great time. But I really don't want to drive there. That was a different experience alltogether. Luckily, I was a passenger last time.
Airfare seems really reasonable, especially for the "open-jaw" type ticket I'm looking for. I thought if it was something ridiculous like $400 or more that it would be so much less expensive to drive, considering having a couple friends along also.

Now I'm just trying to decide on places to stay that are convenient to the "T", subway, train stations, and baseball stadiums.

Thanks for all the advice.

Sandi

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 11:12 AM
J Correa

Sandi - we are on the same page now - and in complete agreement. (We probably were the whole time -LOL)

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 12:05 PM
mimi taylor

J. Correa...are you the same J. I know who has a rest in key West?

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 12:26 PM
gail

Sandi - sorry, I misunderstood your post - I thought you were going to see Red Sox-Yankees in 2 cities. Now it makes sense since I heard inter-league play next year is NL Central versus AL East.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 12:30 PM
J Correa

mimi - Nope, I'm a different J. I've never been to Key West. It's on my list of places to visit though.