Search

Boston at Night

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boston at Night

I'm traveling in two weeks with 7 co-workers
for a 5 day training in Boston. We will arrive downtown about 4:30 p.m. on a Sunday. We will have that evening and every night that week after 5:00 p.m. free. What is there to do during those hours? We want suggestions for eating, shopping, history sites, cultural activities, etc. Can you help? I'm especially worried that everything will be closed on Sunday evening.

Thanks
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 02:13 PM

Hi,
Unfortunately, Boston does not have much of a late night life. The historical sites will be closed. However, you can still get a taste of the city. Where are you staying? You can walk the Freedom Trail (since it stays light till about 8pmish). It starts at the Park Street church by the Boston Common. You can walk around the Boston Common and Public Garden. Shakespeare in the Park starts in August and is in the park. Fanuil Hall is a touristy place to visit, the North end for great italian food, Downtown Crossing for the famous Filenes Basement,andCambridge to walk around Harvard University. Check out Boston.com for listings of cultural activities that may be taking place the week that you are here. Good luck.
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. Will any restaurants or Fanuiel Hall be open on Sunday evening? I'm going to suggest that we do the Freedom Walk when we first arrive. My hotel info is at my office, but I believe it's the Park Plaza Hotel.
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. Will any restaurants or Fanuil Hall be open on Sunday evening? I'm going to suggest that we do the Freedom Walk when we first arrive. My hotel info is at my office, but I believe it's the Park Plaza Hotel.
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 03:01 PM

Most restaurants will be open Sunday night. In Fanueil Hall, Kingfish Hall, Rustic Kitchen and Houston's are some options.
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 05:31 PM

I was there last Fall and tucked into the public library and Trinity Church after dark. (granted, it gets dark earlier in the Fall) They are right next to one another and good stops. The Italian North End was pretty lively at night.
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Great suggestions! Thanks for the help.
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 08:14 PM

A good restaurant for a group, which also has a nice bar and music attached is Les Zygomates
you can check is out at leszygomates.com -
the food is excellent and it is always nice, I think, to go to a place that also has music. We often go there when friends are in town adn they always love it.

In the North End, we like Piccolo Nido, Sage and Rabia's- but for a group I would go to Piccolo and they take reservations (it's on North St) and it is always fun to walk around afterwards, especially on Hanover Street, and visit the cafes and dessert/coffee places of which there are many to choose from, including Mikes Pastry.

You could also go up to the Skywalk Observatory at the Prudential - great views even at night, especially on a clear night - and a small historical exhibit inside.

boston.citysearch.com can give you some good ideas too.

On a nice night we like eating outside at Parish Cafe on Boylston st, Stephanie's on Newbury or Sonsie's on Newbury.

You can always jump on the T and visit another area and see a show. Blue Man Group, comedy, etc - in Somerville in Davis Sq we like Jimmy Tingles place - "off broadway" and his one man show is funny - and there are great restaurants on the same street - you can check that out on jtoffbroadway.com and see if it works for you, he usually has great discounts available for dining nearby also.

and of course, when it boston, it's always fun to chekc out an irish pub - look at them on bostonirishpubs.com

you coudl also check to see if there is anything going on at the Charles River Esplanade - look at that on boston.about.com

or an evening on the harbor one of the cruises -
bostonharborcruises.com and boston-online.com
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 08:16 PM

if you are intersted in museums, see which ones have any evening hours while you are there - museum of science (body works exhibition), MFA, and you can always shop at the Pru Shops, Copley Place, etc - you can find their hours on line also.