Family trip to St. Louis

Search

Family trip to St. Louis

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Family trip to St. Louis

Planning to take the kids (9 & 12) to St. Louis for a few days in March. I'm thinking City Museum one day (lunch at Laclede's Landing? Suggestions?). The next day at the Arch, and then thought we might try to see the Cathedral Basilica since downtown. Considering a third day to visit the Art Museum and take a self-guided walking tour (weather permitting) at Forest Park. I've always wanted to visit the Botanical Gardens, so thinking of doing that instead of Forest Park? Wondering if the weather is nice, if there is a place to rent bikes at Forest Park?
Also thinking about perusing Washington University's campus - just to check it out. Isn't Fitz's restaurant nearby?
Also thinking about Central West End or dinner on "The Hill"? Not sure where that is, but have read about it and comments about great Italian Food.
Question on where to stay. Prefer a suite with an indoor pool that is also moderately priced. Would like to stay downtown 2 nights while we hit City Museum and the Arch. Would appreciate any lodging and fun or unique restaurant tips. We try to avoid chain restaurants if at all possible when traveling (or at least chains we're not familiar with).
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Poor St. Louis. No one has any insights? Every time I visit St. Louis I am reminded how nice of a city it is...but I guess it doesn't have much punch that makes people enthusastic about adding their ideas and comments.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 09:11 AM

Hey Blue Slipper,

Definitely a lot to see in St. Louis. I like that you are visiting the City Museum. Your kids (and you) will love it. The City Museum is quite near a famous Ice Cream/Candy Shop called Crown Candy Kitchen, here's some more info: http://stlouis.about.com/od/restaura...crowncandy.htm

Fitz's is close to Wash U (on the University City Loop). The whole University City Loop offers a great deal of fun for a family.

Regarding food, Cunneto's is an affordable St. Louis classic on the Hill.

Don't miss the Toasted Raviolis or the St. Louis-style pizza while you are in STL. Gooey Butter Cake is another staple of many residents as well. Any bakery would have this breakfast-style dessert.

A place that has just re-opened that you and your family may enjoy for a meal is the Bevo Mill (http://www.bevomillstl.com/). It's a very famous St. Louis landmark. Again, it's close to Shaw's Botanical Garden and the Basilica (aka "New Cathedral" as locals call it). Another local favorite that has great burgers and atmosphere is O'Connells Pub (http://www.saucemagazine.com/oconnells/). You may want to call to make sure that minors are welcome.

If you run out of time, I would recommend skipping Laclede's Landing.

Day One:
City Museum, lunch at Crown Candy, afternoon at University City/Wash U, dessert at Fitz's.

Day Two:
Arch, Old Cathedral, New Cathedral, lunch at O'Connells, Shaw's Botanical Garden, Dinner at Bevo Mill

Day Three:
Art Museum (it's free) in Forest Park, (History Museum if it's raining), quick inexpensive lunch at Imos Pizza located on Hampton and Highway 40.

If you are going to St. Louis, you should definitely make time for a frozen custard concrete at Ted Drewes. They have two locations, one is quite close to the Hill (and Cunneto's), which would make a great one-two punch (Cunneto's for dinner, Ted Drewes for dessert). Do not miss Ted Drewes!

Here's a great resource for you re: food: http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=780

Let me know how your trip goes.

Plenty of St. Louis love here (and there).
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 09:17 AM

I grew up in St. Louis and visit often with my kids. I really like the zoo. Wondering if Grant's Farm is open that time of year? Might be worth a little googling. I take my kids to O'Connell's pub and love the food there. It's not really a kid place. No special high chairs or menu. But your kids wouldn't need that, right? It can be smoky though. Totally great burgers and fries and roast beef. Make sure you order toasted ravioli when you go to the Hill. Another thing to check is if Chuck Berry is playing at Blueberry Hill. I think he performs the first Wednesday of each month. You'd need to find a sitter but it would be fun, if you're a fan.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 09:29 AM

Sorry I didn't see this when you orginally posted it, and sorry that you waited 8 days to top it with a nasty comment . It does not make one too inspired to help out.

