NYC Transportation from and to LGA airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2012, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi , me again..decided to start new topic..researched previous posts and ones I found were not recent at all.
Regarding reliable transportation from and back to LGA from Manhattan..all the services I have checked have troubling reviews..super shuttle , dial 7 among them.
So, travelers who have used these services, please tell me your best recommendation for getting from and back to the airport.
Back to the airport on time is most important..don't mind spending a little more to get a reliable service.
Thank you for all your help.
D.
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 06:16 AM

Cab
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 06:56 AM

cab
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 07:01 AM

The OP will probably clarify this, but his travel group numbers 7 so he is maybe looking for alternatives to taking two cabs? I agree that cabs are the best option, even if their group needs to take two of them.
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

A cab from the airport sounds good..what about getting one back to the airport..if you set the time in advance, are they reliable ?
Thanks for the response.
D.
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 07:36 AM

In my limited experience, the doorman at the hotel can usually hail one or call for one on your behalf. Others who know more can add their advice.
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 07:49 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Always have had good experiences with Carmel Car, coming and going to LGA,EWR and JFK.
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 08:01 AM

I used Carmel Car Service last trip (LGA)when I had a party of 5 and didn't want to take two cabs. They were on time for our pickup and got us to our hotel quickly. In November I stood in line for the cab and it was the first time when I had to wait a VERY long time - maybe time of arrival (Friday evening) had something to do with it? Anyway, I'd use Carmel again for a larger party.
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 08:48 AM

We've used Carmel on a number of occasions, to and from the airport(s). I'd take a cab from the LGA because locating "your car" isn't all that easy at LGA, but going back, I wouldn't hesitate to use Carmel.
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 09:17 AM

I take a cab from LGA to the city - easy and cheap. From the city to LGA I use a car service. Usuallu Dial 7. I have found that some people are disappointed in them since they are expecting a limo service. This is not a limo service. It's a car service - usually a black sedam - and service/price are what you would get from a cab - but you can reserve in advance. (There are limo services/corporate car services with better cars and more upscael - but they will cost twice the price.)

For a cheaper choicefor one- but probabvly not 2 or more people - take a shuttle bus to Grand Central or Port Authority and then walk or cab to your hotel.

Do NOT take the supershuttle - which is very unreliable - and often wsates an hour or more driving people around in traffic from one hotel to anothr to another to another,
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 09:28 AM

>>

I have never had anything less than a Lincoln town car, and last time I was in a brand new Lexus SUV. Good enough for me
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 09:30 AM

Taxi
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 09:45 AM

The best way into Manhattan for someone without budget limitations is and will always be a regular taxi.

You can use a car service to LGA from your hotel, but it's almost always less convenient to take one from LGA. This airport just doesn't have the line-up of cars that you find at JFK and EWR, and it's more difficult to find a meeting point. But a lot of people continue to take them successfully ... they are just not my preferred choice. Pre-arranging a car service is a better choice at some busy times of the year or after a major snow storm.

With a larger group, there's certainly an argument for a car service, but by the time you pay for exclusive use of a larger van, it's usually cheaper to take 2 taxis.

I almost exclusively use Dial 7 and have never had a problem, so I can't speak to the so-called mixed reviews. But I've been using Dial 7 for 20 years. I've had innumerable problems with SuperShuttle and will no longer recommend the company, but I would certainly use one of the airport shuttles that have fixed pick-up and drop-off points to save money and often do.
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 02:40 PM

What time do you need to head back to LGA for your return flight? If it is after 3:00pm, then a car service like Dial7 is preferable, since regular taxis are changing shifts from 3:30 pm on and fewer are available.
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 04:31 PM

The only time I take car service from the city is if I need the cab during either the morning or afternoon rush. In the PM there is a shift change around 4 and it is maddening. The other time is between 8 -9:30 AM when people are trying to get work, otherwise cabs are usually not a problem.
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 04:54 PM

If you're 7 people that will make a huge difference. Please state your party size. For up to 4 people not arriving in rush our, a yellow NYC taxi is the way to go. for larger parties or if you're arriving during rush hour, dial7.com or allstatelimo.com
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 04:55 PM

I hate hauling my luggage out to the corner (I live on a residential side street) when going to the airport - so always call a car service. It is always Dial 7 (unless they are fully booked) and in years have only had one problem. And idiot driver tired to charge me bridge toll both ways to take me from Manhattan to LGA - saying he had come from there and I owed it. I refused - he was a pain and I just called the office. They told me to ignore him and they were calling him as I got out of the car. You need to understand this is a company with hundreds of cars and driver and every once in a while noodle head will sneak in - but they do take the side of the passenger - and I believe remove any drive that tries to pull this.

I have always found the cars to be acceptable and clean - and they are often Lincoln town cars. But they are often several years old with some visible wear, sometimes the springs aren;t the best and the drivers don;t wear uniforms.
Old Apr 28th, 2012, 04:47 PM
blh

Do you tip the car service the same as a taxi - 15-20%?
Old Apr 29th, 2012, 05:40 AM

Precisely - but IMHO it's 20% - or more if they help with a lot of luggage. You also have to pay bridge ot tunnel tolls - but do not tip on the toll.
Old Apr 29th, 2012, 09:35 AM

I think with Carmel car service that the tip and all tolls were included in the price I was quoted. I don't recall tipping that driver like I do with a cab but if you decide to use them I'm sure it would be spelled out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -