Border crossing canada-us

Jul 7th, 2003, 09:44 PM
Original Poster

Border crossing canada-us

Hi,
Can you travel from canada into the us with only a valid driver's licence? We will be travelling on a greyhound bus but my wife cannot find her birth certificate and we are leaving tomorrow.
Thanks for the help,
Thor
Jul 7th, 2003, 09:56 PM

There are lots of posts about this on the Canada board. Go to that board and run a search and you'll be more confused than you are already.

Generally, upon entering the US you are supposed to show either a 1) passport, or 2) certified copy of your birth certificate and picture id. However, the rules are not hard and fast, as many people don't have the desired documentation when they get to the border. Bring everything else your wife might have in the way of ID and be prepared to be hastled.

Also, Greyhound may have its own policies that you need to know. I'd suggest you call Greyhound before heading to the station.
Jul 8th, 2003, 03:27 AM

I'm sure you know this, but a driver's license doesn't prove citizenship. I agree with gocats, call Greyhound.
Jul 8th, 2003, 06:02 AM

I would never travel to Canada or Mexico without a BC or passport.
There has been much chatter about requiring a passport to enter CA. My company requires us to take it with us because the rules could change anytime... and if we have it we simply have one less thing to worry about.
You can usually get a certified copy of your BC within a day or two unless you are a US citizen born overseas on a military installation.
Jul 8th, 2003, 06:38 AM

I can't comment on what the rules are supposed to be but I whenever I have driven into Canada, all I ever had on me was my driver's license. Never had any problems. This was traveling from NY to Montreal.

However, this was also pre-2001 so perhaps they are more strict now.
Jul 8th, 2003, 06:42 AM

you should be fine!!!!
Jul 8th, 2003, 07:13 AM

Traveled from Detoit to Canada on Saturday, July 5th. When we were coming back into the US, the border guard was really obnoxious. He chastised us for not having a birth certificate or passport with us. I told him that I had been to Canada about 50 times and had never needed it to get back in. He let us in after a lecture.
Jul 8th, 2003, 07:35 AM

Those sallys at the border should not be letting people in with a drivers license, plain and simple. The lack of security is ridiculous, especially after that knucklehead terrorist got caught coming through with fertilizer in WA. I know requiring a passport is not absolute security but at least make things a little bit more challenging. Next time I'm going to try my gym mebership card and tell them "I've used it 50 times in the past".
Jul 8th, 2003, 07:45 AM

the poster is inquiring about travel TO the us FROM canada and not the other way around. i have no idea about how the greyhound thing works but i can tell you (my wife is canadian i'm american) from many airport border crossings that if you don't have proof of canadian citizenship (NOT a DRIVERS LICENSE!) you will be s.o.l.
Jul 8th, 2003, 07:48 AM

You need proof of citizenship to enter the USA from Canada. It may or may not be requested, but if it is, you had better have it.
Jul 8th, 2003, 07:49 AM

I recently went to Canada for a night and we ran into MAJOR hassles trying to return with only our driver's licenses. They wanted a birth certificate or passport - a license is no longer good enough. Eventually they let us through after much butt-kissing and cajoling on our part but it was big hassle.
Jul 8th, 2003, 08:13 AM

Before 9/11, we crossed from Canada to U.S.-we were taking our grandchildren to Disney. We had brought birth certs for the kids and forgot to bring our own! We had drivers licence, credit cards etc. and our hearts nearly stopped when the custom official was not going to let us in. She gave us a huge lecture and finally let us in. I will never let that happen again! Go to a notary public today and get a notarized letter stating your birthdate and place of birth etc. At least might help?
Jul 8th, 2003, 12:44 PM

If you cannot find your birth certificate or passport, your voter's registration will work.

Keith
Jul 8th, 2003, 02:10 PM

Forgive me for being blunt, but it doesn't show a lot of foresight to be looking for a critical document the day before the trip unless it was a last-minute trip to begin with. Carrying a passport saves time for me -- and for everyone behind me in line. Incomplete documents often waste more than just the time of the person carrying them and tightening up border checks is a logical part of enhancing security in the times that we find ourselves in. When it comes to travel planning, this is the wrong area to shortchange.