Search

Boston in April

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boston in April

My husband and I want to go to Boston in April for our anniversary, which I just realized is the weekend before the Boston Marathon. I realize hotels will probably be more expensive that weekend, right? We want to go to Fenway Park and do lots of sightseeing in Boston since we've never been. How early do hotels and things book up with the marathon? I like the idea of Hotel Commonwealth because of the location to Fenway but is there another place we should try? Want something nice and unique to Boston. Are the crowds unbearable? We want to come Friday-Sunday. Thanks for your help!
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 05:54 PM

It will definitely be busy in the city because it's the marathon and the start of school vacation week. But unbearable? Not at all. The Hotel Commonwealth is a great place to stay, the Sox will be in town so the area will be very lively and there's a T stop at the hotel so easy access to other parts of the city. I'm sure you'll have a great time!
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 06:09 PM
TKT

The sooner the better for booking hotels in April. I don't know what your price range is, but Boston Hotels are expensive, without many bargains in the city proper. The Commonwealth is convenient, but not as convenient as Back Bay hotels.

The sox schedule is out
http://boston.redsox.mlb.com
Plan well ahead for a sox game. There are also tours of fenway.

The crowds at major museums and historic places will be large, as they will for dinner out on Friday/Saturday night. Plan ahead.
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 06:51 PM

We've spent the weekend before the Marathon in Boston many, many years as Champions on Ice is often that weekend. It's never been very busy. Most often, it's been very, very quiet.

I have no idea why the hotel rates are so high on Friday and Saturday night, as most of the runners do not check in until Sunday, and many do not even stay in Boston (the race starts in Hopkinton).
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 06:52 PM

PS Be sure to take a walk down Commonwealth Ave, as usually the magnolia trees are in bloom that weekend, and also a walk through the Public Gardens!
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 07:48 PM

Last year we were in Boston for the weekend prior to the Marathon- they were setting up the stands on Boylston St, and getting the road saw horses ready on sides of streets, but that was the only obstacle, = sometimes having to walk on the other side of the road -

It was actually not that crowded - it was a sunny weekend so there was lots of activity on Newbury Street, but we had reservations for dinner on Friday night at Hammersley's Bistor and Saturday night at Piccolo Nido in the North End - which we had made about two months in advance - we went to brunch on Saturday at Sonsie's with a reservation we made that morning -

Djkbooks is so right - we walked down Comm Ave and it was gorgeous, we actually sat on benches there early in the morning and had our coffee there.

We happened to stay at the Eliot Hotel and loved it.

We had Sunday Easter brunch at the Eliot Hotel restaurant, Clios.

You can look at opentable.com to read reviews and make dinner reservations avoiding phone calls.

Depending on the timing of the game you go to, you may be able to do one of those Fenway tours mentioned, out of town family of ours have enjoyed those.

If you like museums, a nice option that time of year if the weather is nice is the Isabella Steward Gardner museum that has a lovely courtyard garden and the museum and building are interesting

If you know you want to go that weekend, I would get at least the hotel rezzie out ofthe way sooner than later also.
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 04:01 AM

Red Sox tix start to go on sale in December, including some individual games. Others go on sale in January or February. It can be a pain to sit around online, but that is the best way to get tix. if you plan early, it is doable.

The Hotel Commonwealth is in a nice location. It has 2 very good restaurants. Great Bay is an outstanding seafood place, and I really recommend it, especially if you are staying right there. Also, Eastern Standard is a more casual restaurant in the hotel and is quite good. I had brunch there one Sunday and really enjoyed it.

I don't think the crowds will be unbearable. It will be a busy weekend, but not too bad. As others suggested, make sure to do your hotel resv early. And make your dinner resv early too, if you want to go someplace really nice, book it about a month in advance to get a good time.

Old Oct 18th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your help. We will book the hotel early and think about restaurants too. The magnolia trees sound beautiful. Any more advice welcome!
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 12:10 PM

you might get a kick out of my pictures. I was at the Patriots Day Sox game last year and the marathon. A few photos are at chinacat.shutterfly.com in the "Patriots Day in Boston" collection.
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 12:41 PM

I stayed at the Hotel Commonwealth last summer and loved it. Do not wait too long to make reservations.
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 01:23 PM
TKT

Just checking, you do know that it is best not to drive around Boston?
Ideally don't drive in, take Amtrak.
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 01:48 PM

It's not clear where the OP lives. There's a significant difference between driving TO Boston and driving IN Boston. To drive in from a nearby state, and then just park in a garage (preferably at or near your hotel) is often cheaper and more convenient than taking public transit.
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

This is great! We flying in from Denver and plan to take public transit. We're not going to fool with a car. We like being outdoors and plan on walking a lot around the city.
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 04:27 PM

I've stayed at the Commonwealth hotel several times, most recently last week.

Love the hotel and the location. I flew in and used public transportation. the Kenmore square T stop is right outside the hotel. Fenway Park is walking distance.