One Day and Two Nights in Boston

Old Mar 29th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One Day and Two Nights in Boston

We have a very short stop in Boston, I'd love some input on things not to miss so I can try and work them into our trip please. Also any recommendations on central but not to pricey places to say. We are two people, Australian, relatively fit and we enjoy pretty much anything. I've got a huge list, and I'm not sure which is the most important. We love to walk, and we tend to cover a lot of ground. Any tips would be great
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 03:00 PM

Having said: "We love to walk, and we tend to cover a lot of ground," I'd think your one Boston day will be well spent doing the Freedom Trail. Eating in the North End along the way (would strongly recommend Neptune Oyster for standard New England seafood, Pizzeria Regina for pizza, and Mamma Maria or Prezza for a pricey but excellent Northern Italian dinner). Should you have any leftover time, a stroll down Newbury Street would be a good thing to do.

Sorry to say, expensive accommodations in Boston tend to be standard. But I say spend the extra bucks and stay someplace centrally located -- it's really not worth the hassle trying to travel into the city center, especially not by car.
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 04:26 PM

I agree with everything bachslunch said, and would add the New England Holocaust Memorial (http://www.nehm.com/) It only takes a few minutes, and is right by Faneuil Hall.
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 05:28 PM

Agree if you have only one day the Freedom Trail is it. Boston also has a bunch of great museums - but what it;s most about is bering the cradle of American Liberty.

If you get a chance check out the movie ( I cannot for the life of me remember the name) about the battles of Lexington and Concord - and how a handful of Minutemen delayed the Redcoats at Lexington long enough for more militia to gather in Concord, where they defeated the British in a pitched battle. The Redcoats were rescued by a much larger force of troops sent out from Boston but the militia harried the entire force back to Boston in disgrace.

The whole Freedom trail - and esp Paul Revere's ride the night before the British attack make much more sense in the overall context.
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 06:52 PM

You should check out priceline.com for the best hotel rates.

You didn't say when you were coming, but if the weather warms up, the Duck Tour is a fun thing to do; you can then walk back to the places that piqued your interest.

I agree that the North End would be a good place to eat. You can walk up Hanover Street (across from Fanuell Hall) and find a vast selection of places to eat with all kinds of opinions about which is the best.