Search

Questions for Planning Itinerary in Richmond/Williamsburg area

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2012, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions for Planning Itinerary in Richmond/Williamsburg area

Hi everyone,
I am attending a teacher institute at Colonial Williamsburg Jun 24-30. I am flying into Richmond on June 23 at noon and have to be in Williamsburg at 5 on the 24th. What can I reasonably do in that amount of time? Is DC even an option in that amount of time? Are there any other areas that I must see other than DC? I will be visiting Wlliamsburg, Jamestown, and Yorktown in the institute. Thanks for any help.
Old Mar 26th, 2012, 03:37 PM

DC is not, but Richmond has a lot to do and see.

You will need a rental car, and it you have a GPS, it will be useful.

Drive to Richmond from the airport on I-64. Get off at Boulevard toward the museum district. On your left about three minutes off the Interstate is Buzz and Ned's the best BBQ in Richmond. Continue on Boulevard across Broad Street.

You will know when you have reached Monument Avenue when you find a statue in your way. These are monuments to Confederate notables, generals and civilians (two) and to tennis champion Arthur Ashe, a local. You can turn right on Monument and loop the entire street in about ten minutes, returning to Boulevard and turning left. This is a very attractive neighborhood, and the statues are mostly imposing.

If you like history, the Virginia Historical Society on Boulevard does a good job of covering the political and social history of Virginia. Two doors down in the recently renovated Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, with distinguished collections of American art; major collections of Faberge, Art Nouveau; and art Deco; and interesting African and Asian art, in addition to European paintings, including impressionists and sporting art from Paul Mellon. You can have lunch here if you passed on Buzz and Ned's, either cheaply in the cafeteria or expensively upstairs. Both of these museums are free.

Three other important sites are harder to find. Hollywood Cemetery is along the James in Oregon Hill, a seedy neighborhood below Virginia Commonwealth University. In fact, one of the best restaurants in the city is located in the neighborhood, but the neighborhood is not prepossessing. The cemetery has the graves of Jefferson Davis and family and JEB Stuart, lots of Virginia authors like Ellen Glasgow, and a largish Confederate cemetery (and Jewish Confederate cemetery) at the end opposite the river. The monuments are extravagant as only Victorian monuments can be, and it is beautifully planted.

Toward downtown, off Cary Street, is the Tredegar Iron Works, the main source of Confederate heavy armaments and now the headquarters for the Battle of Richmond National Monument or whatever. You can join people crossing a footbridge to an island in the James or you can walk toward downtown along a series of canals. There are many, many other historical sites in Richmond, including St John's Church in Church Hill, south of the downtown, where Patrick Henry gave his famous Liberty or Death speech. The Church Hill neighborhood is worth a stroll.

Carytown is perhaps the most interesting place to shop, and there are good places to eat in all price ranges and cuisines. Carytown is on both sides of Cary Street to the south of I-195. It is one way southbound. Paralleling it is Main, which has lots of interesting places to eat in the blocks on both sides of Boulevard.

One of the glories of Richmond (and I am not a native or even a year round resident) is the many restaurants and shops tucked into residential neighborhoods. In the Fan (attractive residential streets north of VCU) we like KubaKuba and Strawberry Street Cafe.

At Grove and Libbie (the neighborhood where those streets intersect) is the superb nose-to-tail restaurant Blue Goat. Not expensive. There is a neighborhood movie theatre there, then the Continental, a newly opened bar with ambitious and delicious food and a real 20-something scene.

At Patterson and Libbie is the Grill, a much lower key bar with reliably good and inexpensive food. There is a very good local ice cream shop almost next door for dessert. And on and on.

The other great thing in Richmond, particularly for women, is consignment shops. Apparently no one in Richmond ever wears anything more than once before selling it on. I got a pair of brand new Brooks Brothers wool trousers (mens) for $8.99 at the Goodwill boutique on Cary Street.

Enjoy. I will try to be specific if you have questions.
Old Mar 26th, 2012, 03:43 PM

Among amazing restaurants in neighborhoods, I left out the new Stella's which is wowing everyone despite being obsurely located in the midst of a Leave It to Beaver neighborhood just north of I-195.
Old Mar 27th, 2012, 06:30 AM

I would not go to Strawberry Street Cafe, or The Grill if I was a visitor in Richmond.

The new Stella's is wonderful as is KubaKuba....I like Blue Goat more for a cocktail than for a meal.

Buz (one z, not two...sorry Janet pet peeve)& Ned's has good BBQ but not always a good experience...rude staff, long wait, etc.

I would hop around the corner on Broad St. to Comfort for a much better meal and experience.

