Search

Birmingham, Alabama

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2004, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Birmingham, Alabama

I am heading to Birmingham, Alabama for Labor Day weekend. I will be staying at the Sheratan Birmingham at 2101 Civic Center Drive.

I am traveling alone and would like suggestions of restaurants, attractions/museums/events in Birmingham and near by cities or towns.
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 02:49 AM

Do not miss seeing the civil rights memorial at the Southern Poverty Law Center. It is the most stunning monument I have ever seen in its execution and meaning.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 06:37 AM

Hello. You don't say whether or not you will have a car so I am going to provide some suggestions for the downtown area not too far from your hotel. Keep in mind that the area around your hotel will not have many options on a holiday weekend for dining.
I would highly recommend a visit to the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute near Kelly Ingram Park. It will, however, be closed on Labor Day.
The Birmingham Art Museum is closed for renovations until October.
Check birminghamweekly.com for other
entertainment suggestions. There is an event called Birmingham Live with rock/heavy metal music and festival type food on Friday night from 6-11 p.m. and it is free.
If you like old-style R&B Frankie Beverly and Maze are at the Alabama Theatre (a wonderfully restored venue) on Friday evening.
Out in the burbs you could visit the Botanical Gardens but I don't think they are at their best at this time of the year.
There is also the recently restored Vulcan park with B'ham's bum-baring answer to the Statue of Liberty. It is worth a brief stop for the nice views of the surrounding area.
For food suggestions:

Upscale
Highland's at 2011 11th Ave. S.
In all the magazines this is THE place to eat in B'ham. Great food with a southern flare.
Bottega on Highland Ave.
John Edwards ate here last week and I second the motion.
Chex Fonfon at 2007 11th Ave. S.
French but not fussy.
Ocean at 1218 20th St. S.
Great fresh fish.

Moderate to Cheap
Golden Temple at 1901 11th Ave. S.
Great veggie food and ultra cheap lunch.
Fat Sam's at 1154 11th Ave. S.
Good cheap sandwiches.
Pita Stop at 1106 12th St. S.
Great Middle Eastern food.
Dreamland Ribs at 1427 14th Ave, S.
Most people don't think they have been to B'ham without BBQ. Not the original but an ok substitute.
Taj India at 2226 Highland Ave.
Good Indian and one of the few listed here (maybe the only) open on Sunday.

Labor Day in Birmingham the locals typically head for 1 last trip to the beach or lake so there may not be a great deal happening. I would recommend the Five Points/Southside/Lakeview areas as your best bet. This is the area I have highlighted with my restaurant recommendations.

If you have other questions I will try to help you enjoy your stay.
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

I will have a car and am considering spending one day in Montgomery. I appreciate any assistance.
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 06:10 AM

In Montgomery you could visit the First White House of the Confederacy, The Civil Rights Memorial and a number of other civil rights related homes and churches. http://www.discoverourtown.com/TownP...at=Attractions.
If instead you drove 1.5 hrs north instead of south you could be in Huntsville and see the US Space & Rocket Center which houses a fullsize shuttle, external tank with solid rocket boosters all attached, an SR71 Blackbird and home of Space Camp and Aviation Challenge. There is also an actual Saturn V and the only vertical Saturn V (replica) in the world here. This museum is open on Labor Day, not sure about the Montgomery attractions.