Search

Fort Wayne

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2007, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fort Wayne

Wondering about any good resteraunts in Fort Wayne, things to do etc......Will be there for a week!
Old May 16th, 2007, 06:53 AM

In Fort Wayne, people think the thing to do is eat, so I have more restaurant suggestions than things to see.
There are any number of Mexican and Chinese restaurants, inexpensive and pretty good, but for moderate to upscale dining here are a few suggestions: Opus 24, Chappell's, and Paula's on Main for fish. Eddie Merlot's (a small chain, but the original is in Fort Wayne)and Club Soda for steak. Biaggi's (a chain, but a good one) and Italian Connection for Italian. Others would be Park Place, Chop's, Cork 'n Cleaver and Hartley's.
But the best restaurant in town -- is out of town. Joseph DeCuis in Roanoke is pricy, but may well be the best restaurant in Indiana. It's about 15 minutes southwest of Fort Wayne.
For things to see, you're more limited. There is a good zoo, and the Fort Wayne library has one of the best geneology departments in the country. The Lincoln Museum (devoted to Abe and his times) is moderately interesting, as is the art museum, and the Allen County Court House is terriffic if you're an architecture buff. For shopping, Glenbrook Mall or Jefferson Point.
Again, out of town, but the Auburn-Cord-Deusenberg museum (half an hour north) in Auburn is great for automobile enthusiasts.
Ask where you stay about costs for restaurants, as I've given a wide range. Whoever you speak with might have other suggestions or updates too.
Old May 16th, 2007, 08:25 AM

You're right about Fort Wayne being all about food. I agree with all your restaurant suggestions (although I've never heard of Joseph DeCuis, but might make the trip. Another restaurant that we enjoy is Red River at the Marriot, casual but good. As for other things to do, you might take in a Wizards baseball game. If you have a day, you might want to venture to Shipshewana. It's about an hour north of Fort Wayne and has lots of country shopping and a flea market on Tues. and Wed.
Old May 25th, 2007, 07:29 AM

Joseph Decuis, in Roanoke, is without question the best restaurant in the area, probably the State of Indiana. It is definately worth the 15 minute drive. Reservations on weekends are a must. You can check out the menu on their website. www.josephdecuis.com At a minimum, go there for lunch.

I personally think Park Place is over priced. We often go to the Oyster Bar downtown. Hartley's is also very good, but sometimes inconsistent. Club Soda has great food and live jazz on the weekends.

You should go to Coney Island on Main Street for lunch. It's a Fort Wayne institution. Power's Hamburger Shop on S. Harrison is also a fun spot for lunch.

There are several antique shops on Broadway. Any of them can direct you to others in the area.

I think Shipshewana is a bit kitchy and the flea market has a lot of junk. The automobile museum in Auburn is very nice.

ARCH, a local historic preservation society, has a historic downtown walking tour, if you're into that sort of thing. They also run the historical museum in the old Courthouse building downtown. If you like architecture, you should tour the restored Courthouse.

I hope you enjoy your visit.
Old May 25th, 2007, 09:06 AM

Johnny Appleseed Park/Rivergreenway and Old Fort Wayne.

http://www.fortwayneparks.org/index....d=24&Itemid=52

A good walk will help with all the good food people have been suggesting