Bob's Big Boy Turns 70 in Burbank

Jun 24th, 2019, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Bob's Big Boy Turns 70 in Burbank

When I was a kid (yes, I was young once), my favorite hamburger joint in the world was Bobís Big Boy in Pasadena. An afternoon or evening at Bobís was a special treat, and those double-deck hamburgers were delicious. Although that Bobís is long gone, luckily there is still one in Burbank. For almost 20 years, my business partner Kevin and I would sometimes indulge ourselves in ďBig Boy Fridays.Ē The Burbank Bobís is the oldest existing Bobís Big Boy in the U.S., and it celebrates its 70th anniversary in 2019. Using that as an excuse (like Tracy and I needed one), we, along with friends Rob and Donna, recently paid a visit and enjoyed a breakfast of Big Boy Burgers, fries, onion rings, a dinner salad and a special Hot Fudge Cake. Yes breakfast!!! We even dined in a booth that was once occupied by four of the most famous people on earth. Come and visit a place that offers my favorite hamburger.

https://travelswithmaitaitom.com/bob...oluca-lake-ca/

Jun 24th, 2019, 11:25 AM

I too have special memories of Bob's Big Boy restaurant located in Dearborn, Michigan. In the late '60's, my boyfriend and I deemed it our favorite restaurant. Sadly, it closed last year.
Jun 24th, 2019, 12:19 PM

I remember that one as I used to work at NBC. Good memories.
Jun 24th, 2019, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

Christina, I was a partner in a voice-over recording studio not too far away. It's one reason weight loss was never a big goal of mine.
Jun 24th, 2019, 05:35 PM

Bob's in Burbank was one of our go-to spots after high school football and basketball games. We had our 'own' Bob's (actually 2) in Glendale, but they were both in the neighborhood of our arch rival high school so Riverside Drive was 'neutral ground.' LOL. High school drama...

The original International House of Pancakes (spelled out!) was also on Riverside, just a block or two from Bob's. It opened in the 1950s. We'd take my grandmother there every Sunday, and she'd order the same thing. Cheese blintz.
Jun 24th, 2019, 06:02 PM

Wow. I went to the one in Burbank when I was 16 years old. It was a big deal!!!
Jun 24th, 2019, 06:48 PM

True story - my BIL is the spitting image. When he was in college, someone approached him and offered him a job with the company. Not sure what they were going to do with him, other than PR events.

One time I had one kiddo while they were at the ER with another one. My niece's fever was spiking and I needed to know if I should take her to the doctor. I had them paged = twice. Nada. The third time I called back and said to look for the guy who looked like the Shoney's Big Boy. As he retold the story, they walked directly to him, asked him if he were XYZ. He said "yes" and they led him to the phone. Obviously, this was pre cell phones.

I bought a vintage BB bank for his Christmas present. I have no idea if he's going to like it or not.
Jun 24th, 2019, 11:11 PM

Good memories of Bob's when we went to California....
Jun 25th, 2019, 05:06 AM

Once we got our driver's license, my friends and I would go to the Bob's Big Boy drive in. I loved their burgers with the special sauce, but I REALLY loved their onion rings.
Jun 26th, 2019, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

"but I REALLY loved their onion rings."

Incredibly, the recent visit was the first time I ever tried their onion rings. Always ordered fries
Jun 26th, 2019, 06:20 AM

The last Big Boy DW and I ate in was the one in Baker CA next to the worlds tallest thermometer. Sadly the restaurant is closed and the thermometer is not lit. I'll have to try to get to Burbank's Big Boy.
In other news, the last Blockbuster Video store on earth is still doing well in Bend Oregon.
Jun 26th, 2019, 10:37 AM

Thanks for sharing this! Loved your write-up and all the photos. I grew up in the Midwest (Omaha) and even we had a couple Bob's Big Boy locations--it was a family favorite growing up. Oddly enough, my go-to "meal" there was their chili spaghetti--I got it nearly every time and still remember what it tasted (and looked) like.
Jun 26th, 2019, 06:00 PM

mai tai tom, for a little more local nostalgia, have you been to the Tam O'Shanter? It was my favorite 'grown-up' restaurant when I was a kid and hasn't changed much in my lifetime. It claims to be the oldest restaurant in L.A.
Jun 26th, 2019, 10:44 PM

My parents took us to Bob’s Big Boy here in Pasadena regularly. We also used to go there when we were a lot older. I loved going there as the burgers were really good and also the onion rings and shakes. A few weeks ago, I treated a friend to lunch and she wanted to go to Noodle World on Valley in Alhambra. The restaurant structure used to be a Bob’s Big Boy restaurant and the Big Boy statue still greets one when one enters the restaurant although it's an Asian noodle house.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...e14-story.html

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en...oiowCnoECA4QBg

Happy Travels!
Jun 27th, 2019, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

"he wanted to go to Noodle World on Valley in Alhambra. The restaurant structure used to be a Bob’s Big Boy restaurant and the Big Boy statue still greets one when one enters the restaurant although it's an Asian noodle house...."

OK ... I have to go here! Thanks.

Jun 29th, 2019, 01:47 AM

Yeah, you'll have to drop by Noodle World and see the Big Boy. My friend's favorite restaurant is that Noodle World which is why I took her there. She's up in age and can't drive anymore so sometimes I drive down to Alhambra and pick her up and take her out for lunch. It was great to see the Big Boy smiling at me while I was eating my Pad Thai.

Happy Travels!
Jun 30th, 2019, 09:57 AM

Friday nights, after football. Summit County, Ohio with girlfriends.
Some memories are forever
Jun 30th, 2019, 12:29 PM

Loved that place back in 2015

Like everyone else, Big Boy was on of those special places to eat when I was growing up. Doing so helped me to grow out!