Boston Hotel Recommendations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning a trip to Boston for 4 nights in mid September and were hoping to stay in a location that was walking distance to shops, and restaurants. We were thinking about reserving a room at the Hotel Commonwealth and were wondering if it was in a good location? Also, would there be any other hotels you would recommend? We are looking to spend less than $400/night.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 09:15 AM

Hotel Commonwealth is in a great location and it's a very nice hotel. It's around the corner from Fenway Park and has a couple of very nice bars and restaurants located inside. Also a nice walk to the Back Bay. If you don't stay at the Commonwealth, stay somewhere in the Back Bay/Copley Sq area.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 10:06 AM

The Chandler hotel is fine.Quiet neighbourhood but not far from everything and not expensive for Boston.Paul
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 10:18 AM

Commonwealth is a lovely hotel - and you can walk to Back Bay/Copley area - but I agree with Wyatt if you don't stay there, I'd stay closer to the Newbury St/Back Bay/Copley area - and if you don't want to be right in the middle of the shopping/Pru/Copley Place then you could pick something further down the end of Newbury like the Eliot Hotel on Comm Ave, which is lovely and convenient - and blocks closer to the action than the Commonwealth Hotel.

Otherwise, you have many choices in Copley/Pru area (Copley Plaza, Westin, etc) but the Eliot is nice since it is just a the Mass Ave end of Newbury, close to everything, but not a chain hotel.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 10:56 AM

Hotel commonwealth is in a great location..and no car is necessary.

Many of the room face the "green monster"
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 11:32 AM

I second the Eliot, as Escargot suggested (and I'm finding that Escargot's advice and suggestions are always on the mark, I'm a fellow Les Zygomate fan, too!). It's a lovely boutique hotel with a fantastic restaurant, Clio. While it's situated near the heart of Back Bay, it's fairly quiet, quaint and charming. It's in a somewhat residential neighborhood, as Back Bay can be. The Commonwealth is right in Fenway, not the most charming area unless you're a huge Sox fan. And you like sports bars.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 11:39 AM

Fine location, but I think you can do even better if you stay closer to downtown/Back Bay. Westin, Back Bay Hilton, Marriot Long Wharf and several newer hotels in that area and closer to Faneuil Hall. Some people really like Seaport Hotel which is beautiful but not as close to anything.

Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 11:51 AM

I first tried the Commonwealth because it was a block from my daughter's dorm. I came back on later trips because of the great beds, big rooms, the restaurant and fantastic service. Itisn't available all the time, but if you ask, they have a (free, just need to tip) car to drop you off around Boston. There is a T stop right outside the front door as well.

Although the Commonwealth rooms are more expensive, I prefer the Fenway side of the building...bigger rooms, and I like looking at the ball park.