Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Boston car rental - any advice on location?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2023, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning a two week trip in September '23 in and out of Logan. Seems like the prohibitive fees of the last two years are alive and well, and I know that it's more $$ to rent at the airport than in the city. That said, it doesn't make sense to me to rent from an outlier location and end up with a pricey cab ride just to get there. Anyone done this lately who'd recommend either plan? Due to a disability and the resulting need to travel with too much stuff, we rent a standard. Don't care which rental company, just want a decent experience. Ideas?
Also, there are some warnings about the Sumner Tunnel being closed Fri-Sunday at specific times - how long with that last? Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 19th, 2023, 06:10 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We always get a cab at Logan to take us to car rental agencies on Atlantic Avenue, the other side of the tunnel from Logan, parallel to the water. Well worth the taxi ride.Enterprise and Budget are there, maybe others too.

Last edited by HappyTrvlr; Jan 19th, 2023 at 06:13 PM.
Old Jan 24th, 2023, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

That's great advice, thanks. Unfortunately these agencies typically close by 5 pm, which doesn't work with flights from the West coast, which land at 6 pm earliest. Guess I'm stuck with Logan.
Old Jan 24th, 2023, 06:07 PM

we always fly in from AZ and get cars there.
Old Jan 31st, 2023, 08:19 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't get a car in Boston, if you can manage without one. Driving there is the worst!
Old Feb 1st, 2023, 06:16 AM

When we get a car, we are leaving Boston. If staying in Boston, never get cars.
Old Feb 1st, 2023, 06:56 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bjordan49
That's great advice, thanks. Unfortunately these agencies typically close by 5 pm, which doesn't work with flights from the West coast, which land at 6 pm earliest. Guess I'm stuck with Logan.
The last Amtrak Downeaster train of the day #689 leaves Boston North station at10:30PM and arrives in Dover New Hampshire about midnight. Have a great meal in Boston and then head for the station. Spend the night in Dover NH and then rent there when your car rental spot opens. There are at least 4 Downeaster trains that leave BON during the day. They go up into Maine at least as far as Augusta.
Old Feb 2nd, 2023, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by tomfuller
The last Amtrak Downeaster train of the day #689 leaves Boston North station at10:30PM and arrives in Dover New Hampshire about midnight. Have a great meal in Boston and then head for the station. Spend the night in Dover NH and then rent there when your car rental spot opens. There are at least 4 Downeaster trains that leave BON during the day. They go up into Maine at least as far as Augusta.
unfortunately they are traveling with a lot of stuff due to a disability. It's been years since I went by train from North Station and I din't recall if there is any help with luggage. Taking a bus north from Logan might be easier. The drivers always store luggage underneath.
Old Feb 2nd, 2023, 07:17 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dfrostnh
unfortunately they are traveling with a lot of stuff due to a disability. It's been years since I went by train from North Station and I din't recall if there is any help with luggage. Taking a bus north from Logan might be easier. The drivers always store luggage underneath.
Yes there is passenger assistance at Boston North station but not at Dover NH. To get from Logan terminal E, to BON take bus 55 or 66 to get to the Airport Blue Line station. Blue line 4 stops to Government Center where you switch to the Green Line to TD Garden/North Station. Fare is $2.40 per person. There is a statue of Bobby Orr in front of the station. Correction on the end of the Downeaster-It ends at Brunswick ME.
Old Feb 2nd, 2023, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

So sorry this became unnecessarily complicated. No, I am not going to drive in Boston. Our first destination is the Berkshires. I was hoping to get a cheaper rental in the city rather than the high fees from the airport, but the city agencies close by 5 pm and our plane lands at 6:30 from Seattle, which is actually what I mean by west. If you are a disabled traveler you are traveling not only with luggage, but some sort of assistance, like a rollator or a wheelchair. This makes public transportation, like buses, a nightmare. However, I actually spoke to a human at Mass Transport who assured me that all buses in Boston come with driver assistance in loading and all buses kneel. That's a huge deal. So I will manage a trip to the car rental at Logan. I refuse to stop traveling despite its restrictions, but it does help to be organized, and to access the creative support found here. Thanks.
Old Feb 3rd, 2023, 12:07 AM

Bjordan49, hope you can keep traveling. Debating and discussing options is part of the fun here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -