Bonita Springs area beaches

Old May 9th, 2004, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bonita Springs area beaches

Where would you go to find a great beach in this area. We are staying at the Hyatt Coconut Point, but most reviews don't particularly like the beach the hotel has access to ? So where should we go, we don't mind driving 30 minutes or so.. for a great beach experience.

Old May 9th, 2004, 07:27 PM

Go to Sanibel or Captiva. That would be my choice. If you have a boat, escape to Little Gasparilla Island.
Old May 9th, 2004, 08:32 PM

Just returned 5/7 four months in Bonita/Pelican Landing. We share the beach with Hyatt. Lots of erosion problems and not much beach when high tide. Try Barefoot Beach. Enter off Bonita Beach Road west of 41. You drive past a guard house and beautiful homes before another guard house where you pay $4. Beautiful beach. Also, Lovers Key has a very nice beach. Go north on Hickory and Lovers Key State Park will be on your left. Have fun and let me know what you find.
Old May 10th, 2004, 04:11 AM
OliveOyl

I haven't been since the erosion problems so have no idea what that is like, and what has happened (it's near an inlet into Estero Bay though, and areas such as that are ever changing), but despite what has been said, do take the water shuttle out there. It's an absolutely beautiful ride across Estero Bay to the island. It doesn't take long to get out and you will enjoy the ride if nothing else. Stay for a while, shell, then take the next one back in if you don't care for that beach. By the way...look for the humongous osprey nest near the landing for the shuttle on the mainland.

The resort is beautiful and has several terrific pools too if you are pool people. (We aren't)

My parents used to spend their winters in Bonita Beach and for old times sake, my husband and I stop by each time we are down there. Lovers Key that dotsy mention has a very pretty beach, but it takes some time to get out there from Coconut Point--worth the ride out just to see it and the surrounding area though, at least one of your days.

Old May 10th, 2004, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, sounds like some very good ideas and choices.