COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Best 7-day sightseeing tour of CA

Old May 2nd, 2004, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Best 7-day sightseeing tour of CA

We have 2 friends (retired couple-early 60's) from Queensland, Australia who will be visiting CA for the first time. They will arrive at LAX on May 16(Sun), were booked at a hotel by Disneyland for the first 3 days of their stay & have reservations for a day at Disneyland. They will stay with us in Orange County for the remainder of their visit. What do you think is the best way to show them the best sights in California? We are available to take them for long drives and possibly have 1 or 2 night hotel accommodations. They depart 5/23. Thank you
in advance for your much needed input.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 01:10 PM

One of my favorite spots is strolling down the main street on Balboa Island. All the little shops and open air markets, and there are places to grab a bite to eat. Just a very unique place to spend a couple of hours. The parking is tough...so many houses crowded on this little isle, but thats part of what I enjoyed about it. Each of them has their own little front yard usually fenced in according to each persons style or taste. Never seen anything like it. You just have to be in the mood to stroll, because you may have to park a few blocks away from main street. I go there everytime I visit California. And dont forget to have a frozen chocolate covered banana.........
Old May 9th, 2004, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Ellz, thank you so much for your reply.
We'll definitely take our Australian friends to see Balboa Is. and take a stroll down Main street like you've suggested. I think they will enjoy that. Have a great weekend.
Old May 9th, 2004, 03:49 PM

When I lived in So Cal and had visitors, I found that everyone seemed to want to do all the touristy stuff, the stuff they see in movies and on T.V. -- stars on Hollywood Blvd., the Hollywood sign, Malibu and the canyon, Rodeo Drive, etc... We even saw a movie being filmed on the streets of Hollywood once, just by accident, it was great fun to watch.

Universal Studios could be fun, or tickets to some television taping. A visit to the Getty Museum may be nice, or a trip to Griffith Observatory. A beach day might be nice, just hanging out at Huntington or looking at the tidepools in Laguna.

We attended several concerts at the Hollywood Bowl and always had a good time -- you can bring a picnic and the setting is historic and fabulous.

I'll probably think of more, but that's what immediately comes to mind.
Old May 10th, 2004, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

Questionmotives, thank you for your interesting input. We'll seriously
consider your suggestions especially
the Getty's Museum, the Griffith Observatory, Malibu, Rodeo Dr., & Hollywood.

Old May 10th, 2004, 04:56 PM

Please note that the Griffith Park Observatory is closed for repairs but the grounds are open. If you live in Orange County, the Bowers Musuem is beautiful and has lovely grounds. Visit downtown Disney of course. Go to the San Juan Mission in San Juan Capistrano and walk the historic Los Rios Street. Also if you are in the mood for a night stay, try San Diego. Lots of things to do there. Take ferry to Coronado, visit Zoo and Old Towne. And don't forget La Jolla. That's a great beach towm. I like going to Long Beach for the great Aquarium and the Queen Mary. I hope you and your friends have a wonderful time. Oh and by the way, I live in the OC.
Old May 10th, 2004, 04:59 PM

Oh I almost forgot try to take a ride over to Catalina for a day trip. You can book that from Dana Point.