Boston-4th of July

May 16th, 2005, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Boston-4th of July

We are arriving in Boston (drive from NYC) on Monday, July 4 sometime late that morning or early afternoon. WE (two couples and one teenager) will be spending one night at the Marriott Residence Inn Tudor Wharf. I understand that this hotel is in Charlestown, and it should give us good proximity to the July 4 festivites. Any suggestions on touristy things to see (walk or transportation) in the area, or dining options?
May 16th, 2005, 10:05 AM

Check out bostonharborfest.com for listing of various holiday activities. This should give you location, time of fireworks, etc.

I would not recommend heading to Esplanade along Charles River. While this is a great traditional activity, by the time you arrive in Boston park will be beyond packed and you will not be able to hear or see anything. Instead, check out schedule of other activities.

Do not know what is actually open on 7/4 in way of restaurants, etc. Are you only spending one night in Boston area or just one night at this hotel?
May 16th, 2005, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

We are only in Boston for one night, then we head out 1A along the coast to Portsmouth for a couple of nights. I was thinking that the festivities will be mobbed with people. In a way, I'd kinda like to go whale-watching since we won't have time on the other days. Hubby and I have been many times (from Provincetown) but my brother, his fiance, and her daughter have never seen anthing like that . Even so, I hate to miss out on historic things to see and do in Boston.

Food--we like just about anything and plan to feast on seafood the following two days......
May 16th, 2005, 03:09 PM

Don't think whale watching is going to work if you get in early afternoon - unless you plan to go the next AM.

Historic things - with that limited amount of time I would just plan on walking Freedom Trail and seeing a few things. I then might take a walk thru North End and find some Italian place that looks good.

I really have no sense, though, of whether restaurants will be open, mobbed, or even closed on that day. Boston makes such a big deal out of 7/4 that any of those possibilities might be the case.

If you can't get answqers from harborfest site, it might be worth posting a question here with title like "what is open in Boston on 7/4"
May 16th, 2005, 03:15 PM

I'd say try and go to the Esplanade, for the concert and fireworks. The Boston Pops does a great job and the fire works are really well done. The entire city, just about is there for the event. If you can go a bit early and bring a blanket and picnic, it's alot of fun.

I don't know if the buildings will be open on 7/4, you'd think they might be, but alot are staffed by volunteers, so starting at the State House, and follow the trail around you will get to see alot of the city and stop where and when you get hungry, since the trail leads to Fanuiel Hall and Little Italy.

Enjoy Boston!!
May 16th, 2005, 03:55 PM

If I were doing this again, I would find a good seat on the Harbor as near to a monitor as possible and just wait for the fireworks. You will never be able to get close enough to the Shell to experience the concert that way. The crowd itself is worth the trip to see all the unique people and costumes. There were lots of vendors selling food and drinks.
Another possiblity is to go to the State House (I think) to hear the reading of the document that morning. Or maybe at noon. You might not be there early enough for that.
May 16th, 2005, 04:24 PM

We made reservations one year at a restaurant overlooking the river on the Cambridge side. I think it is called The Sail Loft. You had a great view of the firworks.