The weather in March will really impact your plans. It could be lovely, and it could be cold,damp and nasty. Most spring breaks here are the 3rd week of March, so if that's your week, local attractions could be busy.

The Botanical Gardens is a great place. If your children are boys, they really won't find much to interest them though (sorry to be sexist, but a realist) www.mobot.org

The three main attractions IN Forest Park are the St. Louis Zoo www.stlzoo.org , the St. Louis Art Museum www.slam.org and the Missouri Historical Society www.mohistory.org
all of which your kids should enjoy. The zoo has both inside and outside exhibits so even if the weather is bad, it may still be worthwhile to visit. The park is quite large and has nice bike and skate paths. I don't know that it is really conducive to a walking tour. But this website lists walking tours, Segway tours and bicycle tours, so you should take a look. http://stlouis.missouri.org/citygov/parks/forestpark/

Wash. U's spring break is the week of March 12. www.wustl.edu the campus is lovely.

Can't really offer food ideas without knowing how adventurous your children are. There are very upscale restaurants on the Hill and in the Central West End, also more causal places in both locations. A good place to look up restaurant information is the restaurant guide at http://www.saucemagazine.com/ also there is a restaurant guide on the St. Louis Post-Dispatch's site www.stltoday.com

Not really very good on hotels since I live here. I hear good things about the Westin downtown, they are a Starwood Hotel.811 Spruce Street · St. Louis, Missouri 63102 (314) 621-2000 Don't know if that fits your requirements or budget.

And, yes, the City Museum is great fun, your kids would enjoy it http://www.citymuseum.org/home.asp
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 09:40 AM

Grant's Farm reopens for the season on April 12, 2007.
http://www.grantsfarm.com/
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 09:43 AM

Hi Blueslipper. I think the reason your post did not get more replies is that it is not linked to the Missouri search, and once it sank out of the top 50 it was not seen. I got a chuckle out of your second post; I thought it was wistful, not negative.

I think March would be a good time to visit the Botanical Garden. The website is mobot.org. If you click on "visit" on the left you can get a calendar of what will be blooming. The Orchid Show is going on until March 11, and in years past has been very interesting with the orchids displayed in sculptures made of natural materials. The camellias may still be blooming and they are wonderful!

Have fun on your trip!
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great details - you all gave me exactly what I was looking for. You're right, aloha - I was definitely not trying to be rude - I had just been hoping some St. Louis experts would come to the aid...which they did. I think I must be missing something in order to post it on the Missouri link. What should I have done? Thanks again to peteandem and Liz for all the great links and itinerary help!
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 12:39 PM

When you start a new message, above the space for title, there is a box where you can choose the topic you want to link to. Then when someone comes to the forum and searches for posts on that topic, your post will be in that list. Hope that makes sense
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 12:59 PM

The Hilton at the Ballpark, Drury Plaza, or the Renaissance all have indoor pools. The Renaissance has suites. Our last stay at the Embassy Suites was horrible. The property is going to be rehabbed, but until that time, steer clear!! In my opinion, Lacledes is a thing of the past. If pressed for time, simply a drive through this area is sufficient. More restaurants/shops have moved to the Washington St. area.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 02:59 PM

Liz - Your reply is SO thorough! Icannot add anything!!

except check out - www.stltoday.com

I am not sure if this was said - but rent a little boat at Forest park and enjoy the scenery that way and then enjoy a meal at the Boathouse REstaurant. There are 3 unique places to eat at the park. I do not think you can rent bikes.

have Fun!!
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 03:07 PM
dcd

Received 58 Likes on 4 Posts
blueslipper, I, too, missed your post the first time around. I've lived in St. Louis for the past 28 years. Can't help with specific accomodations as I haven't stayed anywhere. But tripadvisor.com is a great resource. I can say that deciding where to stay is a bit challenging. I'd suggest either downtown or in the Clayton area which is due west of downtown and about a 15 minute drive to downtown.

