Search

Boston subway safety and airport question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boston subway safety and airport question

Hi,
I'm going to Boston next weekend and I was wondering if there is a time at night when it's safer to take a cab rather than use the subway. Our stop will be the Hynes stop on the green line. Also, when we fly home, our flight is at 10:50 am on a weekday. What time do you think we should hop on the subway to allow enough travel time to get to Logan and security clearance time at the airport? Thanks!
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 08:13 AM

The subway doesn't run all night (usually stops around midnite or so) so you should be ok on the subway. Just be aware of your surroundings.
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 08:39 AM

It depends what subway line you are taking. Where will you be taking the subway FROM when you go to the Hynes stop? Are you alone? The Hynes stop on the Green Line is pretty safe.....the Orange Line could be a little scary after about 9 PM. Pretty much - you shouldn't have a problem at all - just use caution - not as bad as NYC!!

As far as getting to the airport for a 10:50 flight - I would leave the Hynes stop at about 8 or 8:30 depending on whether you are already Checked In on your flight. You should be to the airport in about 40 minutes even at that time.
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 09:04 AM

“just use caution - not as bad as NYC!!"

Do you have any statistics to back up your implication that the NYC subway system is less safe than Boston’s?
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 09:11 AM

If the OP is going from the airport to the Hynes, then the Orange Line won't be involved; she'll take the shuttle to the Airport station on the Blue line, switch at Government Center and take the Green Line to Hynes. From Govt Center to Hynes on the Green Line on a weekend evening should be no problem at all.
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 09:32 AM

Boston subways close early. Always a complaint with my college daughter that going out for the evening usually required taxi ride home. Hynes is on the same line as BU, BC, etc, so those trains are rarely empty.
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 10:11 AM

What's wrong with the NYC subway?? I have found going through security at Logan infinitely less painful than that of JFK or LGA.
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 11:22 AM

The subways in New York and Boston are both perfectly safe. Millions of nice, middle-class people ride them to work every day and out to concerts, movies, and other events.

You will be inbound on the Blue Line to Government Center, and there will be plenty of other people coming in on flights like you and taking the T. Many of your other fellow passengers are likely to be Hispanic and on their way to late evening jobs in hospitals and office buildings.

Government Center station is fairly seedy because of the heavy use it gets, but it is perfectly safe. There are likely to be musicians playing for tips. You can take any Green Line car except E. All B,C,and D cars will stop at Hynes.

There are two exits from Hynes. One goes onto Mass Ave and may have a panhandler or two around the door, waiting for people coming from concerts. The other exit opens on to a very lively block of Newbury Street with restaurants, shops, and clubs right across the street. Use Google Maps or ask your hotel to find out which to use.
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the responses. I'm not worried about my commute from the airport (in the afternoon), but had been curious if we wanted to take the subway home at night from various areas, like the Faneuil Hall area, Harvard, etc.
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 11:44 AM

Perfectly safe.
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 06:14 PM
yk

Having lived here for close to 10 years combined, I will ride the Green Line anytime during the day/night. T closes around midnight.

Red Line is fine too - the sections you mentioned.

To answer you Q about going back to the airport:

Assuming you want to be at the airport by 9:45am, I'd want to be AT the Hynes Station by 9am the latest. It'll take 15-20 minutes to get to Gov't Center; then 15 mins to change for Blue line to the Airport; then 10-15 mins to change for the shuttle bus to your terminal.

If you have luggage to check, then I'd add in an extra 15 minutes.

Again, the time I'm providing is with you being AT the T station, not the time you should leave the hotel...
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks yk!
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 07:33 AM

"Millions of nice, middle-class people ride them to work every day and out to concerts, movies, and other events."

Nice, middle-class people?? Seriously. I think people of ALL classes ride the subway here.
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 10:41 AM

Michelle, I don't get your point.

Hard as it may be to imagine, there are many places where middle class people do not use public transportation and it is unfamiliar to them. Television and movies lead people to believe that only the poor ride buses and subways. My point was the one you missed: in addition to the poor, many people who do are not poor ride subways and buses in big cities.

I also don't understand the "here" in your reference. The post has to do with Boston but your alias suggests that you are connected to New York.

And what do _you_ do to reassure someone who might be uncomfortable about the safety of riding the subway at night?

I think the OP showed the right spirit by wanting to use public transportation and asking important questions before arriving.
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 08:25 AM

Will echo the sentiment that Boston's subways are fine, just keep usual awareness of your surroundings. The only places you might pay the slightest amount more attention than usual are on the Ashmont stretch of the Red Line (though there's no reason a tourist would use this), the Orange Line south of Back Bay (which a tourist might use for Symphony Hall or Jamaica Plain), and the Green Line E-line past the Museum of Fine Arts stop (which a tourist wouldn't likely use). But generally the Boston subway anywhere is fine any time of day or night.
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! I can't wait to get to Boston! I'm crossing my fingers for good weather.