Victoria: Passport for travel to/from Canada?

Jul 30th, 2005, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Victoria: Passport for travel to/from Canada?

Hi we will be traveling to Seattle in a few weeks and I was considering taking the ferry to Victoria from Port Angeles. The ferry web sites state that US drivers licenses are adequate as well as birth certificates for the kids however they highly recommend a passport if you have one.......Is this an issue? Our passports have expired and I'm not sure we could get them renewed in time without paying for them to be expeditied (+ 60 each)....of course I don't want to chance any problem at the border going either way. Thanks!
Jul 30th, 2005, 12:34 PM

This issue gets addressed a lot on the Canada forum. The short answer is - no, strictly speaking you don't need a passport. You need 2 pieces of photo ID, ideally including a driver's licence, as well as a birth certificate; and if you have kids with you, you need some kind of proof that they belong to you or have permission to travel with you. Having said that - customs officers can decide to delay you by asking lots of questions and generally being extremely thorough. The easiest way around this is to have a passport. So the website is about as accurate as it can be. If you really want to take every possible step to avoid problems and inconvenience, I'd get your passports renewed. These days with heightened security everywhere it's probably the best way to go.
Jul 30th, 2005, 03:19 PM

Note the birth cirtificates are not just for the kids. Everybody needs one since a drivers lic is not proof of citizenship. And the problem will not be getting into Canada - but back into the US.

Even if your passports are out of date I would bring them - they're still much better than just a drivers lic.
Jul 30th, 2005, 03:21 PM

Right. On a recent trip, there was no problem getting into Canada, but the border guard wanted ID when we returned, and we were glad we had our passports with us.
Aug 3rd, 2005, 08:48 AM

Yes - do bring passports. WE've had trouble getting back into the US with only driver's licenses (the lady said "anyone can get those". I also understand that shortly passports will be mandatory.
Aug 3rd, 2005, 12:12 PM

"The lady" was an idiot.

Currently, treaties between the US and Canada state that passports are not required for citizens to travel between the two countries.

Maybe you should have told "the lady" that it's not all that tough to get an illegal passport. (I know, I know: who needs the hassle with a border agent?)
Aug 3rd, 2005, 04:57 PM

The correct answer is this. You need one of each:

1. a government-issued document that proves identity.

2. a document that shows citizenship.

A passport satisfy both; and is therefore the preferred way for most. However, you can bring both a driver license (proves ID), and a birth certificate (proves citizenship).
Aug 3rd, 2005, 05:42 PM

The US border crossing is tightening considerably. Passports are best. Barring that, you should bring a certified copy of everyone's birth certificate and photo ids. (Note - certified - not just a copy) Bring your expired passports, too.

When we entered on our boat a few weeks ago, customs in the San Juan Islands, was boarding and searching every boat. We had never seen this before. We used to be able to call in with a pin number issued annually as we crossed into US waters. The rules changed in April, and it is much more difficult to get a pin number.