Reload this Page >

Boston subway and restaurant help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 08:50 AM
gretchen

Arrive in Boston tomorrow and staying at the Westin Copley. Need the following information please-
1) What subway lines do I take to get to the Bayside Convention center on Saturday during the day or is there a better mode of transportation?
2) Want to eat one nite in the north end and seafood the other nite (we are leaving Sunday). Does anybody have any recommendations for specific restaurants.
3) We are planning on being done with the gift show by 1:00 on saturday which would leave us Saturday afternoon to sight see (not much time). What would be the one thing or area to see that afternoon.

Thanks a bunch to all!!!!!!!!!

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 08:58 AM
rl

Eat at red lobster and its not a subway its a T

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 09:05 AM
Eric

Hi Gretchen,

To get to the Bayside Expo Center from the Westin Copley you can a.) take a cab or b.) get on the green line (subway) at the Copley stop, switch to the red line at Park Street, take that to the J.F.K/UMass stop. I believe they have shuttle bus service from there.

Skipjack's is a good seafood place very close to your hotel. It is across from the Hancock Tower on Clarendon Street, which is practically right next to your hotel.

If you like baseball, try and get the concierge to get you tickets to Saturday's Red Sox game at 1:15pm. It is a HUGE game vs. the Anaheim Angels for the wildcard spot in the playoffs. The atmosphere will be great!

Enjoy!

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 09:07 AM
xx

As far as the T is concerned, you have two options.
1)Get on the Orange Line at Back Bay Station (across the street from the hotel). Take the Orange Line to Downtown Crossing and switch to the Red Line. Take the Red Line to JFK/UMASS. From the station, Bayside is a 5 minute walk.
2)Get on the Green Line at Copley (a block or two from the hotel) to Park Street. Get on the Red Line to JFK UMASS.
If you're concerned about time, the Orange Line option will probably be faster.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 09:18 AM
gail

I am hoping you will get an MBTA map, (or get one at MBTA.com). It is true that the JFK/UMass stop is the closest. It is also true that it is a 5-10 minute walk to Bayside Expo Center. However, I do not know of any even remotely pleasant way to walk from stop to Expo Center - busy multi-lane secondary roads with rude drivers who might try to run you over. Since I have only driven in that area, it is certainly possible that there is some more reasonable way to walk that others know of.

Considering that time is a factor - you will only be here a short time, and perhaps trip is at least tax-deductible (since it is a trade show), I would really spring for a cab. That way the cab will be able to drop you off wherever you want to be to start the sightseeing portion of the day.

Tough to give you the "one thing to see in Boston". Don't know what your interests are. Several good museums - Gardner, MFA. You could walk part of Freedom trail if history is your thing. A narrated harbor cruise if your feet are tired after navigating gift show.

Ask at hotel before you head to North End for evening meal. Each summer weekend there is a different street festival (honoring a specific saint) that packs the North End. That could be fun, but just know what you are getting into before you go.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 09:23 AM
Gretchen

Thank you to all for your help! I certainly don't mind springing for a cab. I just want the quickest and easiest way to go. I had forgotten about the street festivals (have seen one prior). They are fun to see. The game might be a cool idea and we will certainly check out skipjacks. Thanks again and any other ideas are helpful.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 09:27 AM
xx

Gail, I've walked JFK/UMASS to Bayside. It's fine. There are sidewalks and pedestrian lights. No problem whatsoever.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 09:37 AM
Wendy

In the North End I have eaten at Mamma Maria's and Prezza. Both are expensive but fantastic. I think Prezza is a little overpriced.

For seafood (casual) I really like Legal Seafoods. Have eaten at both the one in the Theater district and the one at Copley Center and definately like the one in the Theater Distric much more. But my new favorite seafood restaurant is Todd English's Kingfish Hall which is right in the Fanueil Hall area.

Have a great trip!

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 09:44 AM
Jackie

I always liked Legal Seafood; there is one near your hotel. But, I have seen mixed reviews here for it.

I have been to a couple of the expensive Italian restaurants in the North End and not been impressed. For lunch, I have been to Umberdo's and really like their pizza--it is also inexpensive. The downside is you have to go upto the counter to order. The NE restaurants don't serve desserts, so go to Mike's Pastrys. I recommend the lobster tails.

If you are a shopper, I would recommend Filene's basement and Fanuel Hall/Quincy Market or Newbury Street for Sat afternoon.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 11:05 AM
Melissa

Hi Gretchen:
If you want North End Italian, then the only place to go is by far:
GIACOMO'S...superior to any other restaurant in the North End. Get their early. The line forms at the door at 5:30 on a weeknight, and earlier on a Saturday. They do not accept credit cards. Get a pastry at Modern's for dessert! Yum!
And the Westin Copley is wonderful! Lucky you! Enjoy your trip!

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 11:05 AM
Melissa

Hi Gretchen:
If you want North End Italian, then the only place to go is by far:
GIACOMO'S...superior to any other restaurant in the North End. Get there early. The line forms at the door at 5:30 on a weeknight, and earlier on a Saturday. They do not accept credit cards. Get a pastry at Modern's for dessert! Yum!
And the Westin Copley is wonderful! Lucky you! Enjoy your trip!

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 11:06 AM
Melissa, again

I am sorry everyone, I didn't mean to post twice (now 3 times)

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 12:14 PM
liz

For Italian, it depends what you want to eat.

Having lived in Boston for 6 years (and just moved back to D.C), I can tell you that not all restaurants prepare everything well. I LOVE pasta. So for BEST PASTA my vote goes for Il Panino off of Hanover. Not Il Panino Express, but the Trattoria. When you see the line of people out front, you're there. Also Pomodoro on Hanover for fish, if that's your thing.

Prezza is good...the most modern of all restaurants in the N.E. Terramia is good as well, pricey and the service can be slow.

Many restaurants do not serve dessert, so head over to Mike's for that. Head over to Cafe Grafitti for coffee. You'll read why they named it that.

Enjoy!