You've received some excellent advice. I'll give my $.02.

The weather will be iffy in March.

The Art Museum and Botanical Gardens are world class but would bore all 9 & 12 years olds I know.

The Arch and the Lewis & Clark museum below it are good choices. There's a movie on the building of the Arch which might hold their interest. It's not too long. The City Museum is good. I'd skip Lacledes Landing for any sightseeing. It's largely an adult venue although the Old Spaghetti Factory is there and it is popular with the kids. Food is OK. Here's the review: http://stlouis.citysearch.com/review/5729963

St. Louis is known for great Italian restaurants but those kind of places might be lost on the kids.

We have an excellent Science Museum. It's an interactive type place with lots of things for kids to do. There's a planetarium attached to it. Plus, it has an IMAX theatre and kids usually love those. Website is here: http://www.slsc.org/ The Science Center is located across the street (interstate) from the zoo, which I think the boys would also enjoy.

IMHO, there's nothing in the Central West End for the kids activitywise. There are lots of restaurants there. It's the Wash U hangout and tends to cater to the students and to some "cool" adults. Fitz's is there and that's family friendly.

Ted Drewes is an institution here for frozen custard altho it's a little out of the way from the tourist sites you've mentioned. Crown Candy is great but the hood is not the best.

I think I'd show the kids the various websites and see what they'd enjoy doing.

Have fun. There's lots to do here.

Dave

Old Feb 5th, 2007, 03:42 PM

Good idea about the St. Louis Science Center. The kids are a good age for the interactive exhibits there. Also it has an Imax theater usually showing a couple of movies/day. Look on the website Dave gave you (above).

Just an FYI...the Wash. U student hangout is usually considered "the loop" not the CWE. http://www.ucityloop.com/ gives information about the restaurants, the "Walk of Fame" and stores. The coolest place in the Loop to eat is Blueberry Hill.http://www.blueberryhill.com/ It is a bar, but kids eat there all the time. Great burgers and fries, spotty service at busy times. Collections of antique Juke Boxes and tons of 20th century memorabilia (Jetson's Lunch boxes, Star Wars action figures, Brady Bunch Thermos' etc) as well as Pin Ball machines, BRING quarters!

Old Feb 5th, 2007, 03:49 PM
dcd

Bluestar, I forgot that there's also an IMAX theatre in the area below the arch: http://www.nps.gov/archive/jeff/movie_gaw.htm

Dave
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 03:52 PM
dcd

Liz, boy am I am embarrassed confusing the CWE with the Loop.......... Time for this boy to go home. Anyway, I can't think of anything in the CWE the kids would enjoy doing. Dave
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 04:42 PM
dcd

I'm back. I just remembered that the Mo Botanical Garden recently added a large Children's Garden/playground which has been very popular. In March, it's open only on weekends and is weather dependent: http://www.mobot.org/chdpage/chdgarden.html

You'd have to watch the kids there. Perhaps you could strike a deal with them such that they'd stroll the grounds with you in exchange for being able to play in the Children's Garden. Just a thought.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 03:22 AM

Topping for Blueslipper
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 08:44 AM

A few more thoughts:
BBs Jazz, Blues and Soups is a fun place to grab a bite. It's very close to Busch Stadium. Next door is the Broadway Oyster Bar. If you get a chance to lose the kids for an evening, I would highly recommend checking both places out for some great music. The Soulard Blues Band plays on Monday nights at the Oyster Bar. They're one of our favorites.

www.broadwayoysterbar.com/Home_Page.aspx

http://search.cityguide.aol.com/stlo...ps/v-111715163

Old Feb 6th, 2007, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone! I'm taking lots of notes...I love all the insider tips!