If you can swing it, stay at The Jefferson. If that is out of budget, go to Lemaire for a cocktail and perhaps a very good, reasonably priced meal.

Other places worth the trip: Black Sheep, Millie's, Lulu's.

Definitely will need a car. Carytown is great for hanging out....there's a new street taco type of place getting hype...."Don't Look Back" (I know, stupid name)that opened last week.
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 01:47 AM

Well, the OP is a teacher, so I didn't think some places would be appropriate, and I included some lower priced places both for that reason and because Richmond to me is characterized by well-loved neighborhood places. Nobody would go to Joe's Inn for the food, but it is packed. Ditto the Dairy Bar in Scott's Addition. Strawberry Street Cafe is one of those. Decent food, and I can take my granddaughters.

I spend the winter within walking distance of Grove and Libbie. Of the places to eat, Caturra Cafe is boring and overpriced. Phil's (new Phil's) is much loved as a place to drink but has awful food. The Blue Goat has an ambitious menu and excellent execution but is not cheap. It is also extremely noisy owing to its concrete cave decor, but I like it and go back when there is something I want on the menu enough to spend $100 per couple. The Continental (the Old Phil's location) is owned by the same people who own Stella's and has a nice combination of less ambitious food at lower prices than Blue Goat. Whe we went right after it opened, it had a varied clientele, from old people (two booths) to an extended family (one booth) but was absolutely dominated by frat boys and sorority girls -- ten years later. I think when the new new place opens, many of them will be gone and we can enjoy the food. The Grill on Patterson is the least ambitious but the execution is excellent, especially for oysters and calamari, and the prices are cheap. It is not crowded except after church on Sundays. Lots of choices.

I like Black Sheep and would drive there before I would walk to Cafe Caturra. I take a lot of out-of-towners there but the neighborhood is really scary to them and the pace of service is glacial, mostly because of the kitchen since the waitstaff has a lot of time to stand around.

I think I highjacked this thread. I was trying to emphasize my point about neighborhood places while controlling the cost for someone on what I presume is a limited budget. Why eat at Panera Bread or a chain deli when you can eat with locals at pretty much the same price? Sorry!
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 03:01 AM

Take rt 5 up along the river and check out some of the plantations along the way. Then get a good book on the Civil war and stop at some of the many battlefields/cites in the area. Richmond has many sites itself, including an island/now a park where US prisoners were kept although Libby prison (where my great great great uncle was held) has been torn down. The iron works near there is an historic site near the prison area.
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 04:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I say DC isn't completely out of the picture depending on what kind of traveller you are. If you like leisurely travel then I would take the excellent suggestions given above. If you you don't mind driving and packing a lot into what wouldn't be a proper visit to DC, I think you could see a enough to make it worth your limited time.

Richmond is a very easy airport to travel to/from so I'd say it's possible for you to be on the road before 1, checked into a hotel by 3:30 and on the National Mall by 4:00 ish. There's more there than a person can see in a day but it's a target rich environment (museums, major galleries, monuments, walk by's of Capitol and/or White House) The Smithsonian will have summer hours in effect so their major museums will be open until 7:30. You could return to the Mall early the next morning to visit some of the memorials and catch an hour or so of another museum opening at 10.

I'd be on the road to Williamsburg by noon maybe slightly later if your 5 pm arrival is a soft one. It's a three hour drive from downtown DC to Wmburg allowing some buffer time for weekend summer traffic which can be unpredictable.

Not for the faint of heart but I know if I was within a couple of hours of a major league city that I hadn't visited before, I'd be giving the above a shot. If you'll be back or travel frequently to the area pass on it and enjoy Richmond. I especially like the recommendation to drive down Route 5 to Wmburg, which is a very pretty drive and will keep you off of I 64 (again with the summer traffic).
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 05:25 AM

Acki....I did not recommend Cafe Caturra or Panera Bread, so don't know where that is coming from.

My husband can walk to The Grill from his office and was the first customer at the Continental. Strawberry Street Cafe is "okay"...went there in college and went there when our daughter lived on Strawberry Street but it certainly is nothing special and has a definite 1995 vibe to it.

Joe's is full of fan locals...started eating there as a child with my brother who lived in the Fan, but it's not a "go-to" spot by any means...it's cheap spaghetti (saying that as a fan of the spaghetti a la Greek).

There are plenty of inexpensive and good places in Richmond.

Others that come to mind: Mom's Siam, The Tavern, Bamboo Cafe, Mint (recently opened in the former Davis & Green location), Bacchus, Six Burner, CousCous, Edo's Squid.
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 05:25 AM

Davis & Green should be "Davis & Main"
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 06:43 AM

Sorry, Janet. Wouldn't imply that you were a Cafe Caturra regular! I was only talking about the number of places available in any given neighborhood, astonishing to people from other cities!

