Search

Boston Hotel help

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2008, 10:57 AM
jcn
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boston Hotel help

My husband and I will be traveling to Boston in late September for our 15th Anniversary. I just purchased tickets for a Red Sox/Yankees game and now we need to find a hotel that's either relatively close to or easily accessible to Fenway by train. I know there are tons of hotels and I've looked at many of them but internet sites are sometimes deceiving. I would like something more than a Holiday Inn considering it's a special anniversary for us, but I don't plan to spend $500 per night. About $300/night is as high as I'd want to go, if that's possible. This may be the one and only time we go to Boston so I'd like it to be special. The ballgame will definitely be the highlight for both of us but coming back to an inviting place to spend the night will make it perfect. Any suggestions will be much appreciated!
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 11:14 AM

Fenway is on the Green Line, which means its a very easy T ride from most downtown hotels. Its actually walking distance from the Copley Square area, just about a 15 minute walk or so. In fact, after the game, the t-stops at Kenmore are so crowded, you're better off walking back. (or having a drink somewhere and getting the T back a little later). I think you can do reasonably well for $300/night. Check the Colonnade, or the Westin or Sheraton at Copley place. You might find something close to your price.

If you do want to stay in the Kenmore area, you might check out the Hotel Commonwealth. I don't know what the rooms are like, but the 2 restaurants, the bar, and the common areas are very nice. Then you'd be a 2 minute stroll from Fenway, a 15 minute walk from downtown, and within spitting distance of the Kenmore T stop. I don't know what the rates would be like in Spetember though.
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 11:18 AM
jcn
Original Poster

Thanks so much, china cat. I'll start my search of these hotels now and see what I come up with. I've looked at all of them but didn't really know where they were in reference to everything else.

It's so hard to make a choice when you've never been to the city before and don't really know what to expect.

I appreciate your help!
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 11:54 AM
yk

Boston is relatively small, and Fenway park is kind of in the city, so wherever you stay won't be really too far from it.

If you want something less "chain-like", you can look into the Eliot, or Lenox, or Copley Sq Hotel (just done renovation, reopen in Fall 2008). All these are walkalbe from Fenway, or just a short T ride.

Alternatively, you can stay at a place closer to the Boston Commons (still on the Green Line), such as Nine Zero, the Taj. They are usually quite expensive though if you're coming for a weekend you might catch a weekend rate.
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 12:22 PM

I second yk's recommendations, although I have to point out, it's the Boston Common, not Commons. Sorry, pet peeve of mine.

Old Aug 11th, 2008, 01:44 PM

If you have ever wanted to learn to use Priceline, Boston is the place to use it.

You will not get a boutique hotel like the Eliot, but all the big chains like Sheraton and Marriott are often available for half price.

It all depends on what else is going on in town.
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 02:07 PM

Close to Fenway is the "Best Western Boston - The Inn at Longwood Medical". You can walk from the hotel to the Fenway.

Don't be thrown off by the "medical" in the name. It's in the Longwood Medical area that's all.

Fenway is on the same street as the hotel so you can't even get lost! It's about a 5 minute walk.

There area is nice and safe to walk at night coming back from a game.
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 02:15 PM

Before I answer this question I need to know if you will be cheering for Yankees or Red Sox at the game.
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 02:15 PM

I totally agree that learning to use Priceline or Hotwire is best for booking a hotel in Boston. I've always been very pleased with the 4* properties. The savings more than offset taxi fares.
Old Aug 12th, 2008, 08:50 AM
jcn
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all your input.

Gail, we'll be cheering for the Red Sox.......however, we live in the south and are primarily Braves fans (they haven't had much of a season this year, though) No matter which team you're loyal to, it's always easy to cheer for the Red Sox. Fenway is such an American icon, we are so excited about getting to go there.

Again, thanks for all your help. I was able to use American Express points and booked our flight with Delta and a room at the Westin Copley Place. Please don't tell me anything bad about it because I don't think we can cancel reservations at this point. We've stayed at the Westin in Atlanta and loved it so I hope it'll be OK.

Thanks again!

Old Aug 12th, 2008, 09:27 AM

the Westin Copley Plaza is fine. You're adjacent to the Copley Place shopping mall (high end shopping) which can be nice particularly if the weather is bad. And right across the street from the Prudential center.

you can visit the Maparium (sp?) at the Christian Science center which is practically right outside the door, or go see the John Singer Sargent murals at the Boston Public library. And LOTS of good eating in the neighborhood.

Also, consider a Fenway Park tour. they show you lots of different parts of the park that you won't see during the game (like up on the wall, in the press box, and maybe inside the wall).

the atmosphere around Fenway for a Sox-Yankees game is particularly crazy. it will be fun. And I think there is some chance that either the Sox or Yankees could be on the verge of clinching or being eliminated from the playoffs around then, well it could be very special indeed. Have a great time!
Old Aug 12th, 2008, 09:40 AM

We stayed at the Marriott Copley and walked to and from Fenway for a concert a few years ago. It was a nice stroll. In fact, we bought weekend passes for the T, and ended up using them only to get to and from the airport. You can pretty much walk all around Boston from there.

I think you will really like that area. Check out Newbury Street for some cute cafes and shops. As china_cat said, there is plenty to do here.

A friend of mine took the Fenway tour, BTW, and sent me some really cool pics. He really enjoyed it.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Aug 12th, 2008, 10:19 AM

Your hotel is a perfect location for exploring Boston. (Including Fenway)
Old Aug 12th, 2008, 10:48 AM

The Westin Copley is great. Hope you have a good time!
Old Aug 12th, 2008, 11:10 AM

You should be happy at the Westin Copley - nice upscale area. It's connected to two shopping/eating complexes. One side is called the Prudential and the other side is called Copley. They're connected by a glass connector over the street.

There's a subway stop at Copley to get to Fenway. The subway/bus system is referred to as the "T" in Boston.

When you get here buy something with the Red Sox logo and wear it. You won't look like a tourist because it seems like every other person here is wearing a baseball cap or something with the Sox logo on it.
Old Aug 12th, 2008, 12:54 PM

Your hotel is in a perfect location. If you are fit and willing, you could even walk to Fenway from there, but it is also a few short stops away on MBTA.

You do not really want to stay in area of Fenway anyway - although on public transportation, there really is nothing else nearby - except Boston University and by the end of September they will all have figured out how to buy illegal booze and still be reveling in their non-parent situation.
Old Aug 12th, 2008, 01:33 PM

If jcn had gone with the Best Western Boston it still would have been a good choice since it's a nice/clean/modern hotel and Fenway was in their plans. They would have been close enough to Fenway to walk, but the hotel is just a block or so from Chilren's Hospital, Brigham and Women's Hosp. and Beth Israel - not exactly a party zone.

As I wrote earlier, Copley is good. It didn't come into my radar when I was thinking the Fenway area.
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 01:44 PM
jcn
Original Poster

Thanks so much! We're looking forward to our trip. We'll definitely try to do the Fenway tour. We'll only be there early Friday afternoon and Saturday...leaving at noon on Sunday. I hope we have time to hit the highpoints of the city.

Again, thanks for your help. We'll be sure and buy a Red Sox shirt or two.
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 05:19 PM

Here's a vote for the Marriott Courtyard at Copley Square - it's in a beautiful old building and we loved it.
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 05:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I like the Taj overlooking the Public Garden, a fireplace in the lounge. A roof top dining/dancing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -