St. Louis for 3 days in June

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. I will be in St. Louis for three days with my boyfriend in June. We are both first time visitors. Besides going to a Cardinals game - which we may do - what are some "don't miss" activities, destinations, and restaurants? Also, we are looking for a safe and clean hotel to stay at but please keep in mind that we will be on a budget. I am open to any and all suggestions! Thank you so much!
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 09:48 PM

St. Louis is an interesting city with lots to do.
In summer, they have the "Muny Opera", held outdoors, with great shows.
Big sight: the arch, go up into it if you can.
The Mississippi River waterfront. Check out what is there now: used to be riverboats and showboats that were fun. They do old time morality shows with much audience participation - the later the show, the more participation.
The old St Louis Cathedral is beautiful, covered inside with some of the finest gold mosaics anywhere in the world - really worth seeing.
The Forest Park zoo (they may still have shows) and botanical gardens and the jewel box (a large greenhouse garden that changes with the sesons) are all really worth while.
The Art Museum is quite good and worth seeing.
Across the River is the small town of St Charles. A few years ago, it developed rapidly into a mecca for clubs and restaurants with fine jazz bands, dancers, etc. I haven't been in several years, but you might ask some locals if it is still going strong.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 08:40 AM

Can't really help you with a hotel--I might try the Drury. It has a nice location next to Union Station (where there are no trains, by the way).

I'd go to the Arch. Be sure to take in the film on the making of the structure. Very interesting.

Anheuser Bush is a fun tour and free I think. It has a huge history and they show you the clydesdale stables. Not as much free beer at the end as there used to be.

Forest Park houses our zoo, science museum, art museum, Jewel Box (greenhouse type place) and lots of bike paths. All of these attractions are free, thanks to the city and county resident tax dollars. (You will pay for say, the train at the zoo, or the omnimax show at the science center, etc, but there is no admission charge.)
There is a fun restaurant in Forest Park called the Boathouse. Food is ok, but the location is the best. You can rent row boats and tour the little lakes that now don't smell anymore since they just renovated the whole park. The Boathouse is a block or two from the Muny Opera. They get very busy before shows. You may want to see if you can reservations. If you arrive at around 5 or 5:30ish, you can stand in line for free tickets at the Muny. Otherwise the cheap seats are pretty cheap. It's an outside huge theater --check out the website for what's playing. Dress is casual--our parents used to make us dress up--because it gets so hot! It was miserable as a kid in that heat in your nice clothes!

There is a great online restaurant review site here: saucemagazine.com

You will need a car. Our public transportation system stinks compared to many others.

On the north end of downtown (on Washington Ave.) there is an awesome museum that attracts every age group. It's called the City Museum. It's not super cheap, but it is nothing like you will ever see again. An artist designed the whole place, inside and out, with recycled materials...big stuff, like, there's an old school bus set up on the roof that looks like it might fall off. Words can't describe it. YOu could spend the whole day, in case it rains. It's online, too.

Have fun!

Old Jun 13th, 2007, 08:57 AM

You may want ot look into the Hapmpton Inn and Suites - brand new - right across from forest park.

There will be a Napolean exhibit at the Art Museum then. It si supposed to be very good. I agree that you shoudl go to the boar house for a meal. There are some great local lives bands there on the weekends and if you are for a bit of exercise and fun youshoudl rent the paddle boats and check out the lake and little canals.

What kind of food do you like?

Old Jun 13th, 2007, 09:34 AM

I just returned from St. Louis this past weekend, having attended Twangfest (http://www.twangfest.com). Don't miss Ted Drewes frozen custard. Go to the Soulard neighborhood and walk around the shops and restaurants there. It's just north of the Anheuser Busch complex, and that tour is always fun. There are lots of restaurants and places to shop in the U City Loop area (Delmar near University City). Blueberry Hill has good burgers; Saleem's has good Middle Eastern food; Miss Saigon has decent Vietnamese food.
You can get pretty good Italian food in the Hill section of St. Louis.
Check the Riverfront Times web site for ideas:
http://www.rftstl.com
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

We are actually looking for good, authentic Italian food.... even a hole-in-the-wall is fine as long as the food is good. Not much money to spend. I keep reading about "The Hill" district but fear it might be pricey! Any suggestions?
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 11:24 AM

Italian eats on the hill could include "Rigazzi's" (try a frozen fish bowl of beer), "Zia's", or "Favazza's" and won't be too pricey. For a hole in the wall you could try "Mr. B's". If someone recommends "Cunnetto's", however, ignore them (too long a wait for OK food if you ask me). If you want to spend a little more try "Lo Russo's Cucina" and you still won't break your bank. If you do stay at the Drury near Union Station, the restaurant there is also Italian (Lombardo's) and is pretty good. All these are listed on www.saucemagazine.com.

The City Museum is a unique place if you like a physically active experience. There is a Dog Museum if you like dogs or Grant's Farm or Purina Farms if you like live animals. The latter two are free, but you pay to park at Grant's Farm. On the other hand, they give free beer samples! If you like history, there are several historic homes throughout the area which you can tour.

Blueberry Hill in U-City is a good place for lunch or Soda Fountain Square south of the downtown area in Lafayette Square. If you are really adventuresome, you could try Crown Candy Kitchen for lunch and ice cream, but the neighborhood is not the best. Earlier poster mentioned Ted Drewes for frozen custard -- definitely a STL tradition.

If you are on a budget, you can also stay in the burbs and still not be too far from downtown attractions. A hotel along I-44 will get you downtown in 15-20 minutes even if you are in Fenton (try Drury Inn) or Sunset Hills (Holiday Inn, Days Inn, or Comfort Inn), for example. Check the weekend rates at some of the downtown hotels too, you never know.

Have fun!
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

You guys are the BEST! Thanks so much or your suggestions! I keep looking for updates!
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 11:53 AM

There is a little family owned Italian Restaurnat that we like,...not fancy at all, but rated in the top 5 Best It. Restaurants in STL.

It is called Tumo's. It is on South Hampton- just south of the Hill but in South StL.

I will try to find the exzct adress for you.
It is a little off my beaten path so I am not sure what cross street is nearby.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 05:20 PM
yk

We went there last year for a 3-day weekend. Went to the Arch, Art museum, Pulitzer Foundation, Cahokia Mounds, Missouri Botanical Garden, Anheuser-Busch tour.

You can read my trip report here:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34770947
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

YK: Thank you for the forward to your trip notes. I read them all and gained a great deal of valuable information! I'm really looking forward to our trip now. I welcome any more suggestions.....

Judy