Orlando to the coast........

Jul 6th, 2003, 10:52 PM
Original Poster

Orlando to the coast........

Hi
We are an English family staying in Orlando and as well as doing all the usual stuff my teenagers (19, 16 and 15) want to visit a beach. Do we head west or east? They don't want anywhere too lively - just somewhere to enjoy a day on the sands, something too eat etc. Are there miles of empty golden sands anywhere (for the adults!!) or am I kidding myself? Is the sea ok for bathing (we would probably avoid doing so in England, pollution etc). Any suggestions gratefully received.
Jul 7th, 2003, 01:30 AM

Go West. The beaches St. Petersburg and Clearwater are lovely. White sand actually with lovely pale turquoise water (unless there has been a storm churning up the bottom). The East coast is also fine just a stronger surf and a little coarser sand.
Jul 7th, 2003, 03:31 AM

I don't disagree that the Gulf beaches are blessed with a whiter shade of sand and we're never sorry to end up there. But in an effort to offer an alternative (because we all love choices), you might want to also take a look at Cocoa Beach on the Atlantic side. It's about an hour's easy drive east from the Orlando airport on the Beeline Highway and we've found it to be economical as a beach destination; fairly active, but not overbearingly so. (And yes, you can definitely swim in the ocean.)
Jul 7th, 2003, 04:56 AM
dln

East or west, you are in for a treat when you swim in Florida water. IT'S WARM!

Jul 7th, 2003, 05:10 AM

Morgana, I live in Orlando and will offer up my humble opinion. The west coast beaches are nicer but farther and more crowded no waves. Clearwater beach is my favorite but is very lively and hard to find parking. East Coast beaches have more waves. For driving on the beach Try New Smyrna beach, for no driving Cocoa Beach or Melbourne Beach. For pristine less crowded try Canaveral National Seashore (Playlinda beach may encounter nude sunbathers.) Search the net for these beaches and you should get what you are looking for. Have fun.
Jul 7th, 2003, 06:52 AM
OliveOyl

I have the solution--a west coast beach that fits Morgana's criteria with only one exception--you'll have to bring your own food. Otherwise, there are miles and miles of unspoiled white sand beaches on a beautiful barrier island reached by car with plentiful free parking once you pay the minimal (.35?) entrance fee even at the height of tourist season, facilities for changing and showering, all within an easy 10-15 minute drive of St Pete Beach. The place is Ft Desoto State Park. It's gorgeous with clean clear water and current water temperature 87 F. Ssssh though...it's a secret.

Jul 8th, 2003, 12:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your replies. I totally love the sound of Fort Desoto and have looked it up on a web site. Sounds ideal and bringing our own food isn't a problem. I hink that's where we are heading! Thanks again - can't wait to get there.......
Jul 8th, 2003, 03:07 PM

Hi, I'm a former St.Petersburg resident. You will LOVE Ft. DeSoto, it is beautiful! Have a great vacation!