St Louis with 17 high school kids

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2004, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will have one Saturday in June to see the sights of St Louis. I've done some research-is the City Museum fun for teens? Should we spend the time & money to go up the Arch? How much time for shopping at Union Station? Ideas for local(not a chain), not expensive, place for a meal.
Thanks for your help!
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 11:15 AM

I am a resident of St.Louis and have not been to the city museum. I have heard people raving about it, however, they have mostly younger children.
1 hour is plenty of time to spend aat Union Station. Most of the shops are specialty shops and there is a food court. You may as well go up in the arch. You will get some great views.
THere isn't much really in the downtown area these days. If you would like a good local place to eat for teens, I think Seamus McDaniels is good. It's an irish place that has excellent HUGE burgers. It is pretty casual. It is lcoated in Dog Town, off of 40 and Hampton area. I believe it is located on Tamm, off of Oakland.
The zoo is great too - and it's free! THe zoo is really close to Semaus McD's. 'There is also the Science Center, which is also just down from the zoo. It is free. The extra side shows such as Omnimax are extra.
Have fun-
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 11:51 AM

There's a museum under the arch (actually underground, I think) covering the Oregon Trail era. It seems like it was free and we really enjoyed it.

You should do the arch. It is something they will never forget. The wait can be hours long. You may be able to make reservations ahead of time.
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 01:27 PM

Hi!

Definitely take a trip to the top of the arch. The views are terrific, especially on a clear day. There is a museum below about the Jefferson Expansion/Gateway to the West. There are a couple of really good movies there as well, my favorite being the one about the building of the arch (very entertaining and interesting).

As far as Union Station is concerned, keep in mind that it is basically a tourist trap anymore. The parking is high (for St. Louis) and there really isn't much there besides a food court and a few restaurants. The stores are limited to mostly tourist shops selling St. Louis everything and anything.

The city museum is fun, although geared more towards children. Forest Park has more to offer, although its a few miles outside of the city. There you will find the Art Museum, History Museum, and Science Museum, all of which are interesting. The Science Museum is great, and probably better for teens.

For good food there are several restaurants downtown, my favorites being Dooleys (terrific cheddar burgers!) and Charlie Gittos (italian). You will also find some restaurants on The Landing, including the Spaghetti Factory.

Have a good time!
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help. I understand the ride to the top of the Arch is not for the claustrophobic-I may have to make that optional. We'll probably skip Union Station and go to Forest Park instead. Should be a great trip!