But you do make the point that Ricmonders do love their local favorites -- food here, but neighborhood, street, churches, clubs, etc. Sometimes it is a mystery: the richest people in Richmond live near the C&O railroad tracks and hear coal trains rolling by all night; Richmonders (ites?) love Mekong, but I never see an Asian in there. Food's fine, but it isn't good enough to win top spots in polls year after year.
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 06:50 AM

Perhaps the OP is traveling on a budget but I wouldn't make that assumption simply b/c he or she is a teacher. Also not exactly sure what you're getting at with the Leave It To Beaver comment. Or the coal train thing.

Thanks to both posters for all the restaurant rec's -- I think Richmond has so much to offer.

FWIW when I'm headed back from DC to Williamsburg I will get take out from Pho 79 on Staples Mill Rd.
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 07:22 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I think Richmond is a great town and has lots to do. I would add Agecroft Hall to the recommendations you've already received.

http://www.agecrofthall.com/

I agree with obxgirl, though, that a DC trip would be a good idea if you've never been and won't have the opportunity to visit again in the near future.

I would also add Charlottesville as a possible destination. It's an hour from Richmond and has a lot to offer. You could wander around the Unversity of Virginia, designed by Jefferson, and pair it with a tour of Monticello.
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 12:01 PM

Actually I eat at Cafe Caturra from time to time, but I would not recommend it to a visitor who is looking for Richmond eats.

I'm a Richmond native who has lived here 40 of my nearly 48 years on the planet. Also, I am REALLY into Richmond dining and food...to say it's a passion of mine would be an understatement. So, when I see some places recommended, it gets my feathers riled

Mekong's beer list is their attraction and I recommend them when someone loves beer. The only time I've eaten there is with a large group (I have a friend who can walk there and knows the menu and staff).

BTW, Midlothian (zip code 23113) has the highest income per capital in the state, not just the Richmond area....far away from the railroad tracks you speak of. But the "river" crowd and "West Enders" don't want people to know that
Old Mar 29th, 2012, 02:34 AM

Well, can we agree

(1) that Richmond is a wonderful city with great things to see,
(2)that it is nothing like what forms most people's impression of the city (the view from I-95 on the way to Florida),
(3) that there are terrific places to eat in all sorts of odd locations and at all price points, and
(4) that it is a pretty eccentric place (a virtue in my eyes)?
Old Mar 29th, 2012, 05:00 AM

We can agree
Old Mar 29th, 2012, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I am coming from Michigan and am a pretty adventurous traveler. I don't know when I will be in the area again so I might venture to DC. I will take the suggestion of driving route 5. Are there any other "must do" scenic roads to travel?
Old Mar 29th, 2012, 06:19 PM

I do not think that DC is out of the question but I have only done it once - if you have never been to DC I would surely try. I have only been to DC twice but enjoyed both times very much.

I loved Williamsburg as well.

Cannot speak to the Richmond eats - only have gone where JanetKMR has taken me
Old Mar 30th, 2012, 04:11 AM

I would do Charlottesville before D.C. because of the traffic/stress factor....it's 2 hours from Richmond and close to three from Williamsburg and is NOT an easy drive. As an example, a friend's parents funeral was in Arlington last year and he chartered a bus simply because he didn't want people to deal with driving and the Northern VA/DC traffic.
Old Apr 1st, 2012, 12:45 PM

I live in Richmond and am not going to get into the food debate, except to say I'm not a big fan of the Grill (just seems like your average sports bar to me). But Richmond does have tons of great local spots, and if you wander around the Fan, Museum District or Carytown you're likely to find a good place to eat.

I'd second Ackislander's recommendations of things to see, especially the drive on Monument.

Mostly I just posted to point out that if you're landing in Richmond at noon, and trying to drive to DC, you're not likely to get there with much time for museums (if that's your thing) before they close. Then again, if you're more interested in monuments, I don't suppose those close at all. (I just looked up the Jefferson Memorial, for example, and it's open 24 hours). So if a sort of driving tour of the major sites in DC is what you're after, you might find the two-hour drive worth it. You would be going into the city in the afternoon, which should make traffic a bit easier (and if you go, I wouldn't try to go back south/out of the city anywhere near 5 p.m.). But just remember, it is two hours from Richmond with no traffic problems. You could still come back through Richmond the next day and do a bit of a driving tour here (Monument or whatever, and then Route 5 out to Williamsburg).
Old Apr 1st, 2012, 01:36 PM

>>Mostly I just posted to point out that if you're landing in Richmond at noon, and trying to drive to DC, you're not likely to get there with much time for museums (if that's your thing) before they